• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

56 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Does anyone have a recipe for mango gelato?  I have 7 ice cream books, none of which contain a recipe for mango gelato.

Don't know about gelato but Joy of Cooking has mango ice cream made from cream, sugar, eggs, mango.  Amanda Hesser's The Essential New York Times Cookbook has a recipe for mango ice cream using milk, mangoes, and crème fraiche.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Don't know about gelato but Joy of Cooking has mango ice cream made from cream, sugar, eggs, mango.  Amanda Hesser's The Essential New York Times Cookbook has a recipe for mango ice cream using milk, mangoes, and crème fraiche.

Thanks, but I have neither book.  I checked the NY Times cooking site and they don't have a recipe either.  While I would like mango gelato, I'd settle for mango ice cream.  (Oh, the hardship!)

13 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Does anyone have a recipe for mango gelato?  I have 7 ice cream books, none of which contain a recipe for mango gelato.

I saw this one  pop up the other day on Leite's Culinaria.  Edited to add that the testers and comments have positive things to say about it.

Here's another one that doesn't include any dairy from Nicole on Baking Bites

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kayb said:

I'd suspect you could take your favorite peach ice cream and sub mango.

I thought of that but I wondered about the water content of a peach vs water content of a mango and the difference it might make to the texture.  Any ideas?

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I thought of that but I wondered about the water content of a peach vs water content of a mango and the difference it might make to the texture.  Any ideas?

That's why I said peach -- my best guess is it would be pretty similar.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Sometimes mangoes remain stringy, so the texture of the ice cream might be different than you expect. 

Yes, that is true.  I would run the pulp through a food mill.

1.  338g Milk
  2.   37g Cream 48%
  3.   25g SMP
  4.  157g Sucrose
  5.   18g Dextrose
  6.   20g Glucose 38DE
  7.    5g Stabilizer
  8.  200g Mango
  9.  200g Whole Yogurt

-- Antonio De Vecchi

Or design/modify your sorbet recipe with Inulin to make the texture very cream.

1.      95g Sucrose
  2.      54g Dextrose
  3.      50g Atomized Glucose (21DE)
  4.      20g Inulin
  5.     398g Water
  6.       5g Stabilizer
  7.     300g Mango
  8.     100g Passion Fruit

-- Jaume Turro Andersen

Edited by jandreas (log)

7 hours ago, jandreas said:
  1.  338g Milk
  2.   37g Cream 48%
  3.   25g SMP
  4.  157g Sucrose
  5.   18g Dextrose
  6.   20g Glucose 38DE
  7.    5g Stabilizer
  8.  200g Mango
  9.  200g Whole Yogurt

-- Antonio De Vecchi

Or design/modify your sorbet recipe with Inulin to make the texture very cream.

1.      95g Sucrose
  2.      54g Dextrose
  3.      50g Atomized Glucose (21DE)
  4.      20g Inulin
  5.     398g Water
  6.       5g Stabilizer
  7.     300g Mango
  8.     100g Passion Fruit

-- Jaume Turro Andersen

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this.  However, I don't have a lot of the ingredients you listed and I don't know where I would find 48% cream.  My basic ice cream recipe is milk, cream, sugar, eggs, sugar and salt.  In other words, I'm just a home cook.

39 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this.  However, I don't have a lot of the ingredients you listed and I don't know where I would find 48% cream.  My basic ice cream recipe is milk, cream, sugar, eggs, sugar and salt.  In other words, I'm just a home cook.

I believe those recipes are for intravenous application.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Honestly, I don't think ice cream requires nearly as many stabilizers or technical ingredients as has become popular in modernist cooking circles unless you're planning on keeping it around for days and days. 

I will say that I usually make something that's a bit less fat than most ice cream recipes, and a good bit more fat than gelato (my standard recipe is 4:2:1 milk:cream:sugar). Gelato typically has quite a bit less milkfat than ice cream. So if you'd like to standardize around, say, 8% or something (which is on the higher end of the gelato range, but still fine, and more forgiving), you could back calculate the rest. Mangoes average around 80% water content, and you can replace any milk proteins / lactose with up to 30g of skim milk powder per 3 or so odd cups of liquid.

