• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Thank you all!  It was a lot of work, but fun.  A wonderful stress relief from all the family stuff that I've got going on.  I did some of it ahead of time - I hardly do anything that I can't freeze.  We made $400 on Saturday and then sold more after church on Sunday.  We don't put prices on - just rely on donations.  We find that people are more generous than we would be in pricing.  One man took a mini pumpkin loaf and one of those coffee cakes and gave me $40!!  

• Like 6

Round two on Thor's hammer. I was gonna try a different set up than last time, but a) this thing weighed a ton and b), I was worn out from working all day then making this at night. So, Ace got the same as a couple of years ago. He was happy though. 

EA877D35-4853-4B0C-A5F0-F5C67A27DE47.jpeg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, RWood said:

Round two on Thor's hammer. I was gonna try a different set up than last time, but a) this thing weighed a ton and b), I was worn out from working all day then making this at night. So, Ace got the same as a couple of years ago. He was happy though. 

EA877D35-4853-4B0C-A5F0-F5C67A27DE47.jpeg

Oh, yeah, sure. But can you make an angel food cake, huh? Can ya? And in a Pullman pan? Huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...but how do you deliver a Mjölnir cake, when only Thor can raise it? :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Quite, quite beautiful. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

56EA1B38-6796-4C9F-B3D4-0278D5C5CFCF.thumb.jpeg.2c34b44b74665098859470bc4743b8cd.jpeg

Cinnamon rolls for my granddaughter ready to go into the oven at her house. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Here they are baked:

5DE06F7C-FABC-4157-93C1-2F833C9F5BDA.thumb.jpeg.a0ac87b6fb29cd868fc54008b9a9f51d.jpeg

Just out of the oven. 

41435E79-66C1-45AD-B231-8C7C98B5C921.thumb.jpeg.b4750576a96518fc792c3245405cefa6.jpeg

Just out of the pan. 

Apparently they went over well with an 18-year-old heading off to work on a Sunday morning. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

On 10/23/2017 at 10:18 AM, blbst36 said:

I made pound cake for the first time.  And from a recipe older than me!  It was good, but short.  My pans are slightly bigger than called for, so I was expecting it.  If I make them in the same pans, I would probably adjust the cooking time to about 10 mins less.  The outer edges of the loaves were a little dry.  I don't have pictures at the moment, but I can add them later.

Also, I need to loo for a tutorial on how to line a loaf pan with parchment paper :P

I FINALLY downloaded the pictures.  I want to make them again, but I also want to make other things after watching the Great British Baking Show!!  Also, is parchment necessary?  Can't I just butter and flour the loaf pans??

Both loaves

20171022_181734.thumb.jpg.ab5865b7a5271598c7a6339be19c2f28.jpg

Close up of the one on the left and my terrible parchment skills.

20171022_181747.thumb.jpg.02535ae4c8f8484386717f13972bce5b.jpg

• Like 5

Good job on the pound cakes. I never line cake pans with parchment. I will sometimes line with foil, depending on what I'm baking, but foil can be molded to the exact shape of the pan so you don't get all those lumps and bumps. And I always grease the foil. I use parchment only for lining flat pans, like cookie sheets. But here's a tutorial on lining pans with parchment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRJ2r3Em5aw It's those corners that create all the problems. 

1 hour ago, blbst36 said:

I FINALLY downloaded the pictures.  I want to make them again, but I also want to make other things after watching the Great British Baking Show!!  Also, is parchment necessary?  Can't I just butter and flour the loaf pans??

Both loaves

20171022_181734.thumb.jpg.ab5865b7a5271598c7a6339be19c2f28.jpg

Close up of the one on the left and my terrible parchment skills.

20171022_181747.thumb.jpg.02535ae4c8f8484386717f13972bce5b.jpg

I would just cut a piece to fit the bottom of your pan.  I never lined loaf pans at all, but a chef I worked with insisted on it (because his mama did it) and it did make a difference. 

I just cut two pieces of parchment now for a loaf pan — one that fits the long dimension and one which fits the short dimension. 

Like so.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I only line tins that might overflow - that way I can put a collar on them.

For loaf tins, I just generously butter and coat in flour.  Even for really wet batters like pain d'épices, it never sticks.

The kitchen gods favour some of us. The others of us not so much. xD  I belong to the latter group. 

I might change my ways going forward.  I changed all my loaf pans from ones that looked as though they barely survived the Battle of Britain to ones that appear as though they might release a loaf upon command.  On the other hand I think I’ve offended the kitchen gods  far too often to take chances. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The kitchen gods favour some of us. The others of us not so much. xD  I belong to the latter group. 

I might change my ways going forward.  I changed all my loaf pans from ones that looked as though they barely survived the Battle of Britain to ones that appear as though they might release a loaf upon command.  On the other hand I think I’ve offended the kitchen gods  far too often to take chances. 

Haha, there's nothing wrong with baking equipment that has character :D

I think the key is just to use as much butter as possible.  Then a little more.

• Like 2

Okay @pjm333, I am not really a cookie fella, nor a lover of peanut butter, but those really look good! Any recipe or a link to one? And it they are really "five star" I am sure @Anna N would like the recipe as well for her "Meeting Friendly Snacks" :rolleyes: (sorry Anna for using your name without permission).

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

JohnT,

Thanks they taste great but they have a short shelf life, its a 1 day cookie.

BROWNIE COOKIES   350 DEGREES

350 GRAMS CHOCOLATE / CHOPPED FINE

40 GRAMS BUTTER

2 EGGS

2/3  CUP SUGAR / SUPERFINE

1/4 CUP A.P. FLOUR

1/4 tsp BAKING POWDER / SALT

PEANUT BUTTER FILLING

160 GRAMS 10X

280 GRAMS PEANUT BUTTER / SMOOTH

80 GRAMS BUTTER / SOFT

COOKIES - MELT 200 GRAMS CHOCOLATE & BUTTER TOGETHER. BEAT EGGS & SUGAR TOGETHER TILL THICK & PALE IN COLOR. SIFT IN FLOUR AND BAKING POWDER,SALT ADD REMAINING 150 GRAMS OF CHOPPED CHOCOLATE. ADD MELTED CHOCOLATE BUTTER AND MIX TILL COMBINED, LET SIT 10 MINUTES. SCOOP & BAKE FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES TILL TOP IS PUFFED & CRACKED AND SLIGHTLY FIRM. COOL DOWN.

FILLING - BEAT ALL INGREDIENTS TILL BLENDED. 

• Like 1