• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese graters

lindag

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

I'm looking forward to your report.  Might just be what I'm looking for.  Although I didn't know I was looking for anything until I read your original post.xD

I ordered the Pro salad shooter and will let you know how well it works when it arrives next week.  I think it just might be the answer to my cheese grating woes!

Sorry I keep calling you 'Jo'!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm looking forward to your report.  Might just be what I'm looking for.  Although I didn't know I was looking for anything until I read your original post.xD

Elsie,  I'm sorry if I was calling you ‘Jo’.

My excuse is I was also binge watching ‘Alaska TheLast Frontier’ !!!

Edited by lindag (log)

17 minutes ago, lindag said:

Elsie,  I'm sorry if I was calling you ‘Jo’.

My excuse is I was also binge watching ‘Alaska TheLast Frontier’ !!!

I don't think you were, but if you were, just know that I have been called much, much worse.:D if Jo doesnt mind, then I'm sure I dont.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I don't think you were, but if you were, just know that I have been called much, much worse.:D if Jo doesnt mind, then I'm sure I dont.

Smooch!

• Like 1

For grating hard cheeses I use the Cuisinart - I have the DLC-XP 20 cup and it came with this fine shredding disc which makes quick work of parm, romano, asiago, etc.

Cuisinart  also makes fine grating ;discs for the 14 cup, 7 and 11 cups.

I use a lot of these cheeses in my breads and it takes forever to grate 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the stuff.   I use the microplane if I only need a little but for recipes, I use the machine.

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 8.50.21 PM.png

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, andiesenji said:

For grating hard cheeses I use the Cuisinart - I have the DLC-XP 20 cup and it came with this fine shredding disc which makes quick work of parm, romano, asiago, etc.

I use a lot of these cheeses in my breads and it takes forever to grate 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the stuff.   I use the microplane if I only need a little but for recipes, I use the machine.

Thanks!  I thought I had all the Cuisinart discs available.  I don't have this one.  Googling around a bit I can also get a replacement stem to replace my broken one!

Some people say though that the Fine Grater Disc does not give quite as good result with parmesan as grating by hand.  However tonight I grated a lot by hand and am recovering now with an Autumn in Jersey before returning to dinner preparation.

Wish Cuisinart offered replacement pressure cooker parts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Wish Cuisinart offered replacement pressure cooker parts.

What parts are you looking for?  I'd be happy to ask at the store that orders my Cuisinart replacement parts if they can get what you need, or at least find out if they can be ordered.

9 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Wow!  Thanks for all that information!  I thought I had the full set of blades too but when I looked through them I discovered that this one was not included.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ElsieD said:

One eGer enabling another!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

It's what we do best!

I'm afraid that I have "enabled" a lot of people into "acquiring" things that I wrote about and posted photos.  Probably 10 years ago I posted a lot about my collection of vintage waffle irons and toasters and that seemed to incite a flurry of  hunting for and purchasing those OLD appliances that actually work better than the modern ones.  I still have never found a waffle iron to equal my Sunbeam W-2 and CG-1 irons.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

What parts are you looking for?  I'd be happy to ask at the store that orders my Cuisinart replacement parts if they can get what you need, or at least find out if they can be ordered.

Thanks.  I need a replacement gasket for my Cuisinart C86-24.  Please don't go to much trouble looking.  Since I now have a Fissler obtaining a replacement gasket for the Cuisinart is less important.  But before I bought the Fissler I searched long and hard to find a replacement gasket.

In googling around just now people on amazon are saying a Kuhn Rikon gasket fits Cuisinart.  However the price of the Kuhn Rikon gasket is close to what I paid for the whole pressure cooker back in 1986.

Makes me wonder though if Kuhn Rikon was the O.E.M. for Cuisinart.

Back to cheese graters...I ordered a replacement stem for my Cuisinart DLC-7.  It is not exactly the same part number as the original stem but amazon says it fits the DLC-7.  If the replacement stem works I plan to order a fine grating disc.

On 2017-10-30 at 3:51 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks.  I need a replacement gasket for my Cuisinart C86-24.  Please don't go to much trouble looking.  Since I now have a Fissler obtaining a replacement gasket for the Cuisinart is less important.  But before I bought the Fissler I searched long and hard to find a replacement gasket.

In googling around just now people on amazon are saying a Kuhn Rikon gasket fits Cuisinart.  However the price of the Kuhn Rikon gasket is close to what I paid for the whole pressure cooker back in 1986.

Makes me wonder though if Kuhn Rikon was the O.E.M. for Cuisinart.

Back to cheese graters...I ordered a replacement stem for my Cuisinart DLC-7.  It is not exactly the same part number as the original stem but amazon says it fits the DLC-7.  If the replacement stem works I plan to order a fine grating disc.

I've made a note and the next time I'm there, i'll ask them.

I'm wondering if that Cuisinart Fine Grating disc would produce a grind that is too fine.  good for some applications  but  I need something more substantial, maybe the fine shredding disc is what I'm looking for.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lindag said:

I'm wondering if that Cuisinart Fine Grating disc would produce a grind that is too fine.  good for some applications  but  I need something more substantial, maybe the fine shredding disc is what I'm looking for.

For macaroni & cheese I'm pretty sure you want shredded cheese rather than grated.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lindag said:

The fine grating disc is only for very hard cheeses.  I use the large shredding disc for cheddar, colby, jack and I cut it to the size that fits the tube and then put it in the freezer for 30 to 50 minutes.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For macaroni & cheese I'm pretty sure you want shredded cheese rather than grated.

Actually, what I meant was  to use it for parm and the like.  I have discs that I could use for softer cheese.

I could tolerate using the FP once in a blue moon  for grating parmesan but don't want to on a regular basis.

Waiting to see what the Salad Shooter will do with all types of cheese...it's due in the post today; I'll let you know how well it works when I get a chance to  put it through its paces.

I have very high hopes.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

@lindag 

looking forward to your report.

for a ' large dish ' Ill use my Cuicinart 11 + prep

I have the extra blades mentioned

for 1 -2 servings of ' Ragu '  I use Tj's Parmesan-ish

I ised to use a hand grater  w a MicroPlane cutting surface

now I use a thin knife and slice   then slice again into matchstix then turn the pile and slice into small dice.

I start w cold cheese and let it get to room temp so that the dice warm up on tp of the ragu

Ive grown to like the texture of the final result more than grated.

but I agree  at some point of one life's  hand grating loose its appeal.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got the opportunity to use my new Salad Shooter when I needed a good amount of grated cheddar for my tuna casserole recipe.  I'm so please with the results!  So easy to do without straining my hands at all.

And, a bonus is that it's super easy to clean....the cone comes out along with the housing and both go into the d/w.  Unlike my big food processor parts, these take up only a small corner of the top rack.

Next I want to try some chopped and sliced vegs.  Maybe today or later this week.

I'm glad to have a small appliance that I know I'll use.

I also want to grate up some parm with it, that will be a good test.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, lindag said:

I finally got the opportunity to use my new Salad Shooter when I needed a good amount of grated cheddar for my tuna casserole recipe.  I'm so please with the results!  So easy to do without straining my hands at all.

And, a bonus is that it's super easy to clean....the cone comes out along with the housing and both go into the d/w.  Unlike my big food processor parts, these take up only a small corner of the top rack.

Next I want to try some chopped and sliced vegs.  Maybe today or later this week.

Judging by your post and the Amazon shot in your link, Salad Shooters have come a long way!  I have my mother's old one - something she wanted one year, and enjoyed having for a while.  I took it with me when we were clearing out the apartment, thinking that it might take the place of a smallish food processor for our trailer. I still have it, but it's so slow and noisy that I sprang for the food processor instead.  It must be at least 16 years old.  I'm glad to see the SS has improved since then.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, lindag said:

So hubby says, "I haven't a clue what to get you for Christmas this year".  What, he hasn't heard of Amazon's wish list?  Where he might find the Salad Shooter?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

So hubby says, "I haven't a clue what to get you for Christmas this year".  What, he hasn't heard of Amazon's wish list?  Where he might find the Salad Shooter?

ElsieD, don't you have ads tracking you across the internet?  That's how my husband and I 'hint' to each other. xD

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 11/23/2017 at 11:51 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night I ordered the fine grating disc that @andiesenji mentioned.

Today I was watching an Ina Garten episode where she's doing appetizers.  She ground up her Parm in her Cuisinart food processor just using her main chopping blade and it came out perfectly!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lindag said:

Today I was watching an Ina Garten episode where she's doing appetizers.  She ground up her Parm in her Cuisinart food processor just using her main chopping blade and it came out perfectly!

I know I have thrown mine into the Thermomix which is really a food processor on steroids and it certainly grinds it up but perfect? I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re going to melt it anyway…

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog