• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Box and Other Hand-held Graters

Paul Bacino

I'm sorry I pulled this topic off center, but I am going to look on Amazon.ca (Canada) and see if I can find one to buy. Thanks for all the help.

Check the thrift stores first. I see a lot of them there.

Thanks, Kerry, but as noted before, there appears to be quite a difference between thrift stores in your area and in mine. I've never seen a Salad Shooter in any of our thrift stores...not to say that one hasn't turned up... Your area thrift stores remind me of the ones we have frequented in Utah. I might just buy one online.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 10 months later...

I am considering purchasing this grater: Rosle Medium Grater

Does anyone have any experience with it?  How well do you like it?  Some have complained that it's not particularly sharp, others have said that it doesn't do well with soft cheese.  Any comments on those points?

... Shel

• 5 years later...

Procrastinating from preparing dinner, I spent a couple pleasant hours reading about box graters and ordered the Cuisipro 6-sided that @rotuts talked about above.  Or at least I think it's the same model.

Interestingly the amazon price of the Cuisipro has gone down twice since the moment I hit the order button.  When the Cuisipro comes I'll have to find a place to put it.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tonight I tested the Cuisipro for parmesan and for lemon zest.  It did well with both.  It is a frightening device to behold.  Reminds me of a falling knife.  My old Swedish box grater does as well with parmesan but it takes much longer and is difficult to clean.  The Swedish grater is useless for lemon zest.  I have a German zester that does well but again the Cuisipro is faster.  The zests produced by each are a bit different but both work.  The German zester produces zest that is more like small flecks.

I still have all my fingers.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou