• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mac and Cheese: Defining and Pushing its Boundaries

shain

On 5/4/2023 at 12:51 PM, gfweb said:

Kenji Lopez has several M&C recipes.  One uses condensed milk, comes together quickly and stays creamy/smooth.  When M&C is requested, its the one I make

I’ll loo k to that. I want a creamy, easy to make Mac and cheese without having to make a roux, and without buying 6 different kinds of cheeses.

I also don’t grow up eating it so my taste for it finds Kraft acceptable for what it is (aka something you’d happily eat after midnight). 

Any other recommendations?

6 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I’ll loo k to that. I want a creamy, easy to make Mac and cheese without having to make a roux, and without buying 6 different kinds of cheeses.

I've tried the multiple cheeses thing - the results are not impressive . . .

two is my limit, 100% cheddar is my usual.

Colby was once a fav, but the store brand changed (?somehow?) and the new stuff did not melt well -

picking the 'right' cheese can be trial&error . . .

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 3:39 AM, Duvel said:

On 5/6/2023 at 6:35 AM, haresfur said:

I'm not super fond of the texture of this but it is a cool way to work with different cheeses. Still make it occasionally. 

I can see how that recipe works really well, but I'm always of the feeling that mac and cheese is a baked dish.  You know, for the crusty parts.

• Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

24 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I can see how that recipe works really well, but I'm always of the feeling that mac and cheese is a baked dish.  You know, for the crusty parts.

Then the blowtorch is your best friend with this …

• Like 1

I completely agree on the ' crunchy '

baking give you crunchy 

in a sort of continuum , and it does not require your immediate attention

as it evolves .  extra time for Personal Beverages 

the blowtorch also works well .

but at the blowtorch ' time '   :  Im ready to eat 

thus patience has lost out to hunger .

and then there is burnt .

I know that its just me that has had these experiences .

SV  touch ups are a different matter .

Im a bit more patient then.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, weinoo said:

Stovetop Mac and Cheese is popular, too. I was never much of a fan until my partner started making some that is pretty nice. Different texture but not as weird as modernist imo

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I suppose one could call pasta cacio e pepe "stovetop mac and cheese" to fulfill the need for a stovetop version.  I think traditionally, it was a baked dish.

An interesting article:  Who Invented Mac and Cheese? This American Favorite Has Ancient Roman Roots

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 5/3/2023 at 10:48 AM, BeeZee said:

For me, "mac and cheese" conjures the image of macaroni (or a short pasta) with a (primarily, but not exclusively) cheddar-based sauce. I'd bet that those who are from Southern states in the U.S., where mac and cheese are staples, will agree that certain expectations come with using that name for a dish, rather than "pasta with a cheese sauce", which leaves open the many creative possibilities which are also delicious (cacio e pepe, Alfredo, Lockshen mit Kaese, and others).

I understand exactly what you meant, @BeeZee.  I think you are talking about expectations (as a matter of fact, that's the word that you used) and not hard and fast rules. I don't think you needed to be chastised and told what eG is supposed to be about.  I think that your point brings up an interesting conversation and this topic even mentions "defining" in the title.  

And I think that gochujang makes perfect sense.  I don't think I've ever made a cheese sauce without adding a little Frank's hot sauce - so much rich gooeyness needs something to punch it up a little and gochujang would, of course, do the same thing in spades!  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 4

On 5/6/2023 at 12:47 AM, MetsFan5 said:

I also don’t grow up eating it so my taste for it finds Kraft acceptable for what it is (aka something you’d happily eat after midnight). 

Any other recommendations?

I'm with @kayb.  Easy for me.  Boil the elbow macaroni or whatever shape you want in salted water.  Drain.  Dump back into the pot you boiled in.  Stir in cubes of Velveeta OR Cheez Whiz in the jar.  Bit of black pepper.  Keep warm and stir a bit.  Done.  I often add my canned tomatoes.  Sometimes peppers if I want spicy.  I've used leftover Velveeta cheese dip too.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, weinoo said:

@Kim Shook In addition to the "cheddar-based sauce," wasn't macaroni and cheese traditionally a baked dish in the south?

It is here in KS....for potlucks, family reunions (shudder) and such.  

• Haha 6

23 minutes ago, weinoo said:

@Kim Shook In addition to the "cheddar-based sauce," wasn't macaroni and cheese traditionally a baked dish in the south?

Also New England.   Family m and c was cooked elbows, in buttered casserole, chunks of cheddar, covered with rich milk.   Baked until all milk absorbed and top is browned in splotches.     NEVER bechamel based.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I'm with @kayb.  Easy for me.  Boil the elbow macaroni or whatever shape you want in salted water.  Drain.  Dump back into the pot you boiled in.  Stir in cubes of Velveeta OR Cheez Whiz in the jar.  Bit of black pepper.  Keep warm and stir a bit.  Done.  I often add my canned tomatoes.  Sometimes peppers if I want spicy.  I've used leftover Velveeta cheese dip too.

Velveeta is the perfect cheese for this style.

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Modernist Cuisine At Home has a "Fat-Free" [nearly] Mac and Cheese that is worth making once anyway. I say that because it uses an insane amount of cheese (550 g) to cook 180 g dry macaroni.

Basically you sous vide the cheese with 500 ml water at 80 C for 30 min which extracts the cheese flavour into the water and then cook the macaroni in the water.

They add sugar, salt, and cauliflower puree, too.

I wonder if there are other water soluble flavours that could be extracted this way, too? Smoked salmon? Olive oil?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 5/8/2023 at 7:57 PM, weinoo said:

Velveeta is the perfect cheese for this style.

slightly off topic…Velveeta is necessary for two things I make: Mac and cheese, and pimiento cheese. In both instances, combined with an extra sharp cheddar to amp up the taste.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com