• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 2)

Shelby

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I looked at the Fat Daddio pan but the bottom part that attaches to the main body had a lip which meant it would not fit the IP.

Rotuts, the pan I have is made by Browne and purchased at a local restaurant supply store.

The recipe which gave me the idea to make this lasagna specifically said "do not use no boil noodles" so I didn't, although I have used them many times in the past.  I normally use Barilla.

I should add that for the IP lasagna I used noodles without the "fringes" on the side.  

• Like 1

Coincidentally, I am planning to try making a little IP lasagna for lunch.  I usually make a scaled-down lasagna in a ~ 9 x 5 inch glass pan using DeCecco noodles in the regular oven.  

For the IP, I was going to go smaller and use the Ronzoni noodles in a little disposable "baby" loaf pan (~5.75 x 3.25 inch), shown on the right in the photo below:

IMG_2296.jpg.f2d9992ebc311942023cfc96637

I do not precook the noodles but I usually have enough veg and sauce that it doesn't seem to be a problem.

The glass pan can make a nice little lasagna in the Cuisi-steam oven.....but that's different thread:D!

• Like 3

"Baby" lasagna report.

First, let me say that I'm not sure how often I would do this, but I was curious to see how it would work.  And there may be times when I have some bit of leftovers that I want to try in a lasagna sort of combination and this would be a good way to make that work.

I made 2 little pans of lasagna.  I used some regular Ronzoni lasagna noodles that had been in my pantry for lord knows how long.   Pan #1 was made with that tasty IP ragu from Serious Eats that I made last week,  thinned down with a little strained tomato, some sautéed spinach, mushroom and onion (the bulk of which is destined for a quiche), ricotta, mozzarella and parm.   Pan#2 was very loosely based on the lasagna al pesto recipe from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook (a version can be seen here).  This recipe has a good bit of vegetables but no actual sauce so I figured it would be the acid test for getting the noodles cooked.  Here you see them both ready for the oven Instant-Pot.  I thought Pan#1 on the left might overflow and make a big mess but it did not.

IMG_2297.jpg.cd1432070e670fbd86d8624aaa5

I put the foil covered pans on the trivet with 2 cups of water and followed the same cooking parameters @ElsieD used, also described here.  In the cooker:

IMG_2298.jpg.747bc7c291e85261a66cfe9a22c

Fresh out of the cooker:

IMG_2299.jpg.b1892380525548b331680f4266b

I gave the ragu version on the left a quick run through the Cuisi-oven's broiler.  Below, you can see the browned top of Pan#1 and a small serving of the veg/pesto version from Pan#2 on the right:

IMG_2300.jpg.489b4744c25e0feda48fd5dec45

The top layer of noodle in that pesto version is a touch more al dente than I think anyone would want but it's edible.  I'm pretty sure I've made that recipe without pre-cooking the noodles but I believe the Ronzoni noodles may be a bit thicker.  If I made this again, I'd figure out a way to add some sauce or something over that top layer of noodle to help it hydrate better.  There were a few spoonfuls of water on top of the foil when I opened the cooker so maybe trying it without the foil might work.

And in the interest of reporting all results, I also sampled a very small portion of the raga-based dish:

IMG_2304.jpg.adbcdcda08fb70d5a99d941a7ab

This one was all nicely cooked.

Again, I know making miniature lasagnas may not be of interest to most, but it could be a handy way to use up some leftovers or pilot different flavor combos.

I had the ricotta on hand because I wanted to try a version with roasted butternut squash, sautéed spinach or kale and and some blue cheese.  I still want to try that.....

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7

BD

Nice

very nice

od one considers that traditional Lasagna is rectangular for traditional purposes ...................

then Circular Lasagna is not the IP' s

so  look for circular aluminum pans or other circular Items

hope to have some soon !

I followed this recipe and made some ricotta in the Instant-Pot. Drop-dead easy.  Had some for breakfast.  It tastes very nice.  I used lime juice instead of lemon because my lime tree is loaded.  I don't really taste a lime flavor.

The only cheese I had made before was paneer and that was under the supervision of a friend from India. We used 10 gallons of milk. A bit of a production.  I have the book Artisan Cheese Making at Home and had been meaning to try making ricotta. She suggests starting with small batches of 1 - 2 gallons.  When I saw the IP recipe suggested starting with just a quart, I figured it would be easy enough to try.  

