• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Remodel starting now

Jacksoup

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My original mats were GelPro.  After a while, they curled up all along the edges and I was tripping on them.  I got in touch with them and they asked me to take some pictures and send them to them which I did.  They replaced them.  So, excellent customer service and they do stand behind their product.  Jump ahead a few years and I replaced them.  The brand I have now is Wellness.  I like them a lot better than the GelPro.  

• Like 2

Half the cabinets are in and so is the stove. Finally there's fire in the kitchen again.

Big oven. Takes a full sheet pan and could cook a small flock of chickens. Nice hot burners that simmer well too.

015.jpg

017.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Ive now got a case of serious Stove Envy 

Serious stove envy here also on two counts:  size and gas. 

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Those pilotless burners will pay for the stove pretty quickly. The old one had 8 pilots running (we shut off three that werent used); that's $50 to $80/month depending on whose estimates you use and the price of propane. They kept the kitchen warm. Pretty amazing the heating power of 8 lights. Its noticeably cooler now. Downside is I can't dry pots over a pilot anymore.

So far the Blue Star stove really impresses me. No electronics to fry. As far as I can tell the only electric is the convection fan and oven light.Very sturdy. Everything fits tightly and well. Knobs turn with a little resistance (in a good way). Seems way better built than the big name ones like Viking or Wolf.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

How do the burners light if there is no electrical starter sparker?

sparky thing is where a pilot would be.

the old Vulcan had actual pilot lights that burned eternally.

• Like 1

Stainless steel backsplash over the stove.  Hmm, won't that be a pain to clean?

My cleaning lady just uses dish soap and water to clean stainless steel.  Works great.  Wipe it off and no streaks.

Your kitchen looks fantastic.  Is that another oven in the first picture?

Is that an eating bar in the first picture, by the door?

Where are you putting the CSO?  

What kinda counter tops?

Is that another sink on the brick wall counter?

Nice, very nice.  The floors look great with the white cabinets.

Sorry for all the questions :(

@Okanagancook LOL. Yes cleaning that SS backsplash was an issue in the planning discussions (over like three years). We shall see. There will be tile on either side of it.

Yes eating bar by the door (and also out of reach of Henry who is an incorrigible counter-surfer).

Yup. An electric one for the one who bakes stuff.  But I may start with bread again now that there's a decent oven.

CSO will be lateral to DW.

Soapstone counters.

Yes, a little sink that I'm not sure is needed, but there were strong feelings about it.

Pot rack on the stone wall is coming

Its taking for-frigging-ever, but we are happy with the work that the guys are doing.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update.

My 10 year old fridge was SS and it didn't clean up well no matter what I used including fancy SS cleaner.  It must have been the type of SS because my new one cleans up very easily.  The plain dish detergent works really well as I mentioned above.

Bad Henry.  My female Kerry Blue was famous for actually jumping (from just in front of the counter) up on the outdoor kitchen counter to retrieve her ball.  Don't tell Henry.

We have a little round sink on the prep island and we find it very useful.

Can't wait to see the pot rack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

@Okanagancook That's a leap!  Thank goodness Henry doesn't know how high he can jump.

I know.  Her mom did the same thing back when she had her puppies.  We had one on the dinning room table clipping it's nails and then all of sudden there was Winnie beside us on the table!  I wouldn't leave anything edible on that eating counter if I were you....just say'n.  He's a terrier.  

Ha, that reminds me I lost a half pound of butter off the lunch table to a four month old Kerry Blue.  Gone before you could open your mouth.

What is the first thing you are going to cook in your new kitchen?

• Like 2

@Okanagancook Yup.Terriers present their own set of problems...but I love the beasts.

Henry's predecessor, the sainted Tucker, once ate a bag of uncooked rice off of the counter. Very unhappy few days for the boy. But he was cleansed by the end of it. Two weeks later a whole butternut squash. That one didn't faze him. Henry is more interested in chewing than eating which is a mixed blessing.

First thing to cook? Hmmm. That requires a lot of thought.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Okanagancook Yup.Terriers present their own set of problems...but I love the beasts.

Henry's predecessor, the sainted Tucker, once ate a bag of uncooked rice off of the counter. Very unhappy few days for the boy. But he was cleansed by the end of it. Two weeks later a whole butternut squash. That one didn't faze him. Henry is more interested in chewing than eating which is a mixed blessing.

First thing to cook? Hmmm. That requires a lot of thought.

May I suggest the last thing you cooked in your old kitchen....for comparison's sake.  Just an idea.

Ouch, swelling rice...reminds of when one overeats Indian Curry Dinner.  I remember a table full of guests writhing on the floor with over stuffed bellies.  I think we even went for a walk.   It's a silent killer.:$

• Like 2

@gfweb  your kitchen looks fabulous. Am jealous of all the room and options.  My first meal was chicken piccata, mainly because I can do it well, ( Ithink)and my son loves it, mainly for the capers.  But made risotto in the Instant Pot, per the NYT IP article, am not convinced it's better than stove top, but it was quick.  Am still getting comfortable with the placement of dishes, utensils and pantry.  The more I am in my new kitchen I will probably arrange placement of stuff to be more functional 

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

• Like 12