How it precisely shakes out will probably depend on just how much mango you feel like you want to incorporate into your base. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the stringiness of mango, I'd just puree it first, but that's a personal decision.

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I designed this mango sorbet recipe for a client, who was originally using alphonso mangos:

750g Mango—Alphonso        
70g  Water        
40g Inulin        
50g Sucrose        
35g Dextrose        
50g Atomized Glucose DE30        
4.0g Sorbet Stabilizer        
1.0g Salt        

He's had better luck using a commercial frozen mango puree, and then eliminating the water. I haven't tried it myself (not a huge fan of mango sorbet). If you're willing to roll your own stabilizer with CMC, guar, and lambda carrageenan, and if you have access to erythritol and trehalose, you can improve it beyond what's written here. This was the best I could formulate within constraints.

You won't get great results just substituting mangos in a peach recipe. Mangos are much sweeter than peaches and will throw everything off. 

Notes from the underbelly

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 8:30 PM, ElsieD said:

Rose Levy Beranbaum's Ice Cream Bliss is scheduled for publication in a couple days.  The amazon preview has a discussion of mango.  The index shows her mango ice cream recipe pages 79-82.  However the mango ice cream recipe itself is not included in the preview.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Rose Levy Beranbaum's Ice Cream Bliss is scheduled for publication in a couple days.  The amazon preview has a discussion of mango.  The index shows her mango ice cream recipe pages 79-82.  However the mango ice cream recipe itself is not included in the preview.

Thanks for this.  I took some time and read through the preview.  One thing I  noticed is she used 40% ultrapasturized cream which I don't think I have ever seen here.  She says if you use this, there is no need to temper the yolks.  She does say you can up the cream% by adding butter.  So i guess I can use the cream i get here, add butter and temper the mixture.   Our whipping cream is 35% BF.  Any thoughts?

While I'm not gonna argue with @paulraphael, I've made some pretty darn good sorbets following the old Cook's Illustrated method published years and years ago - July/August 1995, as a matter of fact. Basic recipe is:

2 cups fruit puree or juice

3/4 - 1 1/4 cup sugar

0 - 2 T lemon juice

1 T appropriate booze

No need to make a simple syrup or heat anything - just blend it up. Chill and then freeze in your ice cream maker.

There's a chart that accompanies the recipe with different fruits and their sugar content. 

Never had any complaints, nor has anyone missed any of the other additional ingredients.

420644106_2014_08_10Sorbet.thumb.JPG.2255b3c3e3ca1e70e4b5bb9428c600bf.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Just now, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Lovely texture.    And completely "natural".

My award winner was always the Campari orange, because the taste of the Campari comes through nicely. Hard to do with other boozes.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks for this.  I took some time and read through the preview.  One thing I  noticed is she used 40% ultrapasturized cream which I don't think I have ever seen here.  She says if you use this, there is no need to temper the yolks.  She does say you can up the cream% by adding butter.  So i guess I can use the cream i get here, add butter and temper the mixture.   Our whipping cream is 35% BF.  Any thoughts?

Ultra pasteurized cream is most common here.  I try to avoid it for ice cream but I use it in a pinch when it is all that I can get.  As far as the butterfat percentage I might increase the cream and use less milk.  I've never seen 40% cream for sale and according to Wikipedia 40% cream has only recently come to retail.

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

I'm waiting for someone, anyone, to make lactose-free cream (that's available in the states).  Closest I have ever found is lactose-free half and half.

What about using lactose free milk and butter?

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

I have tried adding butter but it always ends up tasting like butter.  What’s the proper way to add in butter?

I think if you use butter you may need to homogenize your mix before chilling it.  I realize not everyone has an homogenizer.

What happens if you simply use all lactose free half and half instead of milk and cream?

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I think if you use butter you may need to homogenize your mix before chilling it.  I realize not everyone has an homogenizer.

What happens if you simply use all lactose free half and half instead of milk and cream?

It’s actually not too bad. 

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs