• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Significant firsts in the kitchen

We all have firsts in cooking...first time making cookies, first time cooking asparagus, first time stuffing a chicken.  The first thing I ever cooked was Kraft Dinner and that was back in the 40s.  Yep, the 40s.  

But then there are those firsts...things we've always put off, things we were so hesitant to try, things we didn't even know we could do.  

Two this week for me.  First time I ever poached chicken and I was stunned at how easy it was, how quickly it happened, and how wonderful the results were. 

And today I made my first ever mayonnaise.  Oh, so good.  Loved it.  I, the decades-long averse cook, made her first mayonnaise.  

I've still never made bread from scratch.  And I don't know how to use my air fryer yet.  My son makes Chicken Pot Pies...I've never made one.  

What are your recent significant firsts?  

• Like 13

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Bravo @Darienne Not recent but some of my firsts that surprised me were first souflee from Julia. Spinach cheese. Total success. That woman could write a guided recipe. I think that gave me courage to try other new to me things. First whole big rock cod. It was gutted but not cleaned. I've shared this beofre - scales like clear discs all over my apartment but stuffed with herbs and roasted - success. Another fish - trout.  I was afraid of the bones as I did not grow up with fish. So easy to eat one side, pull upp and peel away bones and enjoy second side. Back in the pre-internet days with no videos to guide you. I'll be back :)

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

When I was thirteen, I was planning on making cookies but my mother interceded and suggested I make bread.   She coached me through a simple white loaf.   When county fair time came around, she suggested I enter a loaf.    I did, and won the blue ribbon, first prize, adult level!    She was ecstatic, but didn't add when she told the story that that year, I was the only entry in that category, as all the experienced bakers went for more involved bakes.    

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

eGullet member #80.

Probably my most satisfying first was Bearnaise sauce.    We were very young, very budget constrained and dining out was rare.    So when on one of these very rare occasions we met our first Bearnaise, I knew that if we wanted to enjoy it, I'd have to master it.   I used the recipe in Esquire's cookbook For Men, reasoning that if a bachelor could make it, so could I.    The instructions were very complicated and entailed many steps, but it worked.    Over the years, I have simplified it to a one pan, over the flame, throw together emulsion, basically the way I cook.    And basically the reason I have come to try many over-my-head recipes, because I wanted them in our repertory and knew we would not afford them in restaurants.

• Like 8

eGullet member #80.

i'd never cooked anything other than chicken or turkey from the poultry realm. But we found ourselves in Vancouver, BC for a few days and indulged in some ecellent eals. My husbad was taken with a pheasant dish in the style of Coq au Vin. i was in resrtaurant recreation mode so I used Julia's Vol1 C au V recipe. Wher to get pheasant? Of course they had it at the Original Farmers Market. A place I have loved since childhood.  https://farmersmarketla.com/  It was quite good. A one-off as I prefer duck or goose but I did bask a bit in his glowing appreciation. Hey I was 22!

• Like 5

As a child, I used to read cookbooks front to back, and had been given a Betty Crocker (IIRC) cookbook geared towards children. I'd pick something out and ask my Mom if I could make it. One time she had another couple coming over for dinner (friends since I was a toddler) and I asked to make Baked Alaska for their dessert. I don't think that was the first thing I cooked (my guess is grilled cheese or Kraft dinner), but it was an adventure and I was pretty thrilled that it turned out right!

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

27 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

As a child, I used to read cookbooks front to back, and had been given a Betty Crocker (IIRC) cookbook geared towards children. I'd pick something out and ask my Mom if I could make it. One time she had another couple coming over for dinner (friends since I was a toddler) and I asked to make Baked Alaska for their dessert. I don't think that was the first thing I cooked (my guess is grilled cheese or Kraft dinner), but it was an adventure and I was pretty thrilled that it turned out right!

We really do need a Wow!  

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I really can't remember anything that I would consider my first time making it because as early as I can remember, my mother had me helping in the kitchen and I learned to cook from her.

My most significant first was the first time that I ever cooked in a restaurant. In the early seventies, I lived next door to a little greasy spoon that's seated about 35. They also did catering and as a customer with time on her hands, I used to help them out when they were particularly busy setting up for some party. The owner finally convinced me to come to work for him and I started on graveyard shift, 10:00 to 6:00. I started at 10:00 and the woman that was supposed to work with me that night decided to leave at 10:30. I didn't know the menu, and I had never cooked in a restaurant before. Oh, and did I mention that I was also to be waitress, cook, and dishwasher? I was the only one in the place. I just told everyone that if they told me what it was I was willing to cook it if they were willing to try and eat it. I made it through that night and I worked there for another 2 years. The woman that left me stranded got fired the next day.

I learned a lot in that little greasy spoon and the biggest lesson was what you can do if you have to. It gave me the confidence to go on up from there.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Wow, compared with @Tropicalsenior's story, mine is very tame.

Not so much a specific dish, but I still remember my first dinner party ....well, I'd had people over for brunch (still a favorite) or easy pasta and salad meals but this was the first "real" dinner I remember and there were a few firsts involved.  I was in my early 20's. First apartment without a roommate (though I ended up needing them financially from time to time for years afterwards).  Early 1980's.  My menu was cheese, nuts nibbles in the living room. Move to the dining table (like 2 ft away 🙃) for a salad of mixed baby greens. Then, the main course: salmon stuffed with a scallop and sea bass mousse, baked in a puff pastry crust (shaped like a fish, of course) sliced at the table and served with a white wine and caper beurre blanc and steamed asparagus.  Dessert was sort of a layered brownie/vanilla ice cream cake with raspberry coulis and fresh raspberries.  

I'd never made seafood into a mousse nor stuffed a salmon but it worked out nicely.  Never used puff pastry before and admit to purchasing it instead of making it myself.  Never made a beurre blanc but it also came together nicely. For some reason, I got cold feet when it came to adding the sauce.  I was oddly afraid that would make it look like I was showing off or being too fancy so I skipped it.  Too bad, as the dish as I'd imagined it was incomplete without it.  Live and learn!

• Like 7

A lot of impressive firsts! I was always interested in cooking and when received a children's cookbook from someone, I proceeded to work my way through it. I was about 6 and made lunch for the family - I think I was bread with process cheese and weiner coins, melted under the broiler.... I haven't been afraid to try new things and did my first "dinner party" for 8 when I was about 18. Lasagna and garlic bread and salad. I guess my big first was when never having made much more than basic layer cake, I decided that I was capable of doing a 3 tier, filled, frosted and decorated cake for my friend's wedding. It turned out surprisingly well but made me realize that I would never be able to bake cakes like that for money! I think all in all it took me the better part of 3 days!

• Like 6

@BeeZee reminded me of my first and only Baked Alaska . I've mentioned it before. I was maybe 16 and taking care of a 12 year old - the kind of super bright one that later got into several Ivys.  She was easily bored. I got out mom's big 3 ring Betty Cocker Picture Cookbook and she picked Baked Alaska. It came out SO well. No camera. All these things even if one-offs gave me confidence to attempt most anything in the kitchen. Even pulling sugar!

• Like 8

On 7/17/2023 at 8:32 PM, Darienne said:

As so often happens on eGullet, the OP's intent has done a quick 90. Not that memorable "firsts" isn't a worthy topic, but I think that Darienne's question is the more interesting one and gets at the deeper issue of Openness (one of the "Big Five" personality factors) and what we're willing to modify and experience after lo all these many years (for some of us) of cooking. I'm still thinking about my answer...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

As so often happens on eGullet, the OP's intent has done a quick 90

I have to admit that you stopped me in my tracks with that one. So I went back and reread Darienn's original post.

On 7/17/2023 at 6:32 PM, Darienne said:

At 84 years old, there isn't very much that I am doing new or for the first time but, about 5 years ago I joined a bunch of lovable nuts online and for the first time in my life I feel like I have found my people. People that seem to accept me as I am, a place where I feel like I can let it all hang out and not be treated like I'm totally crazy. All my life I've been a basically shy person and have had to force myself to interact with other people so this was a big first for me and I'm certainly glad I did it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I have to admit that you stopped me in my tracks with that one. So I went back and reread Darienn's original post.

At 84 years old, there isn't very much that I am doing new or for the first time but, about 5 years ago I joined a bunch of lovable nuts online and for the first time in my life I feel like I have found my people. People that seem to accept me as I am, a place where I feel like I can let it all hang out and not be treated like I'm totally crazy. All my life I've been a basically shy person and have had to force myself to interact with other people so this was a big first for me and I'm certainly glad I did it.

And I, for one, am glad you did.  (It's also nice to know that I am not the oldest on eG, although no doubt the crabbiest.)  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've spent a lifetime thinking that creamed spinach was an iffy proposition at best.  The very few times I've had it were disappointing or just plain awful. Then a year or so ago I found a recipe that looked appealing so I actually made it myself. Wonder of wonders, it was great. And easy. Count me a convert. 

Thirty or so years ago I had a similar experience with meatloaf. I hated it until I learned how to make it my way. Mine isn't simple; it's labor intensive and kind of fussy. And it's one of the few things I can genuinely claim is my own recipe and not just something I tweaked, since I tweak almost everything.  I haven't made it in years, mostly  because I rarely eat beef any more and because I'm lazy.

Making Coq au Vin for the first time was pretty exciting. I had a party dish!  It became so routine that my husband now makes it instead of me.

I wish I could say I've made a layer cake with frosting, because if I did I would be very proud of myself! Not gonna happen; not in my DNA. Just the idea of cutting a baked cake horizontally makes me run for the xanax. Applying frosting that doesn't look like a bad hair day sends me off for two xanax.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I guess I have two "kitchen firsts" to tell. Even though they aren't recent, they're "Aha" moments that vastly expanded my repertoire. 

I was a devoted fan of the Lynne Rosetto Kasper's radio show "The Splendid Table" from its inception. I learned about ingredients and cooking techniques, and probably gained 15 pounds during the first couple of years of the broadcast. One day she was explaining to a caller why Alfredo Sauce is not generally made in advance, separately from the pasta it's supposed to coat, much less purchased in a jar or packet. She said something like "You want to know the ... sexy ... Roman way of making it?" and she laughed that delicious laugh of hers, then described melting a stick of butter around the drained noodles, stirring in a cup of cream, then handfuls of grated Parmesan as you tossed and stirred until it  coated the pasta and came to the right consistency. Lordy, that sounded good. I tried it. Then I started adding things: gently cooked asparagus or broccoli. Prosciutto or some other cured meat, or maybe chunks of chicken. Herbs at the end, as a garnish, with more Parmesan grated over the top. If you drop by as a surprise guest, you're still likely to get a version of that.

The other kitchen "aha" for me was learning how to braise. I took the eGCI course The Truth About Braising and participated in all the experiments and discussions that week. By the end of it I had a pretty good grip on braising, from meat cut to temperature to cooking vessel and dealing with the juices. I wowed my family that holiday season, and for many after, with luxury dinners like braised beef ribs with a rich gravy over potatoes, served along with a good choice of vegetables and desserts and fresh bread. My family was especially impressed because I hadn't even known how to make macaroni and cheese from a box when I went away to college! 😀

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@Katie Meadow, great post. Could you please discuss your recipe for creamed spinach?

The recipe is Creamed Spinach, from the NYT Kay Chun. The NYT has more than one recipe, but hers is the one I use. She adds a bit of sour cream at the end. I use creme fraiche, since I don't typically keep sour cream on hand.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1022649-creamed-spinach

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

The recipe is Creamed Spinach, from the NYT Kay Chun. The NYT has more than one recipe, but hers is the one I use. She adds a bit of sour cream at the end. I use creme fraiche, since I don't typically keep sour cream on hand.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1022649-creamed-spinach

I have the base subscription but this is behnd the Cooking paywall. Maybe a brief description? My childhood versionis just with an Einbren - milk based roux with finely minced onion. 

Edited by heidih (log)

I had only ever had creamed spinach in restaurants but one year, I decided that it would be a good side for Christmas dinner. My husband was skeptical that anyone would eat spinach with their turkey dinner (have I mentioned that he is five years old when it comes to vegetables?) I used this recipe from Ina https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/spinach-gratin-recipe-1940406 and it was one of the first dishes to be cleaned out. I cut out stars from red peppers for the top to make it look more "Christmassy."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Two more significant firsts today...well, no doubt no big deal for others... but important firsts for me.  Corn Chowder and Tomato Basil Soups.  The Corn Chowder is good, but the Tomato soup is out of this world.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.