• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Made one of my favourite fall recipes, Apple Cheddar Muffins. I doubled the recipe and got 21 muffins (because I cracked one of my Pampered Chef stoneware muffin pans, so I have a 12 and a 9. This leaves enough batter to make a mini loaf for my 86 year old neighbour who loves to have something a bit sweet to eat with his tea in the afternoon. 

Ap Muff1.jpg

am2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

6 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

Another bake from Snacking Cakes by Yossy Arefi. This time it's the Salty Caramel Peanut Butter Cake...

PeanutButterCake.thumb.png.3598b472d88228e8dd1a43a39b0e4cd6.png

I didn't think much to this one. The cake itself was ok, if a little dry, but the fudgy caramel icing was not at all to my liking. I'll scrape it off and bin it, and we will never speak of it again.

If you haven't already, try the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake.  It's very good.  You can find comments from her book and other small batch recipes in the Small Batch Baking Topic.

2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Made one of my favourite fall recipes, Apple Cheddar Muffins. I doubled the recipe and got 21 muffins (because I cracked one of my Pampered Chef stoneware muffin pans, so I have a 12 and a 9. This leaves enough batter to make a mini loaf for my 86 year old neighbour who loves to have something a bit sweet to eat with his tea in the afternoon. 

Oh would I love this recipe.  Please.  Or where to find it.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

37 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Oh would I love this recipe.  Please.  Or where to find it.  

I'll post in the recipes section. I have no idea where it originally came from 25 years ago, I have modified a bit over the years. I copied and pasted from a recipe book that I made for my daughters hence the explanations that may seem simplistic.

• Thanks 2

On 8/11/2023 at 9:00 PM, RobertM said:

This is a Philly Fluff cake, it’s a riff on a Pound Cake and everyone declared it really good….super easy to put together as well.  A simple powdered sugar topping and you’re ready to impress 

IMG_1758.thumb.jpeg.7a9ff482dfa5ccdbc667c6898f3c79ca.jpeg

sorry I’m late to the party, someone asked for the formula I used….

Philly Fluff Cake
1 Tbsp plus 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, room temp
1 Tbsp, plus 2 cups (250g) bleached all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups (450 g) granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp Diamond Crystal OR 1 1/4 tsp Morton Kosher salt
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
6 large eggs, room temp
2 tsp vanilla extract OR vanilla bean paste
1/4 cup (28 g) powdered sugar

Special Equipment:
a 9" or 10" diameter tube pan

Step 1:  Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.  Grease pan with 1 Tbsp vegetable shortening, room temp, then coat with 1 Tbsp all purpose flour, tapping out any excess.  Whisk together 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, and 2 tsp salt, and remaining 2 cups all purpose flour in a large bowl.
Step 2:  Beat 8 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, and remaining 1/2 cup vegetable shortening in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 - 3 minutes.  Add dry ingredients and mix on low speed, scraping sides of bowl as needed, until flour is coated in fat, 30-60 seconds.  Increase speed to medium and beat until mixture resembles a smooth paste, 2-3 minutes

Step 3:  With mixer on medium-low speed, add 6 large eggs, room temp, one at a time, waiting after each addition until incorporated before adding the next, and beat, scraping down bowl as needed, until smooth, 1-2 minutes total.  Add 2 tsp vanilla and beat until incorporated and batter is smooth, about 1 minute.  Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread into an even layer with an offset spatula.
Step 4:  Bake cake until golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 55-65 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and let cake cool in pan 15 minutes.  Invert cake onto rack and let cool completely.
Step 5:  To server, place cake right side up on a platter and, using a fine mesh sieve, dust 1/4 cup powdered sugar over cake to create a thick layer.
Do Ahead:  Cake can be baked 5-days ahead.  Store lightly wrapped at room temperature.  Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.

You can Thank me later

• Thanks 2

Ok, I recently spent a week at home while the family was in Florida. I had said I was going to do a baking project, but until the last few days, I had no idea what. Then I recalled an episode from season 5 of the Great British Baking show. The technical challenge was Mary’s Tiramisu cake. Duly inspired, I said out to adapt the idea. I thought then if the various desserts we usually made, and I settled on a dish known as “Better than Robert Redford” (also called better than sex, but…kids in the house, and all). We also called it Better than Jim Taylor (my dad). I present to you, my Better than Robert Redford Cake.  

we have two layers of vanilla buttermilk cake, two layers of chocolate pastry cream, two layers of cream cheese filling, and one layer of shortbread. The frosting is stabilized whip cream, and chocolate shavings.

IMG_0972.jpeg

IMG_0973.jpeg

IMG_0974.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

18 minutes ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Ok, I recently spent a week at home while the family was in Florida. I had said I was going to do a baking project, but until the last few days, I had no idea what. Then I recalled an episode from season 5 of the Great British Baking show. The technical challenge was Mary’s Tiramisu cake. Duly inspired, I said out to adapt the idea. I thought then if the various desserts we usually made, and I settled on a dish known as “Better than Robert Redford” (also called better than sex, but…kids in the house, and all). We also called it Better than Jim Taylor (my dad). I present to you, my Better than Robert Redford Cake.  

we have two layers of vanilla buttermilk cake, two layers of chocolate pastry cream, two layers of cream cheese filling, and one layer of shortbread. The frosting is stabilized whip cream, and chocolate shavings.

IMG_0972.jpeg

IMG_0973.jpeg

IMG_0974.jpeg

Is that from Insanelygoodrecipes? Its in my file to be made, just waiting for an opportunity to make it - maybe a pot luck or church event.

Edited by oli (log)

1 hour ago, oli said:

Is that from Insanelygoodrecipes? Its in my file to be made, just waiting for an opportunity to make it - maybe a pot luck or church event.

Well, this particular recipe is my own work (and I really don’t think it’s done yet.) but for just better than Robert Redford, we usually use something like this. 

https://www.cooks.com/recipe/f280j2b8/better-than-robert-redford-cake.html

13 hours ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Well, this particular recipe is my own work (and I really don’t think it’s done yet.) but for just better than Robert Redford, we usually use something like this. 

https://www.cooks.com/recipe/f280j2b8/better-than-robert-redford-cake.html

This is the recipe I have: https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/robert-redford-dessert

Edited by oli (log)

42 minutes ago, oli said:

This is the recipe I have is this one: https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/robert-redford-dessert

Yeah, we’ve never used the vanilla pudding layer, but that looks identical to how we always served it. I just noticed that the recipe I linked also used the name “Better than Robert Redford cake.” I’ll need to come up with a better name for my recipe. 

14 minutes ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Yeah, we’ve never used the vanilla pudding layer, but that looks identical to how we always served it. I just noticed that the recipe I linked also used the name “Better than Robert Redford cake.” I’ll need to come up with a better name for my recipe. 

It would be neat if someone who bakes quite frequently would do a comparison.

• Thanks 1

As the season transitions to Autumn, I made a couple crumbles this week.

The first one used up the last dozen or so figs from my tree...

FigCrumble.thumb.png.7fdce20a0700000fa2fc979402ca0a4e.png

The second was apple. I've no idea which variety my trees are, but they were great for eating out-of-hand, and also cooked down nicely...

AppleCrumble.thumb.png.0cbee2fc9e0bddd0909f3f4412650812.png

The figs might be finished for another year, but their leaves made another delicious batch of toasted fig leaf ice cream to go with the crumble. I've only recently started making ice cream since picking up a machine for twenty bucks in Lidl, and this week I used a commercial stabiliser for the first time. The results were a bit of a revelation: it really improves the texture and mouthfeel.

I was less enamoured of this Apple and Caraway Loaf Cake...

AppleandCarawayLoafCake.thumb.png.42831fca85e16feb73fb13b734004e38.png

The texture wasn't great. Maybe I should've grated the apple more finely. But the distinct lack of apple-y-ness was the most disappointing aspect.

It did, however, remind me that caraway seeds are put to much better use in a traditional English seed cake. I've not made one of those in a while, so that's going on the to-do list.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@RobertM – thanks for posting the cake recipe.  I’m looking forward to trying it.

Someone on Mr. Kim’s staff had a birthday last week and I made Michael Ruhlman’s angel food cake for him to take in.  I didn’t remember to get a picture before he took it, but he sent me these:

20230919_150600.jpg.7be9192ad44d03f3fe2521be7aed8378.jpg

Served with some berries and squirty cream:

20230919_143716.jpg.b8839f7a358e3c4f1cdd4772996fd116.jpg

This is my favorite angel food cake recipe.  It uses 10 egg whites, so I’m required to make TWO batches of lemon curd afterwards 😉. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@RobertM – thanks for posting the cake recipe.  I’m looking forward to trying it.

Someone on Mr. Kim’s staff had a birthday last week and I made Michael Ruhlman’s angel food cake for him to take in.  I didn’t remember to get a picture before he took it, but he sent me these:

20230919_150600.jpg.7be9192ad44d03f3fe2521be7aed8378.jpg

Served with some berries and squirty cream:

20230919_143716.jpg.b8839f7a358e3c4f1cdd4772996fd116.jpg

This is my favorite angel food cake recipe.  It uses 10 egg whites, so I’m required to make TWO batches of lemon curd afterwards 😉. 

That looks great - II'll have a look at that recipe. I've always made angel food from scratch (cuz my Mom did) and don't find it difficult to make with a stand mixer. Years ago we had short notice for unexpected company so I bought a store-bought angel food cake to serve with fresh local strawberries and whipped cream. One of my daughters, about 10 years old at the time said to me after dessert "Mom, what did you do to the angel food cake - it tasted gross!'

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

That looks great - II'll have a look at that recipe. I've always made angel food from scratch (cuz my Mom did) and don't find it difficult to make with a stand mixer. Years ago we had short notice for unexpected company so I bought a store-bought angel food cake to serve with fresh local strawberries and whipped cream. One of my daughters, about 10 years old at the time said to me after dessert "Mom, what did you do to the angel food cake - it tasted gross!'

So funny.  Back when Mr. Kim's sister was getting married (almost 40 years ago), I put together a little family and friends cookbook pamphlet to give her.  I sent a little note out requesting special recipes - especially ones that they knew she liked.  Mr. Kim's grandmother was decidedly NOT a cook, but she made the family's favorite dessert - angel food cake with a caramel sauce.  It was an absolute legend in the family and most of them requested it for their birthday cakes.  She didn't respond to the initial request and so I called her directly and asked her.  She was a little evasive, but I thought she was just busy and would send it later.  I never received it and mentioned that it must be one of those "secret recipes" to their stepmom who laughed and told me that the reason it was a "secret recipe"was because she used a Duncan Hines angel food cake mix and melted Kraft caramels for the sauce.  LOL

• Haha 8

13 minutes ago, RWood said:

Birthday cake for my cousin. She requested coconut. Gum paste poppies I had made awhile back.

IMG_4461.jpeg

IMG_4462.jpeg

You should frame image and gift it to cuz. You have an eye. I only attemted sugar art once (except for the spun sugar cage thing)in my early 20's It was quite beautiful but no cellphone easy images then Roses for mom on Mday I think. . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@RWood 

your cakes are always quite stunning.

Im not sure what gum pastes poppies are.

are they the items in the paternities on the side of the cake ?

or , the poppy on the top ?

if the top ?  its edible ? and hand crafted ?

Thanks!

The poppies are the flowers on top that are made out of gum paste, which is a sugar paste that can be rolled very thin. It will dry hard, so it can be shaped and dried to make flowers plus other things. I made these a few years ago, and they have held up well, surprisingly. Even survived going cross country and Georgia humidity. 

While the paste is edible, I wouldn't eat it. You would have to dodge floral wire and thread in the stamens. Probably wouldn't taste that great anyway. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Blueberry lemon scones

rrCyB8m.jpg

Those look delicious.  When wild blueberries were available I made a couple of different muffin and scone recipes.  I wasn't happy with any of them.  Is your scone recipe shareable?

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed typo (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Those look delicious.  When wild blueberries were available I made a couple of different muffin and scanned recipes.  I wasn't happy with any of them.  Is your scone recipe shareable?

Absolutely.  Glad to share anything.  Not home at my PC now but will post a screen shot of it later.

• Thanks 1

kqzuH0h.png

Big key is to not really make it come together.  There is still a ton of loose bits when I dump it on the counter.  Just like biscuits, pie crust you barely want it to come together.  Reading my recipe shaggy is not a strong enough description.  Unmixed but almost together would be.  Just like biscuits it's those folds that make a difference.  I trifold in each of the folding steps to get more layers.  Keep the fat cold!  If my recipe isn't descriptive enough, I'd be glad to answer questions.

• Like 1