• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Me too. I love it for breakfast, but I like it toasted and buttered. So that's my treat if I make cornbread the night before as part of dinner. Can you get Bob's Red Mill? The medium grind makes excellent cornbread. Also there are numerous artisan products on line from places that sell grits, such as Marsh Hen Mill (aka Geechie Boy) with a selection of various grinds. Now I'm thinking I'll make some this evening!  

I usually can get a number of different brands, but for some reason they have been missing in the grocery stores.   Bob's Red Mill is available but I don't care for most of Bob's Red Mill products. 

@Captain – that’s a beautifully rolled wrap and looks delicious. Mine are always so clumsy.

@Mike.12lu– that big breakfast is my favorite, too.  I don’t usually have time in the mornings to do it, but we sometimes have that for dinner.  I wouldn’t turn down one of those French croissants, though.  One of my very favorite things!

This morning:

IMG_4270.jpg.82de7d1dd75eed657d0e056fb6a2714b.jpg

Rye toast, Fiorucci hard salami, and black grapes.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Captain – that’s a beautifully rolled wrap and looks delicious. Mine are always so clumsy.

@Mike.12lu– that big breakfast is my favorite, too.  I don’t usually have time in the mornings to do it, but we sometimes have that for dinner.  I wouldn’t turn down one of those French croissants, though.  One of my very favorite things!

This morning:

IMG_4270.jpg.82de7d1dd75eed657d0e056fb6a2714b.jpg

Rye toast, Fiorucci hard salami, and black grapes.

yaaa looks yummy. 

• Thanks 1

Breakfast wrap of eggs, zucchini, green onion, pepper jack and herbed and blood sausage. The amounts of sausage used, appr. 20 gm. of blood and 40 gm. of herbed, resulted in the sausage acting more as flavouring. Worked out well.

Served with a tomato and an orange.

DSCN1134.thumb.JPG.80a79bbbb50dc04e932e15b187d74f57.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I didn't know where to post this.  Beverages does not have a section for orange juice and it  didn't fit anywhere else, so I chose cooking- breakfast.  I guess it doesn't take much to make me happy and today I am happy.  I love love Valencia orange juice. I used to make it several times in season but for the last  six or so years they have been crazy expensive.  Today at the Hen House (local grocery chain that has been around since the 1940's) had a bag of 9 for a little over $5.00. Nothing tastes as good or makes as much juice as they do, IMHO.  Last week Charlie cleaned up the basement and brought up a juicer that I got when a local coffee shop that lost it's lease and was selling everything. He said it looked too cool to keep setting down there.   It doesn't work as well as the antique electric Sunkist one though.   The carafe is a quart size and was filled up with less that two bags of oranges. 

IMG_1158.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

13 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I love love Valencia orange juice.

It's the best!  I have a tree that's been struggling for the last few years of drought.  It's got a lot of little fruits at the moment and I've got my fingers crossed that they'll grow big and juicy!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I didn't know where to post this.  Beverages does not have a section for orange juice and it  didn't fit anywhere else, so I chose cooking- breakfast.  I guess it doesn't take much to make me happy and today I am happy.  I love love Valencia orange juice. I used to make it several times in season but for the last  six or so years they have been crazy expensive.  Today at the Hen House (local grocery chain that has been around since the 1940's) had a bag of 9 for a little over $5.00. Nothing tastes as good or makes as much juice as they do, IMHO.  Last week Charlie cleaned up the basement and brought up a juicer that I got when a local coffee shop that lost it's lease and was selling everything. He said it looked too cool to keep setting down there.   It doesn't work as well as the antique electric Sunkist one though.   The carafe is a quart size and was filled up with less that two bags of oranges. 

IMG_1158.jpg

Lovely juicer.  Perhaps also share it in the Commercial grade manual citrus presses topic.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/149279-commercial-grade-manual-citrus-presses/

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

17 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

He said it looked too cool to keep setting down there

When we first moved to Costa Rica, every little town and every Central Market had a guy parked on the street with a pickup load of oranges, a canopy on his truck, and one of these bolted to his tailgate. He sold it by the glass, by the bottle or by The Jug. It was always refreshing on a hot day to be able to buy some fresh orange juice. I just realized that you don't see them anymore. Another victim of progress.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Lovely juicer.  Perhaps also share it in the Commercial grade manual citrus presses topic.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/149279-commercial-grade-manual-citrus-presses/

i didn't know until just now that there even was such a topic.  Thanks.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

When we first moved to Costa Rica, every little town and every Central Market had a guy parked on the street with a pickup load of oranges, a canopy on his truck, and one of these bolted to his tailgate. He sold it by the glass, by the bottle or by The Jug. It was always refreshing on a hot day to be able to buy some fresh orange juice. I just realized that you don't see them anymore. Another victim of progress.

The first 4 oranges I squeezed with that one and it filled the catcher 3/4 full.  The second 4 from the Sunkist filled it completely.  I remember when I was a teen I stopped at a drug store soda fountain for breakfast at the Country Club Plaza in KCMo. and they had one too.  It was the first time I ever had fresh squeezed juice and still remember it now 60 years later.

• Like 6

鲜肉大馄饨 (xiān ròu dà hún tun), large pork wontons (in broth). The menu on my app offered a choice of adding chilli oil (or not), the same with scallions and four different wonton fillings: pork, pork and shepherd's purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris), pork and shiitake, or pork and some atrocity consisting of yellow kernels of misery. I chose chilli oil, scallions  and shepherd's purse.

hundun.thumb.jpg.6342814e2f3bf0142d1d2660072a2842.jpg

Apologies for the dreadful image, but I had a bad night, it was early and I was starving. Same excuse for eating them straight from the delivery container rather than putting them in a nicer bowl.

P.S. In 95% of China wontons are known as 馄饨 (hún tún) or, less often, 云吞 (yún tūn) with the letter u pronounced 'oo' in both names - hoon toon and yoon toon. Wonton is from the Cantonese, only spoken by about 5% of people in China, mainly in Guangdong province and neighbouring Hong Kong.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 9/7/2023 at 1:52 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Thai-style omelet with ground pork and shallots over rice with Sichuan-style blistered green beans from The Wok

314336CD-75DA-4232-9729-CF966D29E036_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f90e078e31f3f83cbb5ab105112090e6.jpeg

That looks deep fried. Please explain!

50 minutes ago, gfweb said:

That looks deep fried. Please explain!

Pretty much. You whisk a couple of eggs with any add-ins, heat ~ a cup of oil to about 400°F in a wok, pour in the eggs, cook 20-30 sec, flip, cook another 20-30 sec.  Result is crispy on the outside, soft and tender inside. Not something I plan to repeat with any regularity but I was curious to try it. 
You can see Kenji making it in this video. The egg business starts around the 4 minute mark. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
Comma (log)
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

鲜肉大馄饨 (xiān ròu dà hún tun), large pork wontons (in broth). The menu on my app offered a choice of adding chilli oil (or not), the same with scallions and four different wonton fillings: pork, pork and shepherd's purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris), pork and shiitake, or pork and some atrocity consisting of yellow kernels of misery. I chose chilli oil, scallions  and shepherd's purse.

hundun.thumb.jpg.6342814e2f3bf0142d1d2660072a2842.jpg

Apologies for the dreadful image, but I had a bad night, it was early and I was starving. Same excuse for eating them straight from the delivery container rather than putting them in a nicer bowl.

P.S. In 95% of China wontons are known as 馄饨 (hún tún) or, less often, 云饨 (yún tún) with the letter u pronounced 'oo' in both names - hoon toon and yoon toon. Wonton is from the Cantonese, only spoken by about 5% of people in China, mainly in Guangdong province and neighbouring Hong Kong.

Fun to know about the wonton pronunciation variations. At first I missed that "won" had changed to "hún"!

I'm curious about how Cantonese say "hún tún" -- is it like "Juan tawn"? That's more or less my pronunciation, which I think is pretty common.

I had to look up shepherd's purse. The name rang a faint bell, probably from something I've read, but I've never seen it. According to Wikipedia, it's the second-most prolific wild plant in the world. Used in cooking, cosmetics, animal feed, and traditional medicines. Also, "Shepherd's purse was used as a pepper substitute in colonial New England." I will be on the lookout for Shepherd's purse!

p.s. I agree with you about the 4th choice of filling -- gross!

43 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

I'm curious about how Cantonese say "hún tún" -- is it like "Juan tawn"?

In Cantonese, it is usually transliterated as wan4 tan1, the numbers referring to tones. I'll try to get a Cantonese friend (from Canton (Guangzhou) to record herself saying it, but, in my present state of immobility, it may take a bit of time. There are samples on the internet, but Cantonese has various accents, too, so they vary.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

@Suzie Q By coincidence, my Cantonese friend called me and so, I asked her to record herself saying wontons in her language.

Here it is.

The link expires in 30 days but if you or anyone else still wants it after that, just ask.

If the download is too slow  you can PM me with an email address and I can send it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

I had a couple of leftover Yorkshire Puddings from last night so I made Moe one of his favourite breakfasts.
YorkshirePuddingwithroastbeefandscrambledeggsSeptember10th2023.thumb.jpg.63313dd46215e7d07830646141da21cf.jpg

Roast beef and gravy with scrambled eggs.

I made a big pot of chili Friday morning and froze most of it in two person servings.
ChiliandToastSeptember9th2023.thumb.jpg.91b1d824bd54ea1542b62e1cf3728273.jpg
There was enough for a small bowl leftover so Moe had it with toast for breakfast yesterday.
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 3

On 9/9/2023 at 8:08 AM, liuzhou said:

@Suzie Q By coincidence, my Cantonese friend called me and so, I asked her to record herself saying wontons in her language.

Here it is.

The link expires in 30 days but if you or anyone else still wants it after that, just ask.

If the download is too slow  you can PM me with an email address and I can send it.

Thank you! I just listened to it. It satisfied my curiosity.  😁

• Like 1

Last time I had this I was too lazy to remove it from the delivery container and rebowl them and also, took a crap photo. I hope I've done a bit better this time. 鲜肉大馄饨 (xiān ròu dà hún tun), large fresh pork wontons in a spicy broth.

wontons.thumb.jpg.ff6d531972e224622d70f34bb90a5d68.jpg

• Like 8

First fresh bolete (foraged yesterday) made into an omelet filling with chard, green onion and feta. There's enough filling for another omelet tomorrow.

Enjoyed with caramelized onion focaccia, V8, coffee and homemade applesauce.

DSCN1152.thumb.JPG.d8a035ad4ad417da38e8300486ef5b9c.JPGDSCN1153.thumb.JPG.8c0e0d232e1f0e1fa802cf5aa04f487c.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot