• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 2)

Shelby

I haven't done much cooking at home lately, but did use the IP a few times. I made basmati rice a couple of times and if it didn't come out perfect, it was still very good. 

Time recommendations are sometimes varying, even by the same author. Funny that the IP recipe booklet suggests 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup of basmati rice and a 4 minute pressure cook, while in her (Laura Pazzaglia's) own book, Hip Pressure Cooking, this has been reduced to 1.25 cups of water and a 2 minute pressure cook. So, like many things, I'll just have to experiment a bit and find my own sweet spot, I guess. 

I also cooked some beef short ribs, using a beef-stock-and-wine braising liquid. I used the timing recommendations in The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book, which was about 50 mins, followed by a natural (or slow) release. But while they cooked, I realized that those recipes were using smaller boneless ribs. Mine were large and bone-in. After the cooking time was up, I simmered them a bit more while I did the mashed potatoes on the stovetop. Again, something I might have to play with to find the best time, but 50 mins wasn't quite enough. 

Today I made a simple spicy tomato soup. it's a fave of mine and I used to let it simmer quite a while on the stovetop, so I thought it would be really nice done in the IP. It's just diced onion, celery and carrot sautéed in a bit of olive oil and/or butter, then almost equal parts of chicken stock and Cento canned tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes + tomato paste) and some herbs/seasonings. I'm partial to Kirkland Organic No-Salt Seasoning. The heat comes from some red pepper flakes. 

First thing was timing recommendations for similar soups were again quite varied - one said 5 minutes of pressure cooking, another said 25. I went somewhere in the middle and used 18 mins. The second thing was the heat of the red pepper flakes - despite having been warned, I used a bit too many. They really get hotter after pressure-cooking than they do with stovetop cooking. I didn't mind the extra heat, but my husband did a bit of a double-take after the first taste. Here's Laura Pazzaglia in Hip Pressure Cooking, p 105:

Careful with the Red Pepper Flakes! The hotness of crushed red pepper flakes appears to magnify in the pressure cooker tenfold. What seems like magic is really just the even distribution and infusion of the hot pepper's oils into every part of the dish that occurs in pressure cooking. 

They certainly did seem hotter than usual!  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I haven't done much cooking at home lately, but did use the IP a few times. I made basmati rice a couple of times and if it didn't come out perfect, it was still very good. 

Time recommendations are sometimes varying, even by the same author. Funny that the IP recipe booklet suggests 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup of basmati rice and a 4 minute pressure cook, while in her (Laura Pazzaglia's) own book, Hip Pressure Cooking, this has been reduced to 1.25 cups of water and a 2 minute pressure cook. So, like many things, I'll just have to experiment a bit and find my own sweet spot, I guess. 

I also cooked some beef short ribs, using a beef-stock-and-wine braising liquid. I used the timing recommendations in The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book, which was about 50 mins, followed by a natural (or slow) release. But while they cooked, I realized that those recipes were using smaller boneless ribs. Mine were large and bone-in. After the cooking time was up, I simmered them a bit more while I did the mashed potatoes on the stovetop. Again, something I might have to play with to find the best time, but 50 mins wasn't quite enough. 

Today I made a simple spicy tomato soup. it's a fave of mine and I used to let it simmer quite a while on the stovetop, so I thought it would be really nice done in the IP. It's just diced onion, celery and carrot sautéed in a bit of olive oil and/or butter, then almost equal parts of chicken stock and Cento canned tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes + tomato paste) and some herbs/seasonings. I'm partial to Kirkland Organic No-Salt Seasoning. The heat comes from some red pepper flakes. 

First thing was timing recommendations for similar soups were again quite varied - one said 5 minutes of pressure cooking, another said 25. I went somewhere in the middle and used 18 mins. The second thing was the heat of the red pepper flakes - despite having been warned, I used a bit too many. They really get hotter after pressure-cooking than they do with stovetop cooking. I didn't mind the extra heat, but my husband did a bit of a double-take after the first taste. Here's Laura Pazzaglia in Hip Pressure Cooking, p 105:

They certainly did seem hotter than usual!  

That's good to know about the red pepper flakes as while I use them quite often, I haven't used them in my IP yet.  Always nice to get a "head's up".  And, I like the picture of your cat!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That's good to know about the red pepper flakes as while I use them quite often, I haven't used them in my IP yet.  Always nice to get a "head's up".  And, I like the picture of you cat!

Thanks, ElsieD! I'm not sure the peppers were 10 times hotter, but they did taste hotter than usual. I'd just be a bit careful about amounts when you use them until you have a chance to see how much hotter! 

The soup was really good though, better than the stovetop version.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kayb said:

The IP was a fine thing when cooking Christmas dinner. First I used it to cook potatoes for the potato salad, and then to steam the country ham before browning it in a skillet. I started to use it to cook the pasta for the mac and cheese, but at that point it was getting close to dinnertime, and I didn't want to experiment with a new technique. Pasta cooks quickly enough, anyway.

Still loving the IP.

Did the ham turn out nice and tender?   Did you end up soaking it?  Was thinking about you and hoping all was good.

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Did the ham turn out nice and tender?   Did you end up soaking it?  Was thinking about you and hoping all was good.

I soaked it and then steamed it in the water, vs. on the rack, for 20 minutes. Not a good result. Between the soak and the steam-in-water, it took too much seasoning out of the ham (although it was tender, which I was aiming for). Next time, I will do one or the other, but not both. Also, after a 20-minute steam in water, it was falling apart when I tried to brown it. Thinking I might cut the time a bit with a steam-on-the-rack process. Expect I'lll try that over New Year's.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

I soaked it and then steamed it in the water, vs. on the rack, for 20 minutes. Not a good result. Between the soak and the steam-in-water, it took too much seasoning out of the ham (although it was tender, which I was aiming for). Next time, I will do one or the other, but not both. Also, after a 20-minute steam in water, it was falling apart when I tried to brown it. Thinking I might cut the time a bit with a steam-on-the-rack process. Expect I'lll try that over New Year's.

Good to know.  I'll try your way next time.  

10 hours ago, kayb said:

I *think* that I finally found the secret to juicy ham (regular ham, on the bone, not country ham, with skin still intact).  Just put the ham (big side down) in a large roasting pan. Score the skin.  Add 1 can of cola, ginger ale,  Dr Pepper, broth or water to the pan, as you wish. Cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil and bake at 200F for 8 hours.  Yup, 8 hours at 200F. End temp is 140F throughout with no moisture loss. 

I've been cooking hams for decades and I finally figured out that low and slow is the only way to go.  I'm finally cooking hams that the family loves. My  family doesn't like a sweet crust, but that could be easily added at the end  by adding brown sugar (or your choice of glaze)  & broiling for a couple minutes 

5 hours ago, kbjesq said:

I *think* that I finally found the secret to juicy ham (regular ham, on the bone, not country ham, with skin still intact).  Just put the ham (big side down) in a large roasting pan. Score the skin.  Add 1 can of cola, ginger ale,  Dr Pepper, broth or water to the pan, as you wish. Cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil and bake at 200F for 8 hours.  Yup, 8 hours at 200F. End temp is 140F throughout with no moisture loss. 

I've been cooking hams for decades and I finally figured out that low and slow is the only way to go.  I'm finally cooking hams that the family loves. My  family doesn't like a sweet crust, but that could be easily added at the end  by adding brown sugar (or your choice of glaze)  & broiling for a couple minutes 

Essentially, I agree with your technique, though I use a different glaze. I put my ham on the rack, rub it down liberally with mustard (plain old yellow ballpark mustard works fine), and then coat it with a thick layer of brown sugar patted on. Final step is an application of bourbon from a spray bottle. Agree with the low-and-slow baking -- I go 20 minutes per pound at 275-300F.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Must be cheesecake day :)

Oh my, I've never even thought about making a cheesecake.  Seems far too complicated and they are so big that we would never eat them.

Not true anymore.  Using the IP could not be easier and, on the first try it turned out perfect.  

I'm a tiny bit proud of myself lol.

Next time I will make more crust.  I didn't have any graham crackers so I used Ritz crackers, butter and sugar.  I want more crust up the sides.  You can't make it too tall, though, or the condensation in the pot will make it mushy.

PC271024.JPG.2d1c67140575a1260219b873e1a

PC271030.JPG.8cf2356da94a654ed0282e0aa3d

PC271032.JPG.92623d99e79fcbf74fce19f4388

• Like 9

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

shelby:  what Rx an pan did you use ?

ive only made CK one, as Im not that big a fan

that might change soon ..............

I used this recipe  and I used this pan.

I did not cover the top of the cheesecake with foil while it was in the IP.  I've read online that people do sometimes.  I just blotted any excess water off with a paper towel and it was just fine.

• Like 2

So I tried to make poached eggs in the instant pot today. I don't know what I did wrong. I tried to follow the tutorial that is located in part 1 of this thread. I put my eggs in buttered ramekins, added one cup of water to the instant pot, inserted the trivet, put the ramekins on the trivet & after the lid was secured, I set the steamer function - 4 minutes. After 4 minutes there was no discernible cooking taking place. So I reset the whole thing again -  another 4 minutes. Once again nothing happened. Was I supposed to use the low pressure setting and not the steam setting? Should I have added another cup of water when I reset it for an additional 4 minutes of steaming?

I'm honestly at a loss to figure out what I did wrong. Eventually I just took them out and steamed them in a regular deep saute pan because by then, I was starving and my toast was cold! 

9 minutes ago, kbjesq said:

So I tried to make poached eggs in the instant pot today. I don't know what I did wrong. I tried to follow the tutorial that is located in part 1 of this thread. I put my eggs in buttered ramekins, added one cup of water to the instant pot, inserted the trivet, put the ramekins on the trivet & after the lid was secured, I set the steamer function - 4 minutes. After 4 minutes there was no discernible cooking taking place. So I reset the whole thing again -  another 4 minutes. Once again nothing happened. Was I supposed to use the low pressure setting and not the steam setting? Should I have added another cup of water when I reset it for an additional 4 minutes of steaming?

I'm honestly at a loss to figure out what I did wrong. Eventually I just took them out and steamed them in a regular deep saute pan because by then, I was starving and my toast was cold! 

I think you will have good luck using the manual button for 3 or 4 minutes on high pressure and doing a quick release.  

Just now, Shelby said:

I think you will have good luck using the manual button for 3 or 4 minutes on high pressure and doing a quick release.  

@Shelby do I still add 1 cup of water,  put the ramekins on the trivet and then high pressure cook?  (sorry if this is a dumb question but I love poached eggs and am super-excited that there might be a fast and easy way to make them)  ☺

1 minute ago, kbjesq said:

@Shelby do I still add 1 cup of water,  put the ramekins on the trivet and then high pressure cook?  (sorry if this is a dumb question but I love poached eggs and am super-excited that there might be a fast and easy way to make them)  ☺

No not a dumb question!  Everything else you did was perfect.  Cup of water, ramekins-greased on trivet and yes, I'd do it on manual at high pressure for 3 mins and quick release.  Do a minute more if too runny.  I like mine on the runny side.  I think you can also use the steam button on high pressure but I haven't tried that way...at least I don't think I have.....my egg trials have been many lol.   I've read where people use the low pressure and it works for them, too.  It takes a bit of experimentation I think.

• Like 1

A side note, poached egg methods in the IP are ALL over the place in terms of how people do it.   I've read 0 mins steam, 7 mins steam, 3 mins high on manual etc etc.   I guess everyone's eggs are so different???   It just takes some trying to get your method down.  I've been through a lot of eggs lol.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

poached egg methods in the IP are ALL over the place in terms of how people do it

I've read the same all-over-the-place methods which has encouraged me to continue to poach eggs in a pan on the stove - I admire those of you who have experimented further!  

I made this lemon, artichoke and shrimp risotto this evening.  Super easy and it was very well received by my house guests.  I used frozen artichoke hearts instead of canned but otherwise followed the recipe.  It says that it serves 4 as a main course but 3 of us stuffed ourselves and polished it off as we sat around the table and worked on a second bottle of Louis Jadot Pouilly-Fuisse that was a perfect pairing for this dish.

Edited to add that this was my first pressure cooker risotto and I was pleasantly surprised at how much this hands-off method recapitulated the texture of the traditional method of adding broth one ladle at a time with fairly constant stirring.  A side-by-side comparison might show up the imposter but for something so quick and easy, this was very good. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

I do risotto in my Fuzzy rice cooker.  the key to creaminess is the string at the end of the cook and the correct amount of water.  when you stir you mix in the starch w the liquid

it does not seem to matter if you do it at the end

i like risotto and will try it in the IP esp theBd Rx above.

• Like 1

IP and Steel Cut Oats  cooked w milk on the Porridge Cycle ?

SCO's were mentioned on the Breakfast thread, and I cook mine in a Fuzzy rice cooker which I got just for this purpose a zillion years ago

the Fuzzy does not scorch milk

I realized I had no idea what temp milk scorches at nor the temp the IP goes to on Porridge .

any ideas ?

My husband made butter chicken in the Instant Pot last night. He did half a recipe of this. The IP pot worked fine, although he chose to do the browning in his cast-iron skillet instead of the IP. But we both thought the end product was bland. Neither of us is a butter chicken connoisseur, so maybe the problem is that butter chicken is supposed to be bland?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2