• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Wegmans, The First in Manhattan

weinoo

Taking over a space which previously housed a KMart, it's in the historic Wanamaker Building at Astor Place...

770 Broadway was built between 1903 and 1907 and was designed by Daniel Burnham as an annex to the original Wanamaker's department store in New York, which was across 9th Street to the north.[8] The two buildings were connected by a sky bridge, dubbed the "Bridge of Progress", as well as a tunnel under 9th Street. The building originally included a central court and an auditorium with a pipe organ that hosted top musicians and orchestras, and was also an early television studio

I checked it out yesterday, specifically to see the specialty fish market, described as follows...

Customers who visit the Manhattan store will find an expanded seafood department that includes some of the most unique, freshest, and highest quality seafood in the world. Our Sakanaya (“fish market” in Japanese) offerings boast world-class seafood from top suppliers, including hundreds of species from Japan’s premier fishmonger and retailer, Uoriki (“fish power” in Japanese), housed at the famous Toyosu Fish Market (formerly Tsukiji) in Japan.  

This unprecedented access to Toyosu is only possible because of the longstanding and ever-evolving relationship between Wegmans and Uoriki, which began more than 15 years ago when Uoriki acquired MC Fresh, a wholesale seafood company supplying top Japanese restaurants, renaming it Uoriki Fresh. 

It was mostly impressive (where the Japanese fish guys were working), though in the area where one can purchase the same fish one can purchase most anywhere (Atlantic salmon, swordfish, etc), it was less so.

I was wondering if @KennethT has checked it out yet, as it's closer to his abode than to mine?

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

when Wagman's moved into my area several years ago 

at a very near Mall  , it had a double decker store 

it took over the years ago defunct JCPenny's

it had a food cart escalator , etc

it was relatively expensive , but it had  a coupon book sent to residents 

week by week,   

it had very good meat , vac'd in 4 packs .  if you used your coupon 

and looked over the packs ( there were many // cut  )

you could find a well marbled pack that ended up being good value 

and w the marbling you picked , much better than other local procurement.

not sure how that sort of deal works these days 

or how it compares w your local butcher in NYC.

the double decker store closed early this year.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Taking over a space which previously housed a KMart, it's in the historic Wanamaker Building at Astor Place...

I checked it out yesterday, specifically to see the specialty fish market, described as follows...

It was mostly impressive (where the Japanese fish guys were working), though in the area where one can purchase the same fish one can purchase most anywhere (Atlantic salmon, swordfish, etc), it was less so.

I was wondering if @KennethT has checked it out yet, as it's closer to his abode than to mine?

I checked it out a couple weeks ago.  The fish area was a madhouse as they were breakingdown a whole tuna and giving out samples as well as people taking enough photos to fill a Sears catalog.

I actually did try some of the premade sushi - for the price, it was actually pretty good.  I wasn't very impressed with the produce selection, although they had a few of my staples and their prices were significantly less than anywhere else that I know of.  But since they don't have everything, I probagly will continue to get most of my produce at Hmart so I don't have to go to two stores.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Wegman's is a bright light out in the country.  I'm not sure how unique it will be in NYC, but I

'm happy for you all.

It is of no use to me, really. Unless I am desiring some fish from Japan.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

or how it compares w your local butcher in NYC.

the double decker store closed early this year.

I'll take my local, hipster butcher over Wegmans.  This, too, is a double decker store.

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I checked it out a couple weeks ago.  The fish area was a madhouse as they were breakingdown a whole tuna and giving out samples as well as people taking enough photos to fill a Sears catalog.

I actually did try some of the premade sushi - for the price, it was actually pretty good.  I wasn't very impressed with the produce selection, although they had a few of my staples and their prices were significantly less than anywhere else that I know of.  But since they don't have everything, I probagly will continue to get most of my produce at Hmart so I don't have to go to two stores.

Produce sections rarely impress me; I'll continue to use the farmer's market (though yesterday you could sense the end of everything except root vegetables), Essex Market and Union Market (which carries a lot of the bitter greens I like).

So basically, one and done for me.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

When I mean by one and done is that I'll never go back to the Wegmans. Once was enough, and now I'm done.

I prefer shopping at all the different vendors, and spreading the joy around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog