• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans 2022: A brief foodblog

I got it many years ago when I used to subscribe to Storyville Coffee — I’ve since graduated to roasting my own, but I always liked their logo, as a former aerospace engineer. And I don’t like drinking tea out of paper cups, which is all hotel rooms seem to have these days.

• Like 7

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

When I got that restaurant cancellation notice this morning, at first I thought it was from Cochon -- I had several Resy reservations, and the notice didn't say which restaurant was cancelling: the last message I had in the list was from Cochon, so I thought it was from them. Fortunately it occurred to me eventually to call, since it as sort of ambiguous, and sure enough, they were still open tonight. So, dinner at Cochon:

20220104-IMG_0171.jpg

20220104-IMG_0172.jpg

Started with a Chablis:

20220104-IMG_0173.jpg

And some dinner rolls:

20220104-IMG_0174.jpg

Alligator in mustard sauce:

20220104-IMG_0175.jpg

Yellowfish dip on housemade crackers:

20220104-IMG_0176.jpg

Head cheese with house pickles and mustard:

20220104-IMG_0177.jpg

Gumbo (of course):

20220104-IMG_0178.jpg

And scallops:

20220104-IMG_0180.jpg

Unsurprisingly for a place called "cochon", I thought the real standout was the headcheese, which was superb. Which is not to put down the rest of the meal, of course, everything was delicious. I should eat salads for every meal next week, though. This is sort of exhausting!

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

They used to have a row of their house made pickled things lining the bar. Glad you enjoyed. My favorite is no longer a standard - duck livers wth hot pepper jelly. Carry on :)

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

@Chris Hennes 

your blog is very uplifting .

Ive never been to N.O. , and don't see it happening

in the near to medium future.  I did have my chances ...

blogs like this and so many others here

including fine home Cooking //  Chef-ing

posted here on eG 

have helped me tremendously 

during These Times .

the only other option would have been

Cheap , but dry WhiteWine   

I would have installed a ' Tap ' for efficiency sake.

Reds = Migraines .

so thank you all.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It seemed I would be remiss not to eat at one of the "old guard" while I was here, and Galatoire's is just a few blocks from where we are staying. So while I know, it's not "Friday Lunch" (which now takes reservations!!), but I did enjoy a Wednesday lunch at  Galatoire's today. Considerably less boisterous, but the food is still the classics.

20220105-IMG_0192.jpg

Fresh bread:

20220105-IMG_0181.jpg

Garlic bread:

20220105-IMG_0189.jpg

Pommes souffle:

20220105-IMG_0185.jpg

Oysters Rockefeller:

20220105-IMG_0186.jpg

Turtle soup (not gumbo!!):

20220105-IMG_0188.jpg

Crabmeat Sardou:

20220105-IMG_0191.jpg

And no room for dessert!

20220105-IMG_0183.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

On 1/4/2022 at 12:49 PM, Chris Hennes said:

The weather is spectacular today, perfect for a walk, so we took the streetcar halfway and walked the rest to Willy Mae's Scotch House (original location, not the new one in the food court).

20220104-IMG_0163.jpg

Obviously, I had the fried chicken (dark meat). I mean this in the most literal sense: it was perfect. I can't think of anything that could possibly have improved this chicken. Perfectly seasoned, just a little spicy but not so much that you couldn't taste the chicken, moist and tender, with a shatteringly crisp crust. Basically sets the gold standard for fried chicken.

20220104-IMG_0164.jpg

My wife ordered the red beans:

20220104-IMG_0166.jpg

I also ordered the red beans, but the waiter said "why you ordering the same thing she got? Get the butter beans." Yes sir. Butter beans it is:

20220104-IMG_0165.jpg

Both beans were excellent: a bit spicy but not over-the-top. Also, cornbread muffins:

20220104-IMG_0167.jpg

A little sweeter than I would expect here in the southern US, but still delicious. Finally, an obligatory bread pudding:

20220104-IMG_0168.jpg

Needed vanilla ice cream. But I definitely did not need anymore food at this point, so I shouldn't complain. We walked really slowly getting back to the streetcar :) .

I have never had fried chicken that even approached that level of beauty, just looking at the pictures, it looks perfect. Fried chicken is not a big thing on the west coast of Canada. I'm looking at you KFC, Popeye's et al. Not something I have ever ordered, but you can bet that the next time I get to NOLA, it will be first on my list!

I really didn't intend for this trip to become the Chef Donald Link show, but here we are. I've had two cancellations here in NOLA, and in both cases I quite unintentionally replaced the original with one of Donald Link's places. Tonight was supposed to be Bayona, but with the world being what it is, I wasn't able to dine there. All props to the Bayona team for making the hard call to close: for that, I promise to make sure to dine there next time I'm here in New Orleans, and to spend profligately 😃. But that meant a last-minute replacement, and that replacement was Pêche.

20220105-IMG_0193.jpg

A little splurge on our last night here:

20220105-IMG_0194.jpg

We started with some appetizers/small plates (I never have figured out the difference between the two...):

Hushpuppies:

20220105-IMG_0197.jpg

"Fish sticks":

20220105-IMG_0195.jpg

Smoked drum salad:

20220105-IMG_0196.jpg

All excellent (that drum salad had cauliflower and broccoli as the principal vegetables, plus sunflower seeds for added crunch -- it was remarkable). For our mains...

Baked drum in coconut curry:

20220105-IMG_0199.jpg

And I had snapper collars:

20220105-IMG_0198.jpg

Again, both excellent. For dessert, sticky toffee pudding with cream cheese ice cream:

20220105-IMG_0200.jpg

And they had the cognac I wanted. So, another winner. I know it's almost certainly sacrilege, but I liked the food here better than Cochon. Not that Cochon wasn't excellent! But I really did enjoy Pêche more.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

This is definitely not the kind of thread to read when you're on a diet like me! :shock:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

8 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

I really didn't intend for this trip to become the Chef Donald Link show, but here we are. I've had two cancellations here in NOLA, and in both cases I quite unintentionally replaced the original with one of Donald Link's places. Tonight was supposed to be Bayona, but with the world being what it is, I wasn't able to dine there. All props to the Bayona team for making the hard call to close: for that, I promise to make sure to dine there next time I'm here in New Orleans, and to spend profligately 😃. But that meant a last-minute replacement, and that replacement was Pêche.

20220105-IMG_0193.jpg

A little splurge on our last night here:

20220105-IMG_0194.jpg

We started with some appetizers/small plates (I never have figured out the difference between the two...):

Hushpuppies:

20220105-IMG_0197.jpg

"Fish sticks":

20220105-IMG_0195.jpg

Smoked drum salad:

20220105-IMG_0196.jpg

All excellent (that drum salad had cauliflower and broccoli as the principal vegetables, plus sunflower seeds for added crunch -- it was remarkable). For our mains...

Baked drum in coconut curry:

20220105-IMG_0199.jpg

And I had snapper collars:

20220105-IMG_0198.jpg

Again, both excellent. For dessert, sticky toffee pudding with cream cheese ice cream:

20220105-IMG_0200.jpg

And they had the cognac I wanted. So, another winner. I know it's almost certainly sacrilege, but I liked the food here better than Cochon. Not that Cochon wasn't excellent! But I really did enjoy Pêche more.

We love drum and eat it quite often.  Around here some folks consider it a "trash" fish, but it shouldn't be.  I want to make that salad.  Could you describe the dressing a bit please (insert question mark that doesn't work on my keyboard anymore)

25 minutes ago, Shelby said:

We love drum and eat it quite often.  Around here some folks consider it a "trash" fish, but it shouldn't be.

I wonder @Shelby if it's the same drum @Chris Hennes was eating last night. My guess is you're eating freshwater drum, whereas Chris could certainly be eating drum from salt water (which I've caught while fishing the Chesapeake).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

I wonder @Shelby if it's the same drum @Chris Hennes was eating last night. My guess is you're eating freshwater drum, whereas Chris could certainly be eating drum from salt water (which I've caught while fishing the Chesapeake).

Oh yes, mine is definitely freshwater.  Good point.  

• Like 1