• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Circling back to a couple of regulars in my repertoire.

Tarte au Citron...

Lemon.thumb.png.756b70235bcec176c58dbdbdbe740a54.png

And gâteau Basque...

Basque1.thumb.png.536dd7bf47523653da796f98e5985c3c.png

Basque2.thumb.png.039660066ec10386b98b6399516a0ebc.png

This was a departure from my usual recipe (which itself is not exactly traditional). I met a friend of a friend who turned out to be Basque herself, and she gave me her amatxi's (grandmother's) recipe, or at least as best she could remember it. I'm not entirely sure her recollection was accurate because the cake element was more like an extra-buttery Breton sablé (cookie). But then again, her memory might be spot-on because it was absolutely delicious.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

I'm continuing experimenting with my recently gifted waffle maker. This time, Liège waffles...

Liege1.thumb.png.d6563605e4f33771f32e08012833a09d.png

Liege2.thumb.png.22fa3a216d7cdc8b780f1796eb2c86ec.png

It's a Pierre Hermé recipe, basically a brioche dough with lots of added pearl sugar. Crispy and caramelised outside, buttery and chewy inside. Rather good.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Italian purple plum tart, flaked almonds and a pâte sucrée.  A small 6” tart to use up the last of my plums, this makes 3-4 smallish slices, nice with ice cream  or a  dollop of sour cream, we happily had  sour cream with it.

IMG_7528.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

23 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

I'm continuing experimenting with my recently gifted waffle maker. This time, Liège waffles...

Liege1.thumb.png.d6563605e4f33771f32e08012833a09d.png

Liege2.thumb.png.22fa3a216d7cdc8b780f1796eb2c86ec.png

It's a Pierre Hermé recipe, basically a brioche dough with lots of added pearl sugar. Crispy and caramelised outside, buttery and chewy inside. Rather good.

Is the recipe on-line?  I have both a waffle maker and pearl sugar.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Is the recipe on-line?

Not in English, but I'm sure your browser can lend a hand. Recipe here.

Substitute a strong flour. Cassonade is brown sugar.

I modified the method slightly, weighing out 80g of the chilled dough and rolling with a pin.

Bon chance!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

being a waffle lover . . .

Liege, aka yeast+pearled sugar  . . . it is different from the usual USA baking powder recipes.

also realize,,, "Liege" waffles implies a variation specific to a region.  originated there?  who knows. 

now, baking powder vs. yeast raised is a topic of its own!

perhaps the most singular distinction is the "pearled sugar" - which is basically clumped-up nuggets of granulated white sugar.

done them both.  I like the yeast raise with sugar clumps, but DW finds them 'too soft in the middle'

so, if you like your wife/DW, you should keep your wife, and settle for other deep Belgian waffle types . . .