• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Drinks

guajolote

We've been discussing the Dr. Pepper:

1 beer

3/4 ounce amaretto

1/4 ounce 151

pour the amaretto into a shot glass, top with 151 and flambe. Drop shot glass into beer and chug

Here's another good one.

Cement Mixer:

Squeeze 1/4 lime into shot glass. Fill the glass slowly with Baileys (it should float on top). After drinking shot swirl it in your mouth to mix.

I mainly remember (speaking figuratively, of course) the infamous "Daquiri Parties" of my early years.

All that the host/hostess really needed was a house that had electricity. If they had some daquiri "fixin's" that was okay, but not required. Party-goers were expected to bring jugs of rum, cans of limeade, ice and several different "favorite" ingredients, as well as auxiliary blenders so we could have several going at once.

The thing was to try to bring the most exotic fruit to throw in. Everyone started off with strawberries, peaches, bananas. But nothing was off-limits. There'd be blueberries and raspberries and pineapples and mangos and kiwi and plums. And then we'd run out of the "normal" stuff, and begin rooting through the pantry, refrigerator and freezer for the "secondary" normal stuff: apples and grapes and canned fruit cocktail.

And then things would get desperate. I vaguely remember ending up one evening with "potato daquiris."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ah, the good old days.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The drink we fondly referred to in high school as "The Mason Jar."

1 large mason jar

1/2 inch from every bottle of liquor in parents' liquor cabinet

cover and shake.

Mix with Mountain Dew. Drink copiously and surreptitiously. Vomit. Repeat. Mask breath with McDonald's french fries and Orange Bubble Yum; do not combine simultaneously.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Slow Comfortable Screw Against the Wall .... anyone remember those? Yes, the good old days. :blink:

- 1 part(s) Orange Juice

- 1-1/2 oz Vodka

- 1-2 splash(es) Sloe Gin

- 1-2 splash(es) Southern Comfort

- 1-2 splash(es) Galliano

To this day I can not stand gin because too many Singapore Slings. My stomach gets upset if I walk by a Juniper bush.

We used to have garbage can parties where everyone would bring some liquor and pour it in a garbage can full of fruit and powdered gatorade stolen from the athletic department. No water, we didn't want to dilute it. It got ugly when someone added peppermint schnapps.

My first experiment with intoxication involved everything but the Mason jar. I spent the night at a friend's house and we found the key to her dad's liquor closet and had a taste from every bottle. I have never been so sick in my life.

I might have gotten away with it, but when I trudged home the next day I couldn't come up with a good excuse for how I lost my retainer.

Slow Comfortable Screw Against the Wall ....

Blue, we're still talking about drinks, right? :blink:

Anything remotely sunny-day-sky-colored is off my list. You only need to throw up that color once to swear off it forever.

And I too remember fondly the garbage pail parties in college. Or rather, I don't remember them, really, which is probably why I think of them fondly.

I think we've probably all got that one liquor that we just can't even stomach the smell of, anymore--for lots of my friends it was peach schnapps.

And Schielke, speaking of lovely mixes that f#&^ you up, one of my faves when I was in England was snakebite and black--half cider, half lager, and a shot of black currant juice. Yum, yum! Just sweet enough, highly poundable, and much more powerful than you think! But that doesn't really qualify for this list, because I will never give those up.

Batgrrrl (for whom this is her second post today about alcohol. Man, am I ever looking forward to the weekend!)

Edited: mee knot spel gud

Edited by Batgrrrl (log)

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

I think I've mentioned somewhere that in my late teens my parents gave me "drinking lessons", so that their daughter wouldn't grow up ordering rum and cokes. :biggrin:

So then, as now, I pretty much drink like a businessman.

For awhile, I did love that dry, fizzy Quebec hard cider you could buy at the depaneur. (St. Antoine Abbe?) It was cheap.

And some people here would argue that a Seagrams martini is something I should have given up long since!

(Note:Edited for obnoxious overuse of smilies)

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Slow Comfortable Screw Against the Wall ....

Blue, we're still talking about drinks, right? :blink:

Because if not, that sounds like a contradiction in terms.

And I think it is a "drink" one can only have in one's youth, because in one's dotterage, one's knees would NEVER hold up.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Growing up in Pennsylvania, we'd get bottles of Riunite. We'd drink a bit off the top, put the screw top back on, and then hide the bottle in a bank of snow for a week.

We were convinced this made the wine more alcoholic. It did make it somewhat fizzy.

The main drink I had in my youth was a Tom Collins. That, or a Flaming Orange Gulley.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Reminds me of a waitress in a place I worked in years ago. She had decided that the constant drinking was not doing her any good so she decided to quit. She went dry for several months, then fell off the wagon one night really hard. Down in smoke and flames so to speak.

When she showed up late the following day, she was pretty much green about the gills and while holding her head woozily was heard to mutter: "So help me God I swear on all that's holy that I will never, never, EVER quit drinking again..."

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I remember parties in college where they'd serve Strip-N-Go-Nakeds. I have no idea what was in them, but they didn't taste good.

Watching frat boys do beer bongs was always fascinating in a Jane Goodall kind of way.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

And I too remember fondly the garbage pail parties in college. Or rather, I don't remember them, really, which is probably why I think of them fondly.

Yep, I'm still running with the college crowd, and here reporting in from the Front. There are still a lot of these parties. But in these parts we call it jungle juice. The last jungle juice party I went to seemed more sophisticated: yes, there was the required giant blue Tupperware vat and fifty million empty gallons of booze next to it, and there was fruit--but someone had taken an actual melon baller and had filled the punch with melon balls! It was just delightful. I "just ate the fruit."

Outgrown: LIIT's, Snakebites, Kamikaze, French Kamikaze, The Three Wise Men, Irish Car Bomb, Gorilla Fart, Prairie Fire, Blue Motorcycle, Baby Guinness, Orange F***ers (don't ask), Jager Bomb, Berenjager, any Ouzo drink, White Russians, Black Russians, Blue Maui, Sex on the Beach, any drink that ends in -tini and has colored booze or chocolate syrup or anything in it but gin or vodka.

Have also outgrown the "keg stand": where you are held upside down by a bunch of other drunks over the keg, they stick the tap in your mouth and pour it down your throat until you collapse in a heap on the disgustingly dirty basement floor. I haven't seen a keg stand in a while! Or one of those beer helmets that you put on your head, put 2 beers in the special holders, and drink them rapidly through the long plastic tubes. But, I have been invited to a kegger tomorrow, will report back. :wacko:

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.