Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )


Darienne
 Share

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, weinoo said:

 

That spaceship is (or was) the big dog of home ice cream machines!

 

OK , cool  on the laser thermo - I have one a few of those. But my wife already thinks I'm crazy for taking the temperature of the water as I do our pour over coffees in the morning!

 

How can you make coffee without a thermometer?? Madness!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Notes from the underbelly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I've given up on ice cream as I have no self control in that area (sweets in general) but David Lebovitz's milk chocolate with Amaro this morning had me wavering. Anyone gonna try?

 

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/amaro-recipe-chip-stracciatella-milk-chocolate-chip-ice-cream/#more-46793

I clicked the link then saw the first pic. I understood instantly what you meant

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, heidih said:

I've given up on ice cream as I have no self control in that area (sweets in general) but David Lebovitz's milk chocolate with Amaro this morning had me wavering. Anyone gonna try?

 

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/amaro-recipe-chip-stracciatella-milk-chocolate-chip-ice-cream/#more-46793

If you are teetering on whether to cave in and make a batch, consider his milk chocolate Guinness ice cream.    I loathe milk chocolate and find Guinness disgusting, but this ice cream is superb. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am having the last spoonful of Rose Levy Beranbaum's chocolate.  My next project is her coconut.  I have all the ingredients in house.  I must say I can't wait till I can make the chocolate recipe again.  Though I want to obtain some higher quality cocoa for it if I can.

 

 

  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am having the last spoonful of Rose Levy Beranbaum's chocolate.  My next project is her coconut.  I have all the ingredients in house.  I must say I can't wait till I can make the chocolate recipe again.  Though I want to obtain some higher quality cocoa for it if I can.

 

 

That sounds good, but more importantly, are you up at 3 AM making and/or eating ice cream?

 

Rose's "blog" is cool too!

 

 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

That sounds good, but more importantly, are you up at 3 AM making and/or eating ice cream?

 

Rose's "blog" is cool too!

 

 

Thank you for the video!  To my taste her chocolate ice cream is exceptional.  However, if I may fault Rose's technique, I do not use my orange Thermapen Mk4.   And, yes, as you observed, I keep a late schedule.

 

  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I found a new item in the market the other day, non-dairy whipping cream (Silk brand).  Wondered if this coul be part of the base for non-dairy (or at least lactose-free) ice cream?  I am posting a picture of the ingredients and nutrition label.

 

whipping-cream-non-dairy.thumb.jpg.0d22c6b9fdfbf9f8856936ca82fda213.jpg

 

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

So I found a new item in the market the other day, non-dairy whipping cream (Silk brand).  Wondered if this coul be part of the base for non-dairy (or at least lactose-free) ice cream?  I am posting a picture of the ingredients and nutrition label.

 

whipping-cream-non-dairy.thumb.jpg.0d22c6b9fdfbf9f8856936ca82fda213.jpg

 

 

 

Try it.

 

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you guys for mentioning Rose Levy Beranbaum's ice cream book, I just ordered a copy as I am curious for some of her interesting flavor combinations. I have a couple of her baking books which I find really interesting so hoping for some good ideas.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

Thank you guys for mentioning Rose Levy Beranbaum's ice cream book, I just ordered a copy as I am curious for some of her interesting flavor combinations. I have a couple of her baking books which I find really interesting so hoping for some good ideas.

 

and do not forget The Perfect Scoop by our @David Lebovitz

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mgaretz said:

So I found a new item in the market the other day, non-dairy whipping cream (Silk brand).  Wondered if this coul be part of the base for non-dairy (or at least lactose-free) ice cream?  I am posting a picture of the ingredients and nutrition label.

 

whipping-cream-non-dairy.thumb.jpg.0d22c6b9fdfbf9f8856936ca82fda213.jpg

 

 

This should work theoretically but take note of the guar and lecithin that could throw off your formulation

 

they also list fava bean protein but there is no protein number in there.  Don’t they put < 1 gram usually for low quantities?

 

also if 1 serving is 15ml and you only have 5 gr in fat. Does that mean the other. 10g is water? I know ml not equal to grams but you need to weigh it and I am just assuming for discussion sake...you should weigh 15ml and get the grams snd deduct 5 from fat...the number you have left seems to be water according to the label
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mgaretz said:

So I found a new item in the market the other day, non-dairy whipping cream (Silk brand).  Wondered if this coul be part of the base for non-dairy (or at least lactose-free) ice cream?  I am posting a picture of the ingredients and nutrition label.

 

whipping-cream-non-dairy.thumb.jpg.0d22c6b9fdfbf9f8856936ca82fda213.jpg

 

 

 

I have an ice cream shop client in Kuwait who was unable to find fresh cream (truly!) so he was using a product like this. In his own words, the ice cream was disgusting (I never had the opportunity to try it). We came with a few  creative attempts to make it work, but he found all of them terrible.

 

I got frustrated, and stayed up one night writing to just about every dairy in the Middle East. Eventually one of them agreed to supply him with bulk cream. The result: ice cream no longer disgusting.

 

Your mileage may vary!

  • Like 3

Notes from the underbelly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ccp900 said:

also if 1 serving is 15ml and you only have 5 gr in fat. Does that mean the other. 10g is water? I know ml not equal to grams but you need to weigh it and I am just assuming for discussion sake...you should weigh 15ml and get the grams snd deduct 5 from fat...the number you have left seems to be water according to the label

 

Isn't that basically true of cream and milk too?

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

 

Isn't that basically true of cream and milk too?

Agreed but cream at least we know the breakdown of fats and protein and carbs.  So it isn’t purely 35% fat and 65% water.  The label you shared seems to be purely 30% fat and 70% water but the ingredients list shows protein

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seriously, in addition to not sullying my orange Thermapen Mk4, there were two other techniques where my practice differed from that of Rose:  I mix sugar and most other dry ingredients with my eggs.  I don't find it burns the yolks.  Granted, pouring sugar over yolks and going off to paint one's nails is not a recipe for success.  Also I cook all my cream and milk.

 

I'd be interested to see if Rose's ultra pasteurized milk and cream has additional additives.  I meant to look at cream in the store tonight but I forgot.

 

Chocolate07232020.png

 

  • Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, paulraphael said:

 

I have an ice cream shop client in Kuwait who was unable to find fresh cream (truly!) so he was using a product like this. In his own words, the ice cream was disgusting (I never had the opportunity to try it). We came with a few  creative attempts to make it work, but he found all of them terrible.

Just from looking at the ingredients, I was gonna say that I'd be pretty sure the ice cream made from that shit would be disgusting. As must be that shit. Ice cream from oils - yummo. Or, as dbag #1 might say - MONEY!

  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Just from looking at the ingredients, I was gonna say that I'd be pretty sure the ice cream made from that shit would be disgusting. As must be that shit. Ice cream from oils - yummo. Or, as dbag #1 might say - MONEY!

 

To be fair, lots of people are making vegan ice creams with coconut oil / cocoa butter and nut milks, and some of them are pretty good. This one gets good reviews (I haven't tried it). 

Notes from the underbelly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Just from looking at the ingredients, I was gonna say that I'd be pretty sure the ice cream made from that shit would be disgusting. As must be that shit. Ice cream from oils - yummo. Or, as dbag #1 might say - MONEY!

 

I feel like someone out there speaks the same language as me all of a sudden

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

You know, I have to confess, I don't mind all the weird stuff that goes into vegan products. 

 

IMG_1785.jpeg.c2d4708bdcd0539ab5b5717aff103793.jpeg

 

As long as the products are worthy.

 

Talk about burying the lead ... that's a lot of stuff before you get to Cannabis Distillate.

  • Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

 

Talk about burying the lead ... that's a lot of stuff before you get to Cannabis Distillate.

If the cannabis distillate was present in larger quantities, it would probably be not as, ummmm, calming.

  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...