• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Box and Other Hand-held Graters

Paul Bacino

America's Test Kitchen recently chose the Rosle Paddle Style Grater as the best box grater - despite the fact that it isn't really a box grater.

I too prefer the flat or paddle style grater over a box grater. It is easily held at an angle over a plate, laid across a bowl, or held over a place to grate a finishing sprinkle of cheese over. Easier to wash, too.

Cuisipro is the best:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-6-Sided-Grater-Bonus-Ginger/dp/B0018BGKTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370979680&sr=8-1&keywords=cuisipro+box+grater

I have an older model that has hard plastic between the various faces: this can crack is you bang the thing on your sink side to clear the inner shaft. this one is newer and might be all metal.

then there is the Oxo:

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Box-Grater/dp/B0014W8WDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370979793&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+box+grater

click on either and see more types even cheaper.

good price at BB&B:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13588953

take your 20% off coupon and save more!

America's Test Kitchen recently chose the Rosle Paddle Style Grater as the best box grater - despite the fact that it isn't really a box grater.

I too prefer the flat or paddle style grater over a box grater. It is easily held at an angle over a plate, laid across a bowl, or held over a place to grate a finishing sprinkle of cheese over. Easier to wash, too.

That one does look mighty nifty. Although kinda pricey.

Still....looks mighty nifty.

ETA - okay, so I ordered it.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It appears that Oxo has redesigned the two-fold grater, the original design was nothing but pure garbage.

It worked fine at first, but quickly cracked (the plastic sides along the edge of the grater) and fell apart. It appears that they've eliminated the plastic sides.

I may give Oxo another chance although about 3 or 4 of their products that I've purchased have been nothing but junk!!!

The grater comes apart for easy cleaning, one of the things I don't like about box graters.

The new design is also bi-directional!!! That's a great idea, if it works well!!!!!

New design....

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Two-Fold-Grater/dp/B004VLYQHM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_2

Original Design....

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Multi-Grater/dp/B00004OCKU/ref=pd_sbs_k_4

~Martin

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

My grater has given up the ghost after a frozen bread grating experiment. I've narrowed my selection down to two:

The rosle medium grater and the microplane elite

They are both one single plane (not a box) which is what I like for grating over food/bowls. They are both coarse. The biggest differences are

Microplane: etched stainless steel, smaller, cheaper

Rosle: Stamped stainless stell, larger, more expensive

I like the large size, and stamped stainless generally handles potatoes better on the Rosle. The microplane is much cheaper though, I could get both a coarse grater and an additional one for the same price as the Rosle.

So my question to those who've tried microplane's plane graters, the larger surface area ones, not the small rasp graters. How are they? Do they grate well and comfortably? Does the grating surface bend under a potato or other root vegetables?

Are these new larger graters the way microplane is heading, they seem to do the job of the skinny rasp grater but more comfortably

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

That one does look mighty nifty. Although kinda pricey.

Still....looks mighty nifty.

ETA - okay, so I ordered it.

Thanks for the info!

And so now I've got it, and have used it. As you pointed out, IndyRob, not a box grater - a paddle grater, with a nice handle and nifty little legs. It's very handy, easy to use by either holding it at an angle over the plate, or resting it on a small plate, or over a bowl. It's sharp and works great.

Thanks for posting about it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Another vote for Cuisipro. I, too, have had the plastic housing on the Microplane break. It still works, but there is a lot of flex and the blades are quite sharp. The plastic bottom of my Cuisipro (from Sur la Table) is also a ginger grater.

there are some Cuisipro graters that are all metal:

Cuisi Grate.jpg

I have the entire set of these. but Ive had then for maybe 10 years.

those eG's from the North , eh , might know more about these.

Since we've veered a bit, I'll share what I use instead of a box grater:

Mouli grater.jpg

I use that old Mouli rotary grater a lot - I think it's time to pick up a back-up from ebay.

And like some other posters I use the Microplane paddle graters and prefer the all metal versions like the one pictured.

Boy, I've got to stop reading this thread.

This makes three graters I've bought in the last few days.

Somebody stop me.

just starting out are you? wont tell you how many I have. and those would be just the ones I use. :biggrin:

Sadly, no. Not just starting out. I've used the traditional box graters for several decades and have several sizes. Use a Cuisinart for big jobs. Have several old-fashioned plane graters, you know, like the rusted ones yo' grandma has in her junk drawer. Did the Tupperware over-the-bowl thing. Got that little hand-held Mouli cheese grater, but it's so hard for these old hands to crank when it's got Parmesan in it.

So nothing has been perfect, and now that I'm old, and arthritis is setting in, keep thinking there must be a better way. I'm trying to eat more salads and fresh veggies, but all that chopping and slicing can be, not only time-consuming, but painful. Several recipes that I always loved, I find myself not making so much anymore, because of the work. That sliced onion and cucumber salad (speaking of yo' grandma), French onion soup, my baked onion & potato casserole that I was always required to take to family potlucks...

Dragging out the big Cuisinart seems like so much trouble. Bending, stooping, lifting to get it out, finding the proper wheels and blades, cleaning the whole thing, bending, stooping, lifting to put it back...

I don't know. I'm pretty sure I probably don't need every single grater anyone posts about on this thread.

But hey, you never know. Maybe one of them will be just perfect!

And besides, got three married kids, and six grandkids, and whatever I don't like, I can just give to one of them.

So it won't go to waste.

Still...

Somebody stop me!

:unsure:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Yes! It grates anything for you and you put the parts in the dishwasher

I always thought the salad shooter was one of those tv things which were of no consequence. Apparently not. I will get one. My hands don't work well anymore and cutting and chopping can mean much pain later. Just one of the possible joys of getting old. DH is always more than willing to do this job for me, but he's often not there when I feel like making something. This might solve all our problems. Thanks for the help.

Anyone else have thoughts on this appliance?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well, if we're going to go outside the box (as it were), I kind of like rotary graters. The little one I got as a gift is nice for grating a bit of parm on some pasta. I also have a larger one that does a medium grate. I wouldn't mind having a Rambo-sized one for bigger jobs if such a thing exists. They're also dishwasher safe (which, really, I think all of the options mentioned so far should be).

Well, if we're going to go outside the box (as it were), I kind of like rotary graters. The little one I got as a gift is nice for grating a bit of parm on some pasta. I also have a larger one that does a medium grate. I wouldn't mind having a Rambo-sized one for bigger jobs if such a thing exists. They're also dishwasher safe (which, really, I think all of the options mentioned so far should be).

I like them, too. But, as I said above, they can be kind of difficult to turn with a hard cheese, like parm. It does take some strength in your hands.

Which I'm having less and less of these days.

I'm sorry I pulled this topic off center, but I am going to look on Amazon.ca (Canada) and see if I can find one to buy. Thanks for all the help.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm sorry I pulled this topic off center, but I am going to look on Amazon.ca (Canada) and see if I can find one to buy. Thanks for all the help.

Check the thrift stores first. I see a lot of them there.