• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks for the Instant Pot

TdeV

Melissa Clark has 2 that are worth a look.  See if your library has them so you can see what you think.  The Kindle versions of both have been available at bargain prices.

Dinner in an Instant: 75 Modern Recipes for Your Pressure Cooker, Multicooker, and Instant Pot® : A Cookbook

Comfort in an Instant: 75 Comfort Food Recipes for Your Pressure Cooker, Multicooker, and Instant Pot®: A Cookbook

If enjoy Indian cuisine, you might consider Indian Instant Pot® Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy and Fast by Urvashi Pitre.  Indian friends taught me how to cook their recipes and all of them regularly used a pressure cooker so it's a natural fit.  You can check out her website to see if you like her style 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've come across this:

https://www.motherjones.com/food/2018/12/the-best-cookbooks-and-instant-pot-guides-melissa-clark-superiority-burger/

which lists Melissa Clark, of course.

Also

Essential Indian Instant Pot, by Archana Mundhe

Power Plates: 100 Nutritionally Balanced, One-Dish Vegan Meals, by Gena Hamshaw

Solo: A Modern Cookbook for a Party of One, by Anita Lo

Superiority Burger Cookbook: The Vegetarian Hamburger Is Now Delicious, by Brooks Headley

A Burger to Believe In, by Chris Kronner

Have any experience with these books?

I borrowed Solo from the library. It has some good ideas but wasn’t a must have for me. I've got a ton of cookbooks and have been encouraged by other eG members to figure out how to scale recipes to suit.  I can’t say I remember it being Instant Pot centric in any way.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I borrowed Solo from the library. It has some good ideas but wasn’t a must have for me. I've got a ton of cookbooks and have been encouraged by other eG members to figure out how to scale recipes to suit.  I can’t say I remember it being Instant Pot centric in any way.

Solo is not an IP cookbook. That said, I've enjoyed using it on the nights I'm cooking for one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

20 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Solo was a huge disappointment for me. Perhaps it was overhyped. Perhaps I was expecting more because I am a great admirer of Anita Lo. It just didn’t do it for me. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

iPot cookbooks seems to be multiplying like , well you know.

I have Hip , 

The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook: Easy Recipes for Fast & Healthy Meals 

Indian Instant Pot® Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy and Fast

The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook: Authentic Flavors and Modern Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker 

Vegetarian Indian Cooking with Your Instant Pot: 75 Traditional Recipes That Are Easier, Quicker and Healthier

I stopped there.  my library system as a huge number of them

and there are now probably iPot books for every cuisine.

this mexican one Ive had out from the library a few times :

The Essential Mexican Instant Pot Cookbook: Authentic Flavors and Modern Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon links to be eG-friendly (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I now have both Melissa Clark books mentioned above by @blue_dolphin: 75 Modern Recipes for the IP and 75 Comfort Recipes for the IP, both of which I find quite useful.

Also Instant Pot Fast and Easy : 100 Simple and Delicious Recipes for Your Instant Pot by Urvashi Pitre is a "convenient" simplification of international recipes (India, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China, Jamaica, Mexico, etc.) which illustrate uses of the Instant Pot. Originally I got it from the library but liked it so much, I now have a copy. 😀

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

BUMP! Are there any new books we should add to this list? I am about to buy an Instant Pot and want a few books for guidance.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 2 months later...

I just got "Indian Instant Pot Cookbook" and am wondering about the amount of liquid in the recipes (like a quarter cup only). Will I ruin my IP if I do this? I thought you needed at least a cup of liquid. Thoughts?

Indian Instant Pot® Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy and Fast (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Orbit said:

I just got "Indian Instant Pot Cookbook" and am wondering about the amount of liquid in the recipes (like a quarter cup only). Will I ruin my IP if I do this? I thought you needed at least a cup of liquid. Thoughts?

Indian Instant Pot® Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy and Fast (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Are there any moisture-containing ingredients like tomatoes, onions, etc.?  If so, it should be fine.  You do need some sort of liquid to create the steam that will generate pressure. 

Here's a recipe that uses no added water at all but there's enough moisture in the ingredients to make it work. Colombian Chicken Stew With Potatoes, Tomato, and Onion Recipe by Kenji Lopez-Alt on Serious Eats.

Even if all the other ingredients are bone dry, you may ruin the meal, but the Instant Pot should sense that it's overheating and you'll get a "burn" error on the display before it's destroyed.  I generally find recipes by the author of your book to be OK so I kind of doubt that will happen. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

generally find recipes by the author of your book to be OK so I kind of doubt that will happen. 

And may I add that pressure cookers (not the instant pot) are widely used in India. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog