• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chillin' in Manitoulin

Kerry Beal

The overall shot of the condo kitchen may show the mess but it really helps show the layout of your Island-TIme kitchen. I am reminded of a small poster I had in my office at another job: I'd rather have creative clutter than idle tidiness.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Oooooh I like that...tropical fog.  Or maybe something Halloween-ish.  "Fog over the graveyard"

Or "Mist of the Moors" (as in the Sherlock Holmes tale "The Hounds of Baskerville").

Happy Birthday, Kerry!

Thanks for taking the time to post all of the great pictures.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

IMG_1368.jpg

Thanks all for the birthday wishes - I got to have my picture taken with the silly ass hat (thank god they lost the pink feather boa)!

They baked me a really nice apple topped cheese cake - and there was fudge! 

IMG_1369.jpg

Here's the pie now that it's settled.

IMG_1371.jpg

Ran home at lunch to make a bowl of ramen with the remaining pork belly - now back to work!

• Like 10

Happy birthday, Kerry!  Are you going out or cooking in?

Cooking in - but it's going to be rather pathetic I think. I hit both grocery stores after work with the idea that I'd pick up a nice piece of meat to cook on the BBQ before I tuck it away. Not one single piece of anything cut thick enough to make it worth my while cooking!

So I've got some leftover bits of cauliflower roasting - and perhaps some pumpkin pie.

• Like 1

I do like that pie. The dulce isn't overpowering and cloying but it's a nice flavor with the pumpkin. I don't miss the traditional spices at all... and I like traditional pumpkin pie.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I do like that pie. The dulce isn't overpowering and cloying but it's a nice flavor with the pumpkin. I don't miss the traditional spices at all... and I like traditional pumpkin pie.

Me too - wonder if a little orange would be a good compliment to it. Or rum!

Happy Birthday!

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Happy Birthday!!!!  DANG it, are you on call????  No birthday cocktail (s)?  

Realized rather late that I hadn't - and I'm not on call!

IMG_1381.jpg

Comte de Sureau.

• Like 5

The part I hate - the packing (not a huge fan of the unpacking either) - "I'll Have What Phil is Having" is on the TV which helps a bit.

IMG_1392.jpg

Here's the closet so far - I managed to drop the CSO onto the little electric pot we use to deep fry here - broke the handle off the pot. Think the CSO survived.

I have someone coming over tonight to play with chocolate so I can't pack everything away quite yet - so there will be a few hangers in the closet.

I have a cocktail premixed for when she arrives - it's an Intro to Aperol - she found the Brother's Perryman with campari that I gave her last time to be too bitter - we know how to draw people over to the dark side!

• Like 5

IMG_1394.jpg

Did I mention I bought a case of honey - I've found it twice in the dark.

IMG_1396.jpg

Headed back to the grocery store - again stared at the meat and found nothing worth purchasing - but discovered the butcher was actually there. He mentioned that he had cleaned the band saw - so I asked what he had that was boneless that he could cut me a decent thickness. So I ended up with a couple of pieces of rib end loin chop cut a couple of inches thick. Set up the Anova in what ever container had not been put in the closet. 

IMG_1397.jpg

Dragged out the pressure cooker and induction - made something half way between champ and colcannon.

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

• Like 11

Ouch, Kerry. That foot must be killing you. :( It better be excellent honey.

I imagine you are looking forward to getting back home. Thanks for bringing us along yet again on this Manitoulin Island foray. Have a safe trip back.

Ouch, Kerry. That foot must be killing you. :( It better be excellent honey.

I imagine you are looking forward to getting back home. Thanks for bringing us along yet again on this Manitoulin Island foray. Have a safe trip back.

Hurt the first day - then I hit the matching toe on the other side and it stopped!

• Like 3

Hurt the first day - then I hit the matching toe on the other side and it stopped!

Always a good strategy!

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.