• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The mustard potato recipe is the first one in the book and is available via Amazon’s “look inside” feature. 

I just jad to give these a try and while I found them quite tasty they did not blow me away. The book looks very interesting and I have downloaded a sample. I enjoyed the potatoes for breakfast so I posted the photograph in the breakfast thread. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I just jad to give these a try and while I found them quite tasty they did not blow me away. The book looks very interesting and I have downloaded a sample. I enjoyed the potatoes for breakfast so I posted the photograph in the breakfast thread. 

I think you would enjoy the book.  It's a lovely memoir of a cooking life and I thought of you as soon as I got it because I know you appreciate the story-telling aspect of cookbooks as I do although  I didn’t know if you were able to do much reading. 
The first printing of the book sold out right away and some of the friends I chatted it up to had to go to much effort to get their copies but, thankfully they liked it.  
As to the potatoes, I agree they aren’t mind blowing.  Barely a recipe, really: boil up some spuds, rough them up by tossing them about in the pan with butter and mustard and then pop them into the oven to brown and crisp.  She said they hold well and indeed they did as my cilantro looked rather worse for the wear and so I had to run out to the store mid-cook.  I love that her mom was putting these on the family table with fish back in the 1930s.  I'll be filing it away as a back-pocket potato!

• Thanks 1

Lunch on Thursday was my leftovers from Chinese on Thursday night:

IMG_9323.jpg.8a87ee3ffe0e9b2b7ae552ee2c654c5b.jpg

Lemon shrimp (sauce on the side) and fried rice. 

Brunch after church at our favorite deli.  Mr. Kim’s “healthy” Adkins meal:

IMG_9367.jpg.06f013340dc9882f6170eaf4eba7a9fe.jpg 

3 eggs and double bacon.  My “unhealthy” meal:

IMG_9368.jpg.534a1a2c93dcbd12f437301f9383b700.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg.055d442e10a2556550715459d935d2bc.jpg 

3 eggs (I ate 2) 2 pieces of bacon, fried potatoes and a bagel, which I ate half of. 

Today’s lunch was the leftovers from yesterday:

IMG_9373.jpg.837626a1e365c2bb8901aba28226e154.jpg

An ET bagel, cream cheese, and a couple of slices of bacon. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

It's asparagus fest (again) at Restaurante Mi Casita this weekend. So far 1 kilo of green asparagus and 6,5 kilos of the "normal" kind.

I2E2ozW.jpg

Buffalo mozzarella, olive oil and basil.

H9MA1fo.jpg

It’s called “sausage salad” in German but it contains no “sausage” (bangers/Bratwurst).

QXVzxT8.jpg

Quark with snipped chives and basil for new potatoes and asparagus.

2NIhMvU.jpg

Siced smoked Matjes

8D7W8dZ.jpg

52mSCgg.jpg

Sometime this week: lamb with rice shaped pasta. Don't this pasta so finally used it all up. Good riddance.

e4Ew43P.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Indonesian chicken soup - soto ayam... I think I'll put what I did in RecipEgullet so I can remember what to do for next time...  I didn't have any cabbage, so I used some baby bok choi (which is a type of cabbage)...

PXL_20220522_173540546.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.d23b0aeba8cab6eab23bf3b552e766f2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Jessica and I went up to the DC area on Friday to make some family visits and to tour the Mormon Temple which, due to some construction work, is currently unconsecrated and open for tours to the general public.  We had lunch with my dad and his wife at a place called Ford’s Fish Shack in Ashburn.  No pictures, but it is only the second place I’ve ever seen whole belly clams in the South.  They were delicious.  I cannot imagine why more places don’t have these.

We had lunch after the tour on Saturday at a place called The Dish & Dram in Kensington MD.  We shared a good Caesar salad:

IMG_9429.jpg.14b84aa99de1e122d65ed1dc8f926dfa.jpg 

Jessica had the falafel burger:

IMG_9430.jpg.f00ef99b3935760851717502f82a1612.jpg 

I had the brisket sandwich:

IMG_9431.jpg.98ec35a3a02c11582b83551cda55717b.jpg 

67485562355__ADD6E5F7-BDB8-4EF8-BA8F-EB4BB857066E.thumb.jpg.d4e7190da29d55120e8f246b82115bad.jpg

The sandwiches were both excellent and the fries, which are hard to see in the pictures, were really amazingly good.  Especially with the Old Bay aioli. 

We made our way back to Richmond after lunch.  By the time we got as far as Fredericksburg, we were far enough from lunch that we stopped for frozen custard:

IMG_9433.thumb.jpg.7ea803cb57851ab18cb7bdba69a016c7.jpg 

Strawberry and chocolate:

IMG_9434.thumb.jpg.b554808596e66e0f68e268e92618bd85.jpg 

As far as I’m concerned the best, creamiest, most delicious frozen dessert in existence. 

On Sunday, we had a church picnic (inside – it was upper 90s in VA this weekend).  Poor Mr. Kim cooked hamburgers and hot dogs all morning and I brought a really old favorite:

IMG_9438.jpg.b0105b7da04237b5b70b1e1de1ccc348.jpg 

This is my favorite layered salad – iceberg, cauliflower, mayo, red onions, bacon, Cheddar, and sugar (yep).  Made the night before and tossed a few minutes before serving.  I add a lot of freshly ground black pepper when I toss it.  Sometimes I’ll put in some sliced hard-boiled eggs, too.  I’ve been making it since the early 1980s – as a new bride – it was a good, inexpensive thing to take to a potluck.  But it was apparently made as far back as the 1950s in the American south. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

pEAAABE33-6352-4E4A-B32F-C6ABDC807A15.thumb.jpeg.b28101cb3ef4129c96f4425bc4942243.jpeg Chicken liver pate from @Kerry Beal(made with her new toy Pacojet), croutons courtesy of a baguette from @Alleguede.  Gherkins and fig preserves on the side. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

This one hit the spot.  I cooked a  couple of ribeyes from the $6.99/lb rib roast that I sectioned out at Easter.  Served with a garlicky salad and pork rinds.  A little rare for my wife but by the time she gets home only the medium rare will be left🙄

IMG_20220525_115555799_HDR.thumb.jpg.cbbc42a781dff56cb7ceaa5f2df87559.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

@Anna N - your pate lunch is exactly my idea of the perfect lunch.  

The soft shells have arrived in Central VA!  We had lunch yesterday at a favorite little place called Dot's Back Inn.  Salad with their great house made bleu cheese dressing:

1-IMG_9471.jpg.bf7ec658b5789e5498447455f0b54b12.jpg

Mr. Kim had the red beans and rice w/ Andouille sausage (weirdo):

1-IMG_9474.jpg.0f3f27e98de4d0beb18f7d2f27ccdd19.jpg

It was good.  

Jessica and I had soft shell sandwiches:

1-IMG_9472.jpg.913baafe85468c82da91229bc88c9521.jpg

1-IMG_9475.jpg.bf931e55e816c1859b53fe8de43cec3e.jpg

Heavenly.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

Chilled soups: macadamia nuts are usually added for body/texture. Dairy can be kefir or full-fat milk.

Radish leaves & chard

1xbGVNd.jpg

Radishes

QoeiLIn.jpg

Beetroot & pear

qdhF8Er.jpg

Taking a break from Riesling

1wtkA8A.jpg

Another long weekend meal.

1HKScZp.jpg

Just one filled with walnuts

2c3mhMt.jpg

When I go to Turkey I'll eat my weight in baklava. The triangles are buttery. Greek and Syrian baklava is not so loaded with pistachios like Turkish.

FuBhhhm.jpg

Oaxacan hot chocolate

JissEIR.jpg

Prawns and oysters

2mPxN1V.jpg

Yet another meal. Oaxacan Tuxta chillies with tamari. Tuxta is extremely rare seasonal chillies and endemic to Oaxaca. Tuxta is very hot.

D6wX1sF.jpg

Steamed roe with ginger. 2,5 pairs of fresh roe sacs.

0ngy4qB.jpg

I love to eat what you hate. SV lamb's liver then marinated in tamari-chilli sauce.

llvNLNv.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

Chilled soups: macadamia nuts are usually added for body/texture. Dairy can be kefir or full-fat milk.

Radish leaves & chard

1xbGVNd.jpg

Radishes

QoeiLIn.jpg

Beetroot & pear

qdhF8Er.jpg

Taking a break from Riesling

1wtkA8A.jpg

Another long weekend meal.

1HKScZp.jpg

Just one filled with walnuts

2c3mhMt.jpg

When I go to Turkey I'll eat my weight in baklava. The triangles are buttery. Greek and Syrian baklava is not so loaded with pistachios like Turkish.

FuBhhhm.jpg

Oaxacan hot chocolate

JissEIR.jpg

Prawns and oysters

2mPxN1V.jpg

Yet another meal. Oaxacan Tuxta chillies with tamari. Tuxta is extremely rare seasonal chillies and endemic to Oaxaca. Tuxta is very hot.

D6wX1sF.jpg

Steamed roe with ginger. 2,5 pairs of fresh roe sacs.

0ngy4qB.jpg

I love to eat what you hate. SV lamb's liver then marinated in tamari-chilli sauce.

llvNLNv.jpg

Can you get candlenuts in your area? They're great for adding texture to curries and soups.

What is the Oaxacan hot chocolate? Is it brewed from roasted cocoa beans like coffee or made with melted Mexican chocolate?

• Like 1

@BonVivant – those baklava look exquisite!  One of my favorite sweets!

On Sunday we had a post church lunch somewhere we don’t eat at very often and I’m not sure why we don’t.  The food was fantastic.  I had breakfast food and Mr. Kim had lunch food.  I double ordered and took half home.  Over medium eggs, fat link sausage, great potatoes, pancakes, and one biscuit and sausage gravy:

1-IMG_9507.jpg.9a709bcff6328c90b85d0ab0f135842d.jpg 

I really wish I could find that fat sausage somewhere.  It’s the best link sausage I’ve ever eaten and I’ve only ever had it at restaurants.

1-IMG_9506.jpg.140b9f035944c9abf268d71359ed9eb1.jpg 

Mr. Kim got one of the best tasting and most balanced Reubens I’ve had recently:

1-IMG_9508.jpg.761aab644bf187f9935715ce42935b73.jpg 

Some people might think it doesn’t have enough corned beef, but to me it was a perfect bite – you could taste every single thing in the sandwich. 

Mr. Kim’s lunch yesterday was dogs with mustard, jalapenos, and slaw:

1-IMG_9513.jpg.47067c3e33818816a083f00635b9a6dd.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Everything looks great @Kim Shook!  

51 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I had breakfast food and Mr. Kim had lunch food. I double ordered and took half home

May I ask what you brought home?  I'm good with reheating frozen waffles and pancakes in the CSO but I usually think most breakfast stuff is best when it's hot off the ....well, whatever it was cooked on!  So much so that breakfast out isn't something I usually go for.  

51 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Mr. Kim got one of the best tasting and most balanced Reubens I’ve had recently:

1-IMG_9508.jpg.761aab644bf187f9935715ce42935b73.jpg 

Some people might think it doesn’t have enough corned beef, but to me it was a perfect bite – you could taste every single thing in the sandwich. 

That looks perfect to me. I've never ordered a Reuben for fear of being served one of those meat bombs I can't get my jaw around!  

Edited to add that I realize I sound like an awful whiner in these comments. Probably true!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Everything looks great @Kim Shook!  

May I ask what you brought home?  I'm good with reheating frozen waffles and pancakes in the CSO but I usually think most breakfast stuff is best when it's hot off the ....well, whatever it was cooked on!  So much so that breakfast out isn't something I usually go for.  

That looks perfect to me. I've never ordered a Reuben for fear of being served one of those meat bombs I can't get my jaw around!  

Edited to add that I realize I sound like an awful whiner in these comments. Probably true!

I brought home one sausage link (sliced into bite-sized pieces and microwaved for about 20 seconds), pancakes (CSO), the potatoes (bake/steam CSO), and the gravy (microwaved and put on top of the last slice of my homemade bread.

I don't think you sound whiny at all.  I am not a fan of leftovers at all, so the CSO has become a lifesaver for me.  And as for those gigantic, jaw defying deli sandwiches, I can't manage them and actually find them unbalanced.  I end up pulling off half the meat and taking it home.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2022 at 12:53 PM, Kim Shook said:

Right - we put too much meat in our sandwiches in America!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

39 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Fish and chips.

lol. Love it. Nice sardines. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

Fish and chips. And some salsa Espinaler

AE605673-7C3E-430D-9D23-4257AE860401.thumb.jpeg.4e33577d56147c12855776d8ee9bbb55.jpeg

57 minutes ago, weinoo said:

That Peña stuff is a fave.

When your tin of fish comes inside its own box …with gold accents, no less…you fancy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Right - we put too much meat in our sandwiches in America!

If memory serves (and note I said IF) the traditional corned beef or pastrami sandwich at a deli in NY was typically an unbalanced Everest of juicy thin-sliced meat with mustard on rye.  So, nothing but meat. I really can't imagine eating that much meat now. 

• Like 2

Bought from 3 different bakeries, eaten on a Luxembourgish train. I actually took 2 bites from each but ate much of one pretzel. Travelling companion hit the pastry jackpot.

IMUcQdd.jpg

Views from the train window. Riesling vineyards all along the route.

uDRpkHc.jpg

Been a long day, but at this very moment...

sOdVCGB.jpg

Classical bottle conditioned fermentation, bottles are turned manually. AKA méthode champenoise.

Yzdyx3J.jpg

Riesling (Sekt) every day for a week.

twZQsEf.jpg

(Sorry but I don't know how to get rid of the quoted mess. Meant to reply below it.)

Yes. I can get candlenuts but I only like macadamia.

Re Oaxacan chocolate: dissolve in hot water and rub a molinillo/stirring stick vigorously between hands until froth forms. That's Oaxacan way. I just dissolve the chocolate in hot water, that's why you don't see any froth.

On 5/29/2022 at 8:49 PM, KennethT said:

Can you get candlenuts in your area? They're great for adding texture to curries and soups.

What is the Oaxacan hot chocolate? Is it brewed from roasted cocoa beans like coffee or made with melted Mexican chocolate?

On 5/29/2022 at 8:49 PM, KennethT said:

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

If memory serves (and note I said IF) the traditional corned beef or pastrami sandwich at a deli in NY was typically an unbalanced Everest of juicy thin-sliced meat with mustard on rye.  So, nothing but meat. I really can't imagine eating that much meat now. 

Correct - while a sandwich, say, in Europe, is as much about the bread and balance.

At Katz's, I'll remove most of the meat, make 2 sandwiches, and bring the rest home.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?