• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

My new favorite cocktail is a Vodka Martini, mainly because I so love Mezzeta cocktail onions...I just can't. Get enough of those.  

On 6/14/2018 at 7:16 PM, lindag said:

My new favorite cocktail is a Vodka Martini, mainly because I so love Mezzeta cocktail onions...I just can't. Get enough of those.  

*cough* Gibson.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, EvergreenDan said:

*cough* Gibson.

Okay, Gibson it is.

Posted (edited)

@Rafa's Bourbon Decay (Bourbon, Campari, lemon, cassis).

No real surprises here but a likable drink. I often find cassis to be a pushy ingredient, at least the bottle I have, so here I think the Campari is well placed--its bitterness, arriving a split second later, is a welcome counterpoint to the tart sip. 

bourbondecay 1.png

Edited by Craig E reconsidered wording (log)
  • Like 2

Enjoying a Sunday morning Bloody Mary, complete with spicy pickled asparagus spears.

• Like 2

So far today's pours have been Wild Turkey Decades, Old Fitz 1920 and Monkey Shoulders, in that order while preparing the Father's Day meal and dips in the pool to cool off.  The Monkey Shoulders is a fine inexpensive blended scotch.  The Decades and 1920, exceptional pours.  I have an open bottle  of a single cask 15 yr old Inchmurrin Scotch which is calling me for a late after dinner pour.  A really nice pour that deserves some attention 

I'll have to wait for the morning to get some orange blossom water from the grocery store to finish my batch of orgeat, but in the meantime I'm enjoying the almond pralines I made with the leftovers!

• Like 1

Hotter than the depths of hell here, so last night it was two Daiquirí No. 4s, (turns out in a Blendtec, 12 oz of crushed ice rather than 16 is the way to go), and then a Crafty and Elusive Elk once I was properly cooled off

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 2

My nearby state-owned liquor store didn't have Absolut Peppar so I bought Stoli instead for my *Gibson*.

Not as good....I love the spicy Peppar.

2 hours ago, lindag said:

My nearby state-owned liquor store didn't have Absolut Peppar so I bought Stoli instead for my *Gibson*.

The juniper flavor works well. Many brands are made.

• Like 3

Christmas in Kentucky:

• 1 oz Overproof bourbon, Knob Creek (Elijah Craig)
  • 1 oz Aperol
  • 1 1/2 oz Grapefruit juice
  • 1/2 oz Lime juice

Shake, strain, lowball, rocks.

Very nice. The grapefruit and Aperol both contributed a mild bitterness, just enough gravitas. 

christmasinkentucky 1.png

• Like 3

Midnight Prayer
by Brian MacGregor, Jardinière, San Francisco, CA.

• 1 1/2 oz Gin, G'Vine Floraison (Plymouth Navy Strength)
  • 3/4 oz St. Germain
  • 1 t Crème de Violette
  • dash Regans' orange bitters

Stir, strain, up, lemon twist.

For those in the "St. Germain makes everything better" camp, this drink will confirm your bias. Its sweet lychee flavor added instant appeal to this sourless Aviation. I've never had the G'Vine gin, but figured the navy strength Plymouth would be closer to the original intentions than the London dry gins I have on hand. I was amazed that high octane of the base spirit (57 proof) was wholly masked by the mix. 

midnightprayer 1.png