• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

There are cookie mixes, various muffin mixes, cake mixes, etc. I haven't looked on the website to see if they still make all of them. This cookbooklet was published in 2004, I think.

Jiffy cook Book.jpg

Jiffy history.jpg

Jiffy recipes.jpg

Wow!  I know I've seen the biscuit mix, but I'm not sure I've seen all the other stuff besides the cornbread.  Here's what they still sell.  I remember Martha White cake mixes, but not Jiffy's.  They were awful and only made one layer.  

On 6/4/2021 at 12:35 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I happened on this article,  How an Award-Winning Pastry Chef Doctors Up Boxed Cornbread, in which chef Kelly Fields offers a bunch of both savory and sweet Jiffy tweaks. 

I got some Jiffy cornbread mix from Amazon.  I read through the article and while she states the mix-in quantities, she doesn't say how much of the mix to use.  Any idea?  If not, I could probably just wing it.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I got some Jiffy cornbread mix from Amazon.  I read through the article and while she states the mix-in quantities, she doesn't say how much of the mix to use.  Any idea?  If not, I could probably just wing it.

This sentence leads me to believe that she's using the whole box:

“Start with one (8½-ounce) box of Jiffy corn muffin mix. Just follow the package instructions, using egg and milk, unless I’ve instructed otherwise.” 

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

This sentence leads me to believe that she's using the whole box:

Well, for heaven's sake!  I can't believe I read the whole thing and missed that sentence.  Thank you.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Wow!  I know I've seen the biscuit mix, but I'm not sure I've seen all the other stuff besides the cornbread.  Here's what they still sell.  I remember Martha White cake mixes, but not Jiffy's.  They were awful and only made one layer.  

I think they used to have a full range of cake flavors but now only a yellow cake mix. My mom always kept some of the Jiffy cake mixes on hand exactly because they only made one layer.  It was perfect for this type of 11" flan/tart pan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) with a fairly deep indent for the filling of your choice.  Mom generally used a layer of pudding, topped with fruit and edged with whipped cream. Fresh fruit ruled in the summer but a chocolate cake could be topped chocolate pudding and cherry pie filling, spice cake with banana pudding and banana slices.  It was her signature pot-luck contribution and always well received.  I shared a photo of her in her 90's making one of these creations over in this post on Cake Memories.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think they used to have a full range of cake flavors but now only a yellow cake mix. My mom always kept some of the Jiffy cake mixes on hand exactly because they only made one layer.  It was perfect for this type of 11" flan/tart pan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) with a fairly deep indent for the filling of your choice.  Mom generally used a layer of pudding, topped with fruit and edged with whipped cream. Fresh fruit ruled in the summer but a chocolate cake could be topped chocolate pudding and cherry pie filling, spice cake with banana pudding and banana slices.  It was her signature pot-luck contribution and always well received.  I shared a photo of her in her 90's making one of these creations over in this post on Cake Memories.

Thank you for sharing that. I love the photos of your Mom!

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

20 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I had completely forgotten that thread!  Thank you so much for linking to it.  Those are the topics that I love the best at eG.  The ones that tell a story and connect food and people.  Love the picture of your mom!

• Like 2

I just had an odd result. Regular cornbread mix I decided to do with no adds or changes other than almond milk (plain) as no milk here. That sub has never been an issue. Smells great, tastes good BUT it is super crumbly. Not over or under baked. Using a spoon with my garlic shrimp. So odd.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2