• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chillin' in Manitoulin

Kerry Beal

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

I've dipped a couple of hundred of Whole Paycheck's brand of Oreo cookies since yesterday - in preparation for the upcoming Luxury Chocolate Show in November. 

IMG_1345.jpg

With my leftovers - I made some maple walnut bark - a couple of drops of Loranne Maple flavour for chocolate, some maple sugar flakes and some nice Costco brand walnuts.  

• Like 7

I've dipped a couple of hundred of Whole Paycheck's brand of Oreo cookies since yesterday - in preparation for the upcoming Luxury Chocolate Show in November. 

Are they Luxury because the cookies came from Whole Paycheck? :laugh:

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Actually purchased very inexpensively from the factory that makes them for Whole Paycheck! Wanted the Wegman's brand but they aren't making them anymore.

• Like 1

Waaait a minute. No more Wegmans brand Oreos? Or just one specific version? (The "real" Oreos with golden cookies and chocolate creme seems to have vanished, along with those deadly Key Lime ones from this summer.)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Wow !

the Danger Zone on the Comp !

guess you don't have Frisky Cats nor Great Large Dogs  with Impressive Tails !

good as any excuse to get a new Mac 

just saying

in my case  it was only a Keyboard or Two

• Like 3

Wow !

the Danger Zone on the Comp !

guess you don't have Frisky Cats nor Great Large Dogs  with Impressive Tails !

good as any excuse to get a new Mac 

just saying

in my case  it was only a Keyboard or Two

Living dangerously!

• Like 4

IMG_1346.jpg

Apparently I forgot to post my dinner - ramen - had a little chunk of pork belly that I dry brined as per Momofuku then cooked in the pressure cooker.  It's Sun Brand Miso Ramen.

• Like 6

Tempered up some dark chocolate last night - dipped some TJ's candied ginger and Tj's crystallized ginger. Then with the remains chopped up a bit of the crystallized ginger and some TJ's toasted coconut for bark.

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

As you can see I've been sampling a bit!

• Like 7

IMG_1359.jpg

Attempt to make some coconut rum. Something akin to Wray and Nephew - added at about 55% ABV to coconut and a piece of vanilla pod. 

Microwaved for about 50 seconds to get to about 60º C three separate times then closed into mason jar to cool. Strained, ultrasounded for 10 minutes or so then filtered. 

Doesn't look like it's going to be clear no matter what.

• Like 1

Oh, those chocolate-dipped goodies, and the bark! I adore dark chocolate...and welcome the convenient info that it's rich in antioxidants.

What will you do, if anything, to compensate for cloudy rum? Disguise it with a cream liqueur? Ignore it? Invent a new drink that celebrates the cloudiness? 'Island storm' or 'tropical fog', perhaps?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Oh, those chocolate-dipped goodies, and the bark! I adore dark chocolate...and welcome the convenient info that it's rich in antioxidants.

What will you do, if anything, to compensate for cloudy rum? Disguise it with a cream liqueur? Ignore it? Invent a new drink that celebrates the cloudiness? 'Island storm' or 'tropical fog', perhaps?

It's for one of the nurses who likes coconut rum - so I'm not as worried about the cloudiness. 

Couple of skies that I just had to share

DSCN6023.jpg

Yesterday afternoon looked out and saw this kind of spooky sky. 

DSCN6026.jpg

This morning I caught the tail end of this red sky 

DSCN6028.jpg

So this afternoon I saw the results of 'red sky at morning...'

• Like 9

There is a group visiting from Finnmark - they are setting up a medical program that has a lot in common with the Northern Ontario School of Medicine program up here.  A gang of us went out last night with them to the Anchor for dinner (have I mentioned how much I miss the dinners that we used to have at the Shaftsbury Inn?).

IMG_1363.jpg

Can't go too wrong with the fajitas.

IMG_1362.jpg

They do whitefish well - one of the Norwegian folks ordered the whitefish taco app thinking it would be a couple of bites.

IMG_1361.jpg

Wasn't she surprised two bites in when they brought her burger!

They had noticed the prevalent obesity!

• Like 5

DSCN6033.jpg

Lovely sky this am

IMG_1364.jpg

Kitchen not so lovely this am - but I did remember to get the garbage out which is a first this trip!

IMG_1365.jpg

Leftover apples, thawed puff pastry - apple galette! So I have another sheet of puff thawed - will have to figure out what to make with it. Hmmm... what other leftover stuff could be put in it.

Managed to offload the rest of my caldo verