• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans 2022: A brief foodblog

Last (and definitely least!) meal here is at Leah’s Cafe in MSY:

6EB2A041-78A7-4D54-BEEC-418A8167DA23.jpeg

Yep, the flavor and texture of an airport shrimp sandwich, as you’d expect. And slow, besides. (Not something you want at an airport in most cases!)

It’s probably just as well I’m heading home now: I need a few days of eating yogurt for lunch and vegetable stir fries for dinner, sans wine! Well, and maybe a pizza or two :) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2
  • Sad 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Chris, everything looks enviably delicious and I'm glad you brought us along. I have a few belated questions, beginning with this dish at Herbsaint

On 1/3/2022 at 3:49 PM, Chris Hennes said:

My wife had a "small plate" of homemade spaghetti topped with breaded egg. She reports that it, too, was excellent.

20220103-IMG_0148.jpg

What exactly is breaded egg? I can't make it out from the picture. Oh, and do you remember what sort of sauce was with that spaghetti?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 1/6/2022 at 5:23 AM, Shelby said:

We love drum and eat it quite often.  Around here some folks consider it a "trash" fish, but it shouldn't be.  I want to make that salad.  Could you describe the dressing a bit please (insert question mark that doesn't work on my keyboard anymore)

Drum fish? Never in my life have I heard of it nor seen mention of it. Until now. 😛 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SusieQ said:

Drum fish? Never in my life have I heard of it nor seen mention of it. Until now. 😛 

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I only know red drum, which I eat regularly. But I suspect that is something different. It is farmed locally and is similar to seabass.

Here is a bit about the KS version of Drum.

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Thanks.

Yeah, I'd worked out we were talking about two different things. Yours are a freshwater fish and mine is an Atlantic seawater variety. Similar name, but there it ends.

@Chris Hennes Thanks for  this topic. I don't really know what drew me to it. I've never been to New Orleans and probably never will make it, but it was interesting.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

If you've read Pat Conroy's "Beach Music" - drum  is the fish the Southern boy speaks lovingly of catching and cooking. Thanks for the ride Chris.

St Charles.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Smithy said:

Chris, everything looks enviably delicious and I'm glad you brought us along. I have a few belated questions, beginning with this dish at Herbsaint

What exactly is breaded egg? I can't make it out from the picture. Oh, and do you remember what sort of sauce was with that spaghetti?

At the risk of pre-empting Chris, and the further risk of being accused of shameless promotion (the recipe was worked out by my partner, @JAZ), it looks quite a bit like this. Maybe not exactly carbonara, but that little strip of bacon on top brings it awfully close.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

8 hours ago, SusieQ said:

Adding my 2cents to this, I think that, in N.O. and other southern parts, drum is sometimes referred to as croaker.  At least that was what I was told years ago when we were there and I asked if it was related to catfish.  Its not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

Adding my 2cents to this, I think that, in N.O. and other southern parts, drum is sometimes referred to as croaker.  At least that was what I was told years ago when we were there and I asked if it was related to catfish.  Its not.

Yes to croaker/drum. No to catfish.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?