There is no pressure cooking here, you just use the "boil" function of the yogurt setting to heat the milk and then take the liner out of the pot to add salt and lemon juice off the heat.  I started with a coffee filter to strain but switched to the nut milk bag as the coffee filter was too slow.  I would do this again.

• Like 1

While I was fascinated by your ricotta, blue_dolphin, the melting cheese technique fascinated be almost as much.

Click

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

No photograph because they are all blurred.  Not sure if it is my eyes or the camera or perhaps I should have three more drinks before I take a photo.

I made basic risotto and broccoli rabe in the IP this evening. Both worked very well  but the claim that you can make risotto in seven minutes or less in any pressure cooker is marketing bullshit as I am sure most of you have figured out. Aside from the initial sauteeing of the aromatics and the rice, it was a full 15 minutes before my risotto was ready to be served. I am not complaining about the time itself but about distorted claims for pressure cookers in general. All the claims are based on the time under pressure and fail to account for the time needed to get to pressure and additional time to depressurize. (My rant is over.)

Note to Shelby,

I didn't really think you were unhinged when you suggested that three Instant Pots  might be your minimal requirement but tonight I sure could've used a second one!  I was able to keep the risotto reasonably warm while I cooked the broccoli rabe but I could certainly see your point.   There is barely room in my house for one never mind anymore.   If I wasn't still in discovery mode with my Instant Pot I am sure I would've cooked broccoli rabe another way.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

my 7 " x 4" pan arrived this AM.  Guess the mail carriers in my area deliver Aamzon stuff in the AM, PO stuff later :

7%22 x 4%22 pan.jpg

its a nice fit.  the actual rim measurement is 7 1/2 "      there is an 8 " x 4 " pan and  8 1/2 " might just fit.

http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Daddios-Anodized-Aluminum-9-Inch/dp/B0000VLIHI

you have to scroll through the measurements to get the pan you'd like

If anyone is brave enough to try the 8 " by 4 "  please post your pic.

BTW  the pan is sitting on the grate that came w the IP

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

Brown basmati turned out just as good as in my ZO. Using the cup that came with the pot, I used 3x160ml of rice and 3 full cups (180ml, I think) of water. High pressure 20 minutes, turn off and wait 10 minutes. Release remaining steam. Fluff with fork, and leave uncovered to room temp. One third if this is for fried rice tonight. The rest will be frozen. If I wanted to serve it hot right after it was made I think it would have needed more time at some step as it was initially slightly damp on the bottom.  

BTW, are others turning the pot to off during natural release or letting it stay on keep warm? 

I used the IP as a slow cooker last night, just to try that function. Recipe for Slow-Cooker Moroccan Chicken from Simply Recipes. I used chicken wings (because that's what I had) and browned them a bit before slow-cooking them with the other ingredients (for about 2.5 hours on 'high'). This recipe could have been pressure-cooked as well. I see Laura Pazzaglia has a similar recipe with a 12 min cook-time in her book. (The lamb version is on her website, chicken is the same but with the shorter cook-time,)

The usual Moroccan-blend spices, Mmmmm! 

IMGP5540.JPG.67ab86e322b33baf8cb5431f6c4

In the pot, topped with olives, chopped prunes and lemon slices. 

IMGP5550.JPG.d7ed785ef8aa35ee21fd09f56c3

Served with carrots and rice. 

IMGP5556.JPG.b3a52a9b4c563a8ef8b3c320cfe

Chicken skin is not necessarily that appealing after slow-cooking or pressure-cooking. Browning first helps but I might use thighs or legs next time and maybe skinless. 

i bought this Duxtop lid to control spatter in sauté mode and for slow-cooking. Not sure if others have posted this already - there is an Instant Pot lid but it's been out of stock for a while and it costs almost twice as much. The Duxtop fits nicely on my IP.  

• Like 3

I need another gadget like a hole in my head.  I have 2 stove top pressure cookers (Fagor) but I started pressure cooking over 30 years ago with my mother's Presto.  I used the Cuisinart electric pressure cooker for a few years but it took up a lot of space so I eventually donated it to Goodwill. Nonetheless, after reading this thread, I've decided that I *need* an InstantPot. I found the 7-in-1 model with Bluetooth on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $84.50 (it has cosmetic blemishes).  If this truly makes rice as well as the Zo induction rice cooker I will be surprised but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I love the  Zo but it's rather a unitasker in our house since we don't use most of the other functions. I'm hoping to start making my own yogurt with the InstantPot. Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes!  Now if I had just read the  Cuisinart Steam Oven thread before I just bought the Breville Smart Oven. . .  LOL 

Edited by kbjesq
Fix typo (log)
  • Like 3

No photographs but last night I made the "Perfect Chicken and Rice" from the Hip Pressure Cooking blog.  I was quite disappointed. I will not blame the recipe until I give it one more attempt as there was much going on in my house yesterday causing a number of delays in the whole process.  Like others who mentioned it in the comments section, I was somewhat alarmed at the amount of salt called for and did reduce it but I think it really does need that 3 teaspoons given how much rice is involved (2 cups uncooked).

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

talk about odd :  I went to that site about an hour ago as I got a large bag of oranges and plan to use the peel ( w pith ) for some candied orange peel

I might take me some time to accumulate the peel, so Ill freeze it as i use the oranges one at a time but save the peel.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lindag said:

Those of you who make candied lemon peel:  Have you seen this?  Hip Pressure Cooking

Thanks for posting that. I will certainly give this a try with some of the limes from my tree.  I have read many warnings about candied lime peels being too bitter and was reluctant to go through a lengthy process to come up with nasty, bitter peels but this is quick enough to try and adjust again if they don't work the first time.  Lord knows I've got plenty of limes!

• Like 1

what Id give for a lmd tree in my yard !  maybe a meyer lemon and orange or two for company.

I used to make Lime marmalade for some time when lines were cheap in CA.   I made it tart.

one time a added a few finely chopped hot green chili peppers.  don't recall if serrano or jalepeno

just enough for a delayed heat.  best stuff Ive ever made.

with the IP and that tree I don't have, that's that.

• Like 2

OK.  There is really no need for these pictures since the ones on the hippressurecooking site are just fine but I took them so here you go.  Limes on the tree:

IMG_2325.jpg.139dd3215543d6b000561769e62

Note they are turning yellow and falling off into the rosemary underneath.  

5 limes, weighing ~ 1 lb chosen for our experiment today.

IMG_2327.jpg.2ab0fb8fac7e8d62aba21011061

They look nice and juicy:

IMG_2328.jpg.377795b8921dc87552fd2c79923

Juiced.  I got ~ 10 oz juice from these guys.  I will use it to make some preserved limes.

IMG_2329.jpg.f8b06c99d9d5fb18f90c18cc9a2

Pulp scraped out.  The recipe suggested a melon baller to loosen the pulp but I found the tip of a sharp knife worked better for me.  Once started, it's easy to pull the pulp off the skins.

IMG_2330.jpg.2aa6ef71173e03ff22a0448dacf

In the cooker for the first cook in water:

IMG_2333.jpg.ab3ce2ddb3e239e3a5f32a48502

I was tempted to repeat that step to reduce the bitterness but tasted a piece after that first boil and it wasn't terribly bitter so I'll just go with the recipe as written. 

Also tempted to sub in some portion of lime juice into the sugar:water mixture for the second boil to give them a little more tang but I'll go with the recipe. 

I've got to go out to an appointment before the pressure releases from the second boil so I'll report on my results later.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

OK.  There is really no need for these pictures since the ones on the hippressurecooking site are just fine but I took them so here you go.  Limes on the tree:

IMG_2325.jpg

Note they are turning yellow and falling off into the rosemary underneath.  

5 limes, weighing ~ 1 lb chosen for our experiment today.

IMG_2327.jpg

They look nice and juicy:

IMG_2328.jpg

Juiced.  I got ~ 10 oz juice from these guys.  I will use it to make some preserved limes.

IMG_2329.jpg

Pulp scraped out.  The recipe suggested a melon baller to loosen the pulp but I found the tip of a sharp knife worked better for me.  Once started, it's easy to pull the pulp off the skins.

IMG_2330.jpg

In the cooker for the first cook in water:

IMG_2333.jpg

I was tempted to repeat that step to reduce the bitterness but tasted a piece after that first boil and it wasn't terribly bitter so I'll just go with the recipe as written. 

Also tempted to sub in some portion of lime juice into the sugar:water mixture for the second boil to give them a little more tang but I'll go with the recipe. 

I've got to go out to an appointment before the pressure releases from the second boil so I'll report on my results later.

I don't watch movies because I can't stand the suspense and now this?  I have orange rinds in the freezer that I saved for Kerry Beal. Not enough methinks for a decent experiment. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog