• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

23 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Next up I'm going to try McConnell's Turkish Coffee.

McConnell's make my favorite ice creams.  At the little bodega down the block, they're $11/pint. Expensive? Sure. Worth it? Absolutely.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 7/14/2024 at 2:49 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Next up I'm going to try McConnell's Turkish Coffee. Has anyone compared the two? Of course that will cost about  4 x as much.

I popped into Whole Foods this morning in hopes of snagging some of the McConnell's Turkish Coffee but alas, all they had was their regular coffee ice cream.  I bought a pint but haven't tried it.  Of course, my TJ's coffee bean blast is no gone so I’ll have to make another trip there. 

I checked the menu at the McConnell's scoop shop in Ventura and they don't list the Turkish coffee either but have a "limited release" Brazilian coffee ice cream listed. They also have a 4 new flavors made with See's chocolate candies: McConnell’s and See’s Are a Match Made in Sweet Tooth Heaven that are on offer for the month of July so maybe I should get over there.  

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

Ive been getting Campari tomatoes from Tj's for quyaite a while .

mother onion , based on my degree of shopping is MarketBasket , bu choice.

Tj's were a bir better , so  Tj's

they change in several cycles out of synch w real weather  

no matter :  I avoid any yellowfins color . and indeed , that can clear up in the nest week.

however , the best , of really very good dependable tomatoes , comes when the tomatoes themselves

are larger . like in the last 10 days or so.    and Im sure each Tj's gets its Campari's  on its own

unique schedule   but these :

IMG_4315.thumb.jpeg.7f2dfce79f955ef0fa36e22548dd4bcc.jpeg

do very weak kept for 4 6 days.  I usual always keep the tomatoes for 2 - 3 days 

but longer when they all get to this size , really adds an aroma boots.   the sliced tomatoes you see

are similar sized , and kept 5 - 6 days .  they actually have tomato aroma.

so if you follow the Campari Seasons  ( they have many ) at your Local 

if you see larger ones , keep them a few days longe 

and yeas buy 4 packs instead of the usual 2 .  etc

enjoy

• Like 2

On 7/5/2024 at 8:38 AM, rotuts said:

went to my Local this AM

they are changing out all their refrigerated units to new ones.

but noticed this ;

IMG_4255.thumb.jpeg.978c115b9c8847881d69724f689ab61b.jpeg

IMG_4256.thumb.jpeg.4d592cee9e11b82a2a35585468a1e225.jpeg

IMG_4258.thumb.jpeg.4a4dcffe4775cc1b3702b173f0174f72.jpeg

its interesting.  took forever to figure out how to open it.  there is a little plastic tap you pull off at the top'side

its thick , a little sweet , and tart     w a deep flavor.

quite some time ago I had one small bottle of Balsamic , the real stuff , in the square frosted bottle.

used a few drops at a tie  etc

this is not that.  I was thinking what I might use this for .  Steamed new bliss potatoes came to mind

for some reason .   the humidity here is 98 %   so won't be trying that anytime soon

then I thought about a thin glaze on Salmon , grilled or broiled 

pleased I got this .  worth a try .

for something .

Been using this for a while. It’s not a true aged balsamic at all, but it’s a simple, easy way to brighten up some veggies with dinner. 

• Like 1

I'm weeping in my beer. The supplier of TJ's "Home made tortillas" are no longer making them. They've been a staple for us for years. Compared to any other store bought flour tortillas they were great. The ones now being stocked are more of the cardboard variety. When my husband asked about it a couple of store workers agreed it was very disappointing. I need a replacement in the bay area, Or we will have to start making our own.

• Sad 3

15 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I'm weeping in my beer. The supplier of TJ's "Home made tortillas" are no longer making them. They've been a staple for us for years. Compared to any other store bought flour tortillas they were great. The ones now being stocked are more of the cardboard variety. When my husband asked about it a couple of store workers agreed it was very disappointing. I need a replacement in the bay area, Or we will have to start making our own.

You can order these that are made in KC and stock your freezer. They are quite good.

Deb

Liberty, MO

I saw this recipe for a tall, cool drink: Trader Joe’s Lemon Gin Refresher and gave it a try:

009F79C2-AEE0-4F76-B6FD-FF5B7C53C553_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.09f90d481844ff00e312c3d292bfc3b9.jpeg

Refreshing and not too sweet, depending on your choice of limoncello.   I used my homemade stuff instead of purchasing the TJ's offering. 

On 7/14/2024 at 2:44 PM, Katie Meadow said:

My husband just came back from TJs with a quart of Coffee Bean Blast ice cream. It's good! Not too eggy or custardy. A little bit more intense coffee flavor than HD, which is what I'm used to. A quart, not a pint, for $4.99. A lot of artisan (or not) pints are approaching $10 around here. Next up I'm going to try McConnell's Turkish Coffee. Has anyone compared the two? Of course that will cost about  4 x as much.

Reporting here that I tried the McConnell's coffee ice cream I bought at Whole Foods.  As mentioned above, it was just labeled coffee rather than Turkish coffee.  It had a lot of fine coffee bean grit which ruined the mouthfeel for me although the coffee flavor is quite nice. I think I could tolerate a few bigger bean chunks over this much fine grit.  

I was going to go to their scoop shop last week to try the Brazilian coffee (my fish share pick-up is on the way) but the traffic was atrocious so I skipped it. Warm fish and melty ice cream are not a fine combo. Maybe next week.  

• Like 2