• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

Germany meets Spain/Greece/Italy. Winter "tapas"/"Brotzeit.
CdqnJjo.jpg

Artichokes, preserved tomatoes, silverskin pickled onions.
7kOxZm9.jpg

Cream with 2 types of roe. (To be mixed well when ready to spread on bread)
YkSaswx.jpg

Burrata and assorted German Mett/Blood sausages.
ebpGrOZ.jpg

Last week's bread was very chewing intensive but this one takes the biscuit. A very small but heavy loaf with whole wheat grains in it, and they are hard.
0sUDnNi.jpg

Sardines and mackerel filets (brought back from Spain).
1koSz4E.jpg

--------------------
Just cooked this small squash. Sweet flesh, bright orange, but fibrous. The pits are nice. Plump and nutty.
bGGnkdy.jpg

----------------------
Grated "mountain yam" (yamaimo in Japan). Hard to photograph white without contrast or texture.
Bam9Ef9.jpg

Udon with grated yam and roe
zLVu7wJ.jpg

King trumpet mushroom "scallops" in duck yolk sauce.
IuDNrg0.jpg

Soft tofu in dashi. (North Sea shrimp on top)
u6YJxMt.jpg

Small portions, like how I enjoyed eating them in Japan.
IghSC2c.jpg

@Kim Shook, doesn't some of your food go missing sometimes? It only takes that 1 second you turn your back...

PkkmDmv.jpg

QULunh7.jpg

Or even when your back is not turned...

hpypWzB.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Kerala said:

Details please. I hope it's really simple!

Hmmmm...  simple is relative, no? ;)  It's not a difficult dish to make, but there's certainly no shortage of ingredients.  Mine is modeled after the fish head curry we had in Singapore in a well known South Indian restaurant.  See the post here.

One day when I get some time I'll upload my recipe to RecipEgullet but in the meantime, heat some coconut oil (I cut it with rice bran oil to make it healthier) and roast some fenugreek, mustard, cumin and fennel seeds.  Once popping, sweat like a whole red onion chopped fine, then add several tablespoons ginger/garlic paste and a couple sprigs of curry leaves and sweat some more.  Then add the powdered spices (a big teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder, a half teaspoon hot chilli powder, a teaspoon each coriander powder and fennel powder, and maybe 3/4 teaspoon turmeric).  Stir until the oil separates back out, then add about 3 plum tomatoes either chopped really fine or blended, about 1 big tablespoon tamarind paste (25g tamarind with 50ml hot water, then strained), and some water.  Season with salt.  At this point, you'd add any vegetables (I just had potatoes) and then I used mahi mahi at the very end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Went out for lunch here in Ajijic.  Meal was fine, nothing special.  But this new little eatery brings you these to the table with your check.  And fyi, ALL marshmallows in Mexico are pink.  No one knows why. 

malva1.jpg

malva2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It's considered taboo now because vegans can't eat it.

Nor vegetarians.

It's also much more expensive than beetroot.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

17 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It's considered taboo now because vegans can't eat it.

And when were marshmallows vegan?  Peeps, for example, are made from pork.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And when were marshmallows vegan?

From their invention. Marshmallows take their name from the plant (Althaea officinalis) of the same name which was used as the gelling agent used in their production. This was replaced with gelatine (making them non-vegetarian) in the USA, the marshmallow plant being native to Europe and Asia. However, today they are usually made using gum arabic instead.

Peeps still use gelatine.

Despite my tragic attempt at ordering Korean food the other day, I tried again – a different dish and different restaurant.

韩式牛舌拌饭 (hán shì niú shé bàn fàn), Korean style beef tongue bibimbap, 쇠고기 비빔밥 (sogogi bibimbap).

豆芽鱼饼汤 (dòu yá yú bǐng tāng) bean sprout and fish cake soup, 콩나물 어묵 수프 (kong nam ueomuk soup – yes the Korean for soup is ‘soup’!)

I’m not sure how ‘authentic’ it may be, but it was tasty.

Took a picture but my cell phone (or I) malfunctioned, so here’s the app listing image.

_20231221051025.thumb.jpg.deb484009ef6c7ba0f00964933c67cb9.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

Mini penne with scallop pieces, garlic, parsley, butter, a shot of cream, but the kicker was a splash of comoz vermouth de Champery to finish. Veltliner pairing.

IMG_20231219_135437100~2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

31 minutes ago, Duvel said:

@johnnyd: Love the choice of wine glass 🤗

From the "day drinking" shelf...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

On 12/18/2023 at 1:46 PM, gulfporter said:

ALL marshmallows in Mexico are pink.  No one knows why. 

My gardener José said malvaviscos are 'rosa' because they are made by the De La Rosa company.  I looked today at a market and that was only brand I found.  I often overlook the obvious.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, liuzhou said:

From their invention. Marshmallows take their name from the plant (Althaea officinalis) of the same name which was used as the gelling agent used in their production. This was replaced with gelatine (making them non-vegetarian) in the USA, the marshmallow plant being native to Europe and Asia. However, today they are usually made using gum arabic instead.

Peeps still use gelatine.

https://dulcesdelarosa.com.mx/en/home/

De la Rosa manufactures their Mexican marshmallows from gelatin.  The pink color is Red 40, otherwise known as E129 -- banned in Denmark, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Sweden.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Leftover lamb stew - $4.99/lb!! I had to break down a semi-boneless leg to get that price but no big deal - and a small rack of head-on shrimp from Ecuador. Raia pinot from Oregon pairing

IMG_20231221_140631511~2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 5

Portland Food Map.com

@BonVivant – love the pictures of your thieving roommates!  Jessica’s boys are funny.  One isn’t at all interested in people food and the other uses woebegone gazes and what he thinks are gentle pats to beseech you.  Because he has claws that he doesn’t always bother to retract, the pats are not as gentle as he believes. 

@gulfporter – I would love to end every meal with toasted marshmallows! 

Running errands last Saturday Mr. Kim and I stopped somewhere we haven’t been for years - Capital Ale House.  It’s a VA restaurant chain – so not a huge chain.  Pretzel w/ cheese sauce and mustard:

IMG_5111.JPG.a62a824d85c066e45f6f61ff6b393e3e.JPG

The mustard was excellent! 

Mr. Kim’s bacon, black & bleu burger:

IMG_5112.JPG.46085c757d1f9bc67faa47383e6a0be5.JPG

My French dip
IMG_5113.JPG.ddb29c655a852b2010e607847576ed95.JPG

Everything was fine.  Just that – exactly why we haven’t been for years and probably won’t again for years.  We went out without preparing and did that “where do you want to eat?",  “I don’t know.  Where do you want to eat?” thing.  We ended up somewhere close by, but ordinary. 

On Tuesday, Jessica and I drove to Staunton to pick up some of @Jim D.'s fantastic chocolates.  We had lunch at our usual Staunton place, Wright’s Dairy Rite.  I had shrimp, slaw, fries, and their fabulous onion rings:

IMG_5152.JPG.0d5febd765340414c208e904ffd8c76f.JPG

It was all good, but those onion rings are the best I’ve had in years:

IMG_5154.thumb.JPG.f9567662202ad106d109a1873f4348ae.JPG

Jessica had the small cheeseburger and a chili dog:

IMG_5153.thumb.JPG.977c8a4d8ea3378ddb66eba4ef81982d.JPG

The chocolates:

IMG_5161.jpg.4db12acf19f240bbf9ef392a3d951c66.jpg

❤️

• Like 8
  • Delicious 5