• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

While I might need a food stylist...

IMG_11812.thumb.jpeg.72bfef32af6fabcd956ba6089cd75fad.jpeg

and while this sheet pan is going back into the oven for another 20 minutes (after which I failed to take a picture, as I was much more intent on trying a wing), this Snowdance Farms heritage chicken was one of the best I've cooked at home.  That includes Joyce Farms, as well as a fresh-killed sasso from LaPera Brothers Poultry, in Brooklyn.

Great, crisp skin, juicy and flavorful breast.  Oh, smushing an herb-infused duck fat/butter combo under the skin doesn't hurt either.  It's a top 3.  The back, wing tips, drumstick ends, neck and gizzard were all used to make a little stock...nothing wasted!

Earlier this week (and late last):

IMG_1149.thumb.jpeg.9bc905fa5ec89e638db1873b27040b9c.jpeg

At Cervo's, dining solo:  fried rock shrimp, over marinated potatoes, with some horseradish grated on top.  Very good.  Also had rice with razor clams.

And at Cafe Katja, not dining solo:

IMG_11602.thumb.jpeg.d439f3dd50a66cea8627ec9c2d13279c.jpeg

Smoked pork sholder, sauerkraut, spätzle.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

34 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

why do you prefer spatchcocking through the breast rather than 

cutting out the back.   roasting the back at the same time of course , 

and saving for stock.   cutting out tieback w poultry shears seems easier .

I did cut out the back, @rotuts, and then pressed down on the keel to open up the chicken. Used the back and other bits and pieces and made a small amount of stock.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Put a small chunk of porl loin in the microwave to thaw as I forgot to pull it out previous night. First 10 min didn't do it, so I did another 10, except I hit cook instead of defrost!!!

The meat was cooked. It was still moist and tender. Gravy warmed it up gently, and apple sauce makes every bite better;-)

PorkLoin3028.jpg.67a93bf3e576b2fc0b821ea04a56f73d.jpg

Splurged on 2 bison rib eye steaks. Pan fried, and eaten with mix veg and Cavendish fries. The steaks were tender, but it won't be something I'll splurge on again. Not worth the $31.00 I paid.

BisonRibEye3037.jpg.28c694de51efe0a0d0ffa2beb676f02e.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Last night we had Asian meat sauce over rice.  In spite of the brown/green 1950’s color scheme, the lamb sauce with extra Gochjang and Sichuan pepper, made your mouth sing.

Dessert cooled things off with a lemon cheese tart topped with pomegranate arils.

IMG_5207.jpeg

IMG_5202.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

9 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Lunch?

Tropical, I just noticed you are in Costa Rica. Speaking of lunch, Rodrigo Carazo Odio, former president of Costa Rica, had served me lunches many times.

Many years ago, I traveled to Costa Rica on vacation, just before Christmas. Stayed in Hotel (Casa Blanca? not sure about the name), The manager was doing waiter's duties because he let many staff off for holidays. Then I found out he was indeed the former president of the country. He was part owner of the hotel at that time. Very humble guy. At the end of my vacation, I had difficulty getting transportation to the airport because of the holidays. He drove me to the airport. 

We maintained email connection until he passed away.

dcarch

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, dcarch said:

he was indeed the former president

Indeed he was. His term was 10 years before I moved here but he was still talked about. He was quite controversial. Wanted to restore the Army to Costa Rica. Was it by Chance the Grand Hotel in the middle of San Jose, right next to the National Theater? That would have been the most popular tourist hotel at the time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Fried rice for me is made with leftover rice, I am not sure what I can make with leftover fried rice made with leftover rice. 

dcarch 🤫😆

Actually my wife requested the shrimp fried rice so I made rice fresh for that. I did make it earlier in the day so it could cool, so maybe that makes it technically leftover?  😉

• Haha 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Like most restaurants here, I usually make rice specifically to fry later (usually the next day). Most restaurants doing fried rice only do fried rice, so have no 'leftover' rice. I seldom have 'leftover rice'.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 12/13/2023 at 3:57 PM, liuzhou said:

Yes. They are available online here (somewhat expensively). Their origin is "interesting". Some vendors describe them as Swedish made in Germany; others as Dutch made in Italy.

One describes them as "Spot Dutch import Italian German import WASA Vassa crackers Original multi-fiber sesame recommended" then says the factory is in the USA!

I'll call them UN Crackers.

UN Crackers -- appropriate for that description! 

On 12/13/2023 at 10:39 AM, Duvel said:

so after two days of his beloved chicken soup

And then he gets "something else" -- a feast for (anybody) recovering from an illness. What a lucky little boy!

Also, I'm impressed that he will eat those mushrooms in the soup. (You've trained him well! )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

兰州牛肉面 (lán zhōu niú ròu miàn), Lanzhou Beef Noodles from the local Lanzhou restaurant.

lanzhoulamian.thumb.jpg.c2bc6f8e81e22677ffd309654408ce03.jpg

Lanzhou is the capital of China’s Gansu province is west-central China. The city has a high concentration of Muslims (the Hui) is famous for its hand-pulled noodles, 兰州拉面 (lán zhōu lā miàn) and for its beef noodles.

_20231215193821.thumb.jpg.00c5adcf75d0007b5561dd54b6dae784.jpg

In fact, the meat here is from 牦牛 (máo niú) which is yak meat and not 牛肉 (niú ròu), beef.

Sensibly, the restaurant delivered the beef, noodles etc separately from the broth, leaving me to mix them. Shipping them pre-mixed leads to overcooked noodles.

I also bought a couple of 百吉饼 (bǎi jí bǐng), my preferred bread for rou jia mo, maybe tomorrow.

_20231215193810.thumb.jpg.cf1ccb34772d91fc0c9c9ff8a178ac58.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Indeed he was. His term was 10 years before I moved here but he was still talked about. He was quite controversial. Wanted to restore the Army to Costa Rica. Was it by Chance the Grand Hotel in the middle of San Jose, right next to the National Theater? That would have been the most popular tourist hotel at the time.

"-------------Originally owned by Rodrigo Carazo Odio, former president of Costa Rica, Villa Blanca is a respected rural hotel located within the Los Angeles Private Cloud Forest Reserve in the central region of Costa Rica. -----------------"

Back to food, the hotel was actually in the cloud forest, 85% of the time was in the clouds. Food was not the best (at that time) Beans, beans, beans for lunch, and more beans for dinner. However I was not disappointed, because it was an ecological vacation. But coffee was out of this world. They always serve coffee with hot milk. I did hope for some tropical fruits, but no. No local fruits around that time of the year. They had plenty of fancy imported US apples, which I had no interest in. I was from the "Big Apple" state, NY.😆

Villa Blanca's food has improved to first-class today.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When you’ve got a hammer, everything looks like a nail” 

Or more precisely: when you’ve got a new toy, you want to play. I recently aquired an air fryer, and today was the day to apply it to one of my favourite food challenges: Gyros. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy with what I can do, but there is always this feeling it could be easier, it could be better.

So: pork collar, thinly sliced into 1/4 inch slices and marinated in the Duvel Gyros marinade … and then reassembled, vacuumed for 24h and cooked SV for 4h@58oC. It yielded a brick looking like this …

IMG_1661.thumb.jpeg.516720582fc38f12b8fb8f9775819c97.jpeg

Put into the Ninja air fryer at highest (“air crisp” setting) for a few minutes, roasted sides sliced off, back into the Ninja for a few minutes, sides sliced off and once more back into the Ninja - you get the idea. It yielded quite decent Gyros. Full of roasted flavor, yet tender and juicy meat ...

IMG_1664.thumb.jpeg.73cd415f55d3741361108f40ae14e847.jpeg

It served as a base for a Greek dinner …

IMG_1663.thumb.jpeg.7aaed499b92603df1d3996d3172b2719.jpeg

With freshly made pita …

IMG_1665.thumb.jpeg.8072868a26e2e4be925ad39ddd16da3d.jpeg

Greek salad …

IMG_1668.thumb.jpeg.73793516ac709e1afd3986736c76429c.jpeg

And some lamb filets for 1/3 of the family which is not genetically primed to enjoy pork products …

IMG_1666.thumb.jpeg.7b8f88633a13bb81e2f4c4243b6f4bcc.jpeg

Croquettes for the same part of the family, but ultimately enjoyed by all. My Ninja has two cooking zones 🤭

IMG_1667.thumb.jpeg.93b0cfce83d3e6f71114b38603a21b51.jpeg

Yum !

IMG_1670.thumb.jpeg.343d1e8737550b8c521e297ebfbc2c01.jpeg

Was it good ? Oh yes … 

It it less work than making a skewer and running it through the rotisserie ? Yes, but by a margin …

So - no complaints 🤗

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 11

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

When you’ve got a hammer, everything looks like a nail” 

Or more precisely: when you’ve got a new toy, you want to play. I recently aquired an air fryer, and today was the day to apply it to one of my favourite food challenges: Gyros. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy with what I can do, but there is always this feeling it could be easier, it could be better.

So: pork collar, thinly sliced into 1/4 inch slices and marinated in the Duvel Gyros marinade … and then reassembled, vacuumed for 24h and cooked SV for 4h@58oC. It yielded a brick looking like this …

IMG_1661.thumb.jpeg.516720582fc38f12b8fb8f9775819c97.jpeg

Put into the Ninja air fryer at highest (“air crisp” setting) for a few minutes, roasted sides sliced off, back into the Ninja for a few minutes, sides sliced off and once more back into the Ninja - you get the idea. It yielded quite decent Gyros. Full of roasted flavor, yet tender and juicy meat ...

IMG_1664.thumb.jpeg.73cd415f55d3741361108f40ae14e847.jpeg

It served as a base for a Greek dinner …

IMG_1663.thumb.jpeg.7aaed499b92603df1d3996d3172b2719.jpeg

With freshly made pita …

IMG_1665.thumb.jpeg.8072868a26e2e4be925ad39ddd16da3d.jpeg

Greek salad …

IMG_1668.thumb.jpeg.73793516ac709e1afd3986736c76429c.jpeg

And some lamb filets for 1/3 of the family which is not genetically primed to enjoy pork products …

IMG_1666.thumb.jpeg.7b8f88633a13bb81e2f4c4243b6f4bcc.jpeg

Croquettes for the same part of the family, but ultimately enjoyed by all. My Ninja has two cooking zones 🤭

IMG_1667.thumb.jpeg.93b0cfce83d3e6f71114b38603a21b51.jpeg

Yum !

IMG_1670.thumb.jpeg.343d1e8737550b8c521e297ebfbc2c01.jpeg

Was it good ? Oh yes … 

It it less work than making a skewer and running it through the rotisserie ? Yes, but by a margin …

So - no complaints 🤗

I'm sure "it could be easier!" Could it be better? I'll never know, but that looks pretty damn tasty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1