• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  

Dining at the House of Mouse

I am at Disney for a pre-Christmas vacation with some of my family.  I thought I'd add some photos of our dining experiences here.  We are not dining off site due to time constraints and we are not on the "Disney Dining Plan" because we stay in a house rather than on Disney property.  I did not see a thread that seemed obvious to link to but mods please merge if i am mistaken.  This is going to be out of order, based on when I have time to post.  The parks are crowded and we (my niece and nephew)  have lots of plans.  Also I am here with six others so there will be lots of pictures, but not of everything because I only take photos of things near me at the table.

Last night we ate at Todd English's BlueZoo.  I am from Boston and so have eaten at some of his other restaurants.  The menu is fish heavy which is my preference.  A couple of cocktails--on the left is a bee's knees, the right is a mescal based margarita.  

bluezoo cocktails.jpg

Tuna tartare with miso "caviar" and sriracha "snow".  My niece liked it

bluezoo tuna tartar.jpg

Flatbread,  my nephew's choice. He has an anaphylactic allergy to crustaceans, and Disney is great with allergies

bluezoo flatbread.jpg

tempura haricot verts

bluezoo harcort verts tempura.jpg

and shake and bake fries (we did not end up eating these but they are in the fridge for a snack)

bluezoo shake and bake fries.jpg

grouper with modified low country flavors (shrimp omitted)

bluezoo grouper.jpg

Miso glazed nero 

bluezoo miso nero.jpg

salad with jamon iberico

bluezoo salad with jaon iberico.jpg

A dessert for my niece and nephew to share, chocolate bread pudding with a Star Wars theme

bluezoo chcocolate banana puding.jpg

Because they told the waiter we had been at the Star Wars fireworks earlier.

fireworks people.jpg

• Like 4

The day prior we were at EPCOT and went to my nephew's favorite restaurant on Disney property: The Rose and Crown Pub in the UK pavilion.  It is one of the only places where he can eat fish and chips.  His allergy is so severe that he can't even eat potatoes that have been fried in the same oil as any crustaceans.  The menu at this place is crustacean free, so he can happily chow down on fish and chips here.

Cheese plate

rose and crown cheese plate.jpg

smoked salmon

rose and crown smoked salmon.jpg

scotch egg

rose and crown scotch egg.jpg

fish and chips and mushy peas

rose and crown fish and chips.jpg

sticky toffee pudding

rose and crown sticky toffee pudding.jpg

rose and crown trifle.jpg

• Like 6

Here are some things from the Animal Kingdom.  From Harambe Market, chicken tikka masala with black eyed pea salad and rice

akchicken tikka masala.jpg

Not great, but better than your typical burger and french fry theme park offering.  I liked the salad.  We also got a borewat sausage in curry batter with papaya salad

akboerwat sausage .jpg

Later that afternoon we stopped by Nomad Lounge for a cocktail.  This is a quiet and peaceful oasis that I don't think many people know about.  That won't last long, as it is on the walkway to Avatar Land which is scheduled to open this summer.

tiffins cocktails.jpg

That night we had dinner at Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Bread service (after it had already been attacked by my niece and nephew)

jiko bread service.jpg

Taste of Africa, with double hummus and no papaya sambal as it had shrimp paste in it.  We ordered two of these for the table and they got devoured.

jiko taste of africa.jpg 

Iguaday tibs in brik: filo parcels stuffed with mushroom and curry with curry flavors

jiko broks in tibs.jpg

Flatbread with chicken and coconut

jiko flatbread.jpg

A salad

jiko salad.jpg

Scallops with pork belly

jiko scallops with pork belly.jpg

Macaroni and cheese with truffles

jiko mac and cheese.jpg

jiko elk.jpg

Koki corn with mushrooms, avocado and greens

jiko koki corn.jpg

Malva pudding

jiko sunset dessert.jpg

Complimentary chocolate snow cookies

jiko cookies.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt extra pictures (log)
  • Like 3

Snacking around EPCOT

A bratwurst with paprika chips from the Germany pavilion

epcot bratwurst2.jpg

A cheese plate from the Prost! booth

epcotcheese plate.jpg

A chicken schwarma plate from the Morocco pavilion

A cheese toast from the France pavilion

fran echeese.jpg

Various desserts all from the France pavilion.  Bunche de Noel

Chocolate tart

francechocolate tarts.jpg

Chocolate mousse

Kir royales

A few things from that evening's Sparkling Dessert Party

• Like 5

This post covers what I always refer to as "sad food day," or in other words, food from the Magic Kingdom.  It is really hard for me to find anything to eat at the Magic Kingdom.  I usually just pack a granola bar or some nuts in my bag.  Junk food warning.  Pretzel with fake cheese sauce

Corn dog bites

Funnel cakes

Turkey sandwich on cranberry bread

Cinnamon glazed almonds

We took a break from the parks in the afternoon and headed over to the Polynesian resort for drinks at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto

trader sams.jpg

And an early dinner at the Kona Cafe. Disappointing sushi

kona cafe volcano roll.jpg

kona cafe salmon roll.jpg

kona cafe potstickers.jpg

Pork buns

kona cafe pork buns.jpg

kona cafe pan noodles.jpg

Togarashi spiced tuna

kona cafe togarashi tuna.jpg

Fruit and chocolate fondue

kona chococlate fondue.jpg

Disappointing food day but the fireworks were nice

• Like 3

We also had dinner at the Flying Fish at Disney's Boardwalk Hotel.  This was my favorite meal.

Salad with figs and jamon iberico

flyingfishfig salad.jpg

cheese plate

flyingfish cheese.jpg

Tuna with compressed watermelon

Pork belly with quail egg

flyisngfish pork belly.jpg

Scallops with grits and romanesco sauce

Grouper with baby vegetables

• Like 2

So here we are back at the Mouse House.  I asked my niece and nephew where they wanted to go for spring break, and here is where they picked.  Today is day four and my feet are already killing me.  I've been taking pictures of some of the food we have been eating. Day one we had dinner in the Magic Kingdom at the Jungle Navigation Company Skipper Canteem.  Parents everywhere will rejoice that you can now get beer and wine with your meals in the Magic Kingdom. Shockingly I stuck to iced tea.  Not sure why. Salad and falafel

Steak salad

Tastes Like Chicken

Perkins Thai noodles

everything was pretty good.  Our expectations are low in a theme park setting. It was nice to get off our feet for a while.

The next night we enjoyed a leisurely and delicious meal at the California Grill in Disney's Contemporary Resort.  Drinks

Artichoke and truffle flatbread

Pear and prosciutto flatbread

Margarita fkatbread

Caesar salad

Brown butter parsnip soup

Short rib with green mango kimchi

Filet with potato-leek galette

Cheese plate

Pear tart

After dinner you can go out on the roof deck to watch fireworks

• Like 5

That looks lovely. Hope you are enjoying your time.

Posted (edited)

Another lovely meal at Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge.  Amuse bouche--some kind of short rib thing.

Rolls with fennel butter

Taste of Africa: various breads with dipping sauces.  Last night's were mango chutney, raita with zhoug, a spicy charmoula, and hummus

Iguaday tibs in brik (filo purses stuffed with spinach and mushrooms with curried apples)

Piri piri chicken flatbread

Leek, chili, olive and goat cheese flatbread

Waygu strip loin with bootie mac and cheese

Short ribs with potato puree

Maize crusted halibut with tomato butter sauce, lentils and vegetables

Only my nephew had room for dessert.  Milktarte

Pre-dinner cocktails at the Nomad Lounge

Edited by liamsaunt add photo (log)
  • Like 6

@liamsaunt -  your beautiful photography makes every dish looks its best but this stuff looks amazing!  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this