• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 2)

Shelby

I made turkey noodle soup in the IP last night.  No pictures 'cause it looked like turkey noodle soup lol.  I did the noodles separately on the stove because I thought I might want to freeze some of it.

Also, I here are some pictures of some new accessories:

6 1/2" springform pan 

PC080941.JPG.b86cf8f826cd9b730057782db9dPC080942.JPG.7a81ec161dda76fe2694e505f64

And, I'm going to start yogurt here in a minute.  

PC110946.JPG.58077a5b61c01473a9e14f6c930

After doing some online research I found this bag.  It's plastic-ish with tiny tiny holes and a drawstring and reusable.  I think it will be great for straining my yogurt so that it's more of a "greek" yogurt.   I also think it will be great for jelly making.

PC110944.JPG.922dd39b6d9204d3783a3eed2c1

PC110945.JPG.addcd42f38762bb237b3b43aa01

Edited by Shelby
Get rid of double pictures (log)
  • Like 4

On December 11, 2015 at 9:02 AM, rotuts said:

S, if you get the chance can you show the fit of that pan in the IP ?

on the grate that came with the IP ?

thanks

where did you get it ?

Amazon.  My favorite shopping destination lol. 

PC110947.JPG.e2e14f445bd67a010e41f8ade89

Edited by Shelby (log)

image.jpeg

Shelby, 

This is the perfect thing for making "Greek" yogurt. All of it will go into the dishwasher and it is compact and easy to keep in the refrigerator. Got mine for a couple of dollars at a thrift store.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

And so it was back to the drawing board. I had an early morning appointment and we stopped in at a supermarket shortly after. Somebody in the universe is on my side because broccoli was on sale for $.87 for three small small stalks!   The first thing I did was determine how long it would take the Instant Pot to reach full pressure with 160 mL (the minimum amount recommended in the manual) of cold water using the steam function.   That turned out to be four minutes. Add to that the four minutes I gave it last night to cook and one begins to see why it would turn to mush. 

Step two I used 160 mL of hot water ( just off the boil), put in the trivet and the steam basket and loaded it with one small head of broccoli broken into florettes along with the peeled and chunked stem.  This time I chose only two minutes as the cook time. Using the hot water took one minute off the time to reach full pressure.

This time the florets were cooked as I like but the stems were not quite tender.  I suspect that is easily addressed by cutting the stems smaller.

Not sure about the take away from all of this.   My suspicion is that there are better ways to cook broccoli.   But hell I had fun on a busy Friday morning.  

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Now that yinz have all been playing for a while and I'm just getting started, which of the books do you find the most useful/reliable/valuable, especially with respect to the Instant Pot?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

12 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Now that yinz have all been playing for a while and I'm just getting started, which of the books do you find the most useful/reliable/valuable, especially with respect to the Instant Pot?

I don't have any books.  I've been relying on this thread :) (and thread #1) and google.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

I think all of them have their strengths and weaknesses and that they will appeal to each of us differently. Because I am a one person household there is much to be said for Janet Zimmerman's book but then there are recipes in other books that Janet doesn't have in hers. I think rotuts  has the right idea -- borrow them from the library before you buy. 

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

I know many ways to cook broccoli. Most of them result in a perfectly al dente,  brilliantly green vegetable.  Not willing to let well enough alone last night I decided steam my broccoli in the Instant Pot. Hmmm.  Broccoli purée anyone?  I studied up on my subject thoroughly. Even watched a YouTube video on how to cook vegetables in the Instant Pot.  Used a trivet and a steaming basket.   Chose four minutes and a quick release because I was also cooking the stems.  Knew long before the four minutes were up that my broccoli was not doing well. Just in the time it took for the Instant Pot to reach pressure I knew inside there my broccoli was turning to mush. 

Given all the ways I have to cook broccoli I can think of no logical reason to attempt to do it again in the Instant Pot  but you all know that I will have to try!   First to hunt down more broccoli.

Hi Anna!

Use 0 minutes! Makes it perfect!

• Like 3

Yogurt is a total success.

I can tell such a difference in taste from store bought.  It's way more fresh (obviously) and has a great "tang" to it.  

I followed this recipe mostly.  I did not add any vanilla because I like to use yogurt in place of sour cream sometimes  and I used the freeze dried yogurt culture that I pictured above.  Also, I only had a 1/2 gallon of milk so I halved the recipe.  Just to note, a half gallon of milk takes 10 grams (or 2 packages of the kind I bought) of culture.

I didn't take a picture of the milk in the IP because it looked like milk in the IP lol.  Here is the yogurt after the 8 hours in the pot.  I put it in my draining bag.PC110960.JPG.8fb76efb9ea3d98e849d459a192

I hung the bag from the faucet for ohhhh, maybe 30-45 mins.  Excuse the dirty dishes please.PC110961.JPG.6251679cd91309c125d7971b421

After hanging the recipe suggests putting the yogurt back in the IP bowl and whisking to break up any lumps.PC110963.JPG.482d2d6119f6d58e700476ccb38

A half gallon of milk yielded a quart and a half of nice, creamy, thick yogurt.

PC110964.JPG.0b7e2106ea82bf810647e87469e

I saved the whey......dunno what I will do with it.....might go right down the drain, but I'm going to google for ideas.  The lady that did the recipe makes muffins I think.....

PC110967.JPG.29465b0921e009792e93ffb62a4

And, here's what I'm eating as I type.  Yogurt with a nice dollop of honey on top.  PC120970.JPG.58c3c879b3f5ade0fa0c54c0e28

Ronnie even likes it and he's not a yogurt fan.  He mentioned frozen yogurt....I'll have to figure out how to do that next.

Also, I came back from the laundry room to my two cats next to the bowl.....with yogurt on their whiskers.  So, we have two more fans lol.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 6

Thanks Stckciv and Mmmpomps  for the advice on the broccoli. I will certainly give it a try.

Earlier in the week Kery Beal and I were in a supermarket that often carries lamb ( not all of them do). She spotted this package of tiny shanks and odds and ends.  Although I had sworn not to buy anymore meat until I had used up what was in the freezer,  but the price was too good to pass up!

image.jpeg.44aeb4bcf58afb4c1aab07d88870fimage.jpg.80274734272d6dbd304abb3450a7ecimage.jpeg.8d33529ffc3e7d06fc481e711f6f1

so they went home with me and I turned to  Janet Zimmerman's book  for her recipe for lamb shanks and serve them over some polenta also cooked in the Instant Pot.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I have just started trying out my new Instant Pot. I made a basic stew - cubes of chuck sautéed and then added some onion, celery, beef stock and red wine. Pressure cooked for about 20 mins, then added carrots and potatoes and mushrooms and cooked for another 20 mins. I would add the carrots and potatoes a bit later next time because i like them to have a bit more firmness. But the stew was very good. 

I also cooked some artichokes. I adore artichokes and was very pleased with how they came out of the Instant Pot. Followed these instructions for cooking times:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/steamed-artichokes-a-pressure-cooker-classic/

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences, lots of ideas to try out here! 

• Like 1

Ohhhhh artichokes are probably really great in the IP.  If I ever stumble across some, I'm doing that.  Thanks FP :)  Glad your stew turned out well.  I haven't done that yet.  Been waiting for a nice, cold, winter day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yogurt is a total success.

I can tell such a difference in taste from store bought.  It's way more fresh (obviously) and has a great "tang" to it.  

I followed this recipe mostly.  I did not add any vanilla because I like to use yogurt in place of sour cream sometimes  and I used the freeze dried yogurt culture that I pictured above.  Also, I only had a 1/2 gallon of milk so I halved the recipe.  Just to note, a half gallon of milk takes 10 grams (or 2 packages of the kind I bought) of culture.

I didn't take a picture of the milk in the IP because it looked like milk in the IP lol.  Here is the yogurt after the 8 hours in the pot.  I put it in my draining bag.PC110960.JPG

I hung the bag from the faucet for ohhhh, maybe 30-45 mins.  Excuse the dirty dishes please.PC110961.JPG

After hanging the recipe suggests putting the yogurt back in the IP bowl and whisking to break up any lumps.PC110963.JPG

A half gallon of milk yielded a quart and a half of nice, creamy, thick yogurt.

PC110964.JPG

I saved the whey......dunno what I will do with it.....might go right down the drain, but I'm going to google for ideas.  The lady that did the recipe makes muffins I think.....

PC110967.JPG

And, here's what I'm eating as I type.  Yogurt with a nice dollop of honey on top.  PC120970.JPG

Ronnie even likes it and he's not a yogurt fan.  He mentioned frozen yogurt....I'll have to figure out how to do that next.

Also, I came back from the laundry room to my two cats next to the bowl.....with yogurt on their whiskers.  So, we have two more fans.

That is the same recipe I followed except I did not use the vanilla either.  I really liked the yogurt.

• Like 2

I used 1% milk and added 1 1/2 tablespoons whipping cream per cup of milk.  Our whipping cream is 35% fat.

Edited by Smithy
Removed extraneous photo per ElsieD's request - hang in there, we'll get through this :-) (log)
  • Like 1

Shelby, the picture links are broken back where you first talked about making yogurt. What kind of starter/culture did you use again? From Amazon? 

And did your strainer come from Amazon? Thanks! 

And I don't think you need to add cream if you use 2% milk. I think the link you gave for instructions used 2% w/o any added cream. But if you like a richer yogurt, I guess you can always add some cream to your low-fat milk. ElsieD, is that why you added the cream? 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Shelby, the picture links are broken back where you first talked about making yogurt. What kind of starter/culture did you use again? From Amazon? 

And did your strainer come from Amazon? Thanks! 

And I don't think you need to add cream if you use 2% milk. I think the link you gave for instructions used 2% w/o any added cream. But if you like a richer yogurt, I guess you can always add some cream to your low-fat milk. ElsieD, is that why you added the cream? 

I have no idea why the pics weren't showing up.  I uploaded just like I did today, but anyway, I tried again and maybe you can see them now?  If not, give me a bit and I'll try again.

• Like 1