• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot ( ie iPot ) seeks bankruptcy protection.

rotuts

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

There are many of them.

As far as I can tell, this is almost a perfect copy of the instant pot except that it has 15 settings on it instead of the usual nine or 11, (So far I've only used one, I always set it manually). The safety features are excellent and I use it probably two or three times a week. Twice yesterday.

The main complaint I have against instant pot (and Apple) is their big push to sell accessories and to convince you that only theirs will work in their product. I bought all of mine in a little Chinese restaurant supply and they work just fine.

When I see a product this good at half the price of the original, I can't help but feel I'm being ripped off if I buy the real thing.

• Like 1

I use my 2 IP's a lot, I mean almost daily.  Some of the membrane buttons are showing wear.   It's so convenient to press "play" and go about my day.   I hope the IP brand can survive.  

Before IP, I used a Fagor Classic pressure cooker that could be used to distill water and deep fry under pressure.  It's a dystopian beast.    That thing frightens people, even though it has massive safeties built in.  I am the only one in the household that would/could use it.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, rotuts said:

so , how many iPot ' spares ' 

do you have , or are willing to admit to ?

Amazon  insisted I get the newer version

remember back when , 

I have two; my original six-quart and a newer three-quart. The three quart lives on the counter and gets used more, but I haul out the big one for big-batch soups, stews, etc., and holidays.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I wonder if production quality changed 

this the newer business model

on the classic style moles 

which did advance before hand  

newer controls , vents etc.

@gfweb 

God , god , 

or the Higgs boson 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

weeps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CugLD9HF94

wait for it :   about half way though 

Its Higgs , himself .

his tears are not for @gfweb

but , 

@gfweb 

no pressures steamed

Bliss  ( for potato salads ) refrigerates for later of course 

no Russet ;s , again , pressure streamed , w skin  for the best

masked potatoes  ever 

and of course 

right out of the refrigerator 

pressure steamed eggs ?

a la @Shelby  's iPot Lo pressure timings ?

well  

( ed.:  Ive forgotten @Shelby 's timings )

good news though

something to work with.

• Like 1

I've found the best thing about my Instant Pot is that it fits in the same pantry where my (gifted) Fagor once sat.  And it get used about as much as @gfweb's.

With all the machinations I have to go through to take it out, set it up, use it, clean it, and then put it back where it belongs, most of the things I cook are done within that same time frame.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I completely agree w

@weinoo 

as he mentions his personal cooking style

''   take it out, set it up, use it, clean i/'

'' most of the things I cook are done within that same time frame. '

indeed , and quite tasty , so far , as I can see , and I look forward to

continued further analysis  

the iPot , SV systems , pellet grill

excel for perfectly cooked stuff , 

w so little attention 

for serious use later .

Edited by rotuts (log)

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

God , god , 

or the Higgs boson 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

weeps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CugLD9HF94

wait for it :   about half way though 

Its Higgs , himself .

his tears are not for @gfweb

but , 

@gfweb 

no pressures steamed

Bliss  ( for potato salads ) refrigerates for later of course 

no Russet ;s , again , pressure streamed , w skin  for the best

masked potatoes  ever 

and of course 

right out of the refrigerator 

pressure steamed eggs ?

a la @Shelby  's iPot Lo pressure timings ?

well  

( ed.:  Ive forgotten @Shelby 's timings )

good news though

something to work with.

Between Steam Boy, a pot of water and Zoj the iPot is unused

• Sad 1

for me

it comes down to the ease

of making certain things , well ahead 

and close to perfectly done 

that I can then use later .

eggs , pressure steamed , potatoes , for a salad later

again , steamed .

however , the finest mashed potatoes ive ever done

are pressure steamed , then added back to the pot

after the hot water is discarded 

and then mixed in that pot. , in the usual finishing fashion 

after that.   haven't made those in a while 

as with all things , doesn't do every thing well

just a few things

Like the having those  items , 

to work with , on purpose

later.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

A quote from the article.  Clearly, Mr. Cohen did not speak to any eGulleters.  @Shelby, and @rotuts, among many others, I guess he wasn't in touch with either of you?

“Customers don’t buy multiples,” said Mark Cohen, director of retail studies at Columbia Business School."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

A quote from the article.  Clearly, Mr. Cohen did not speak to any eGulleters.  @Shelby, and @rotuts, among many others, I guess he wasn't in touch with either of you?

“Customers don’t buy multiples,” said Mark Cohen, director of retail studies at Columbia Business School."

True.  A lot of people have more than one--I have had all three going at once several times.    Mr. Cohen needs to visit with me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Kinda why I never believed my teachers.

• Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 6/15/2023 at 9:26 AM, Johntodd said:

There are plenty of other electric pressure cookers out there that work just fine.

That's true, however, I had an Oster that worked just fine. It wasn't as sophisticated as an instant pot and apparently it's safety features weren't quite as good because it blew up and missed decapitating me by about 6 in. I have no fear of the instant pot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Instant Pot Failed Because It Was a Good Product

Interesting explanation from Atlantic magazine -- nothing that hasn't been said already, but a good recap: "A device developed primarily to address a particular food-prep inefficiency has a natural ceiling to its potential market, and when one catches on as quickly and widely as the Instant Pot, it can meet that market ceiling in pretty short order. . . . From the point of view of the consumer, this makes the Instant Pot a dream product: It does what it says, and it doesn’t cost you much or any additional money after that first purchase. It doesn’t appear to have any planned obsolescence built into it, which would prompt you to replace it at a regular clip. But from the point of view of owners and investors trying to maximize value, that makes the Instant Pot a problem."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAZ said:

The Instant Pot Failed Because It Was a Good Product

Interesting explanation from Atlantic magazine -- nothing that hasn't been said already, but a good recap: "A device developed primarily to address a particular food-prep inefficiency has a natural ceiling to its potential market, and when one catches on as quickly and widely as the Instant Pot, it can meet that market ceiling in pretty short order. . . . From the point of view of the consumer, this makes the Instant Pot a dream product: It does what it says, and it doesn’t cost you much or any additional money after that first purchase. It doesn’t appear to have any planned obsolescence built into it, which would prompt you to replace it at a regular clip. But from the point of view of owners and investors trying to maximize value, that makes the Instant Pot a problem."

If you knew that, and I knew that, and the Atlantic knew that...one of us should have told corning.

Unless perhaps they knew it and wanted the Instant Pot name for whatever reason

• Haha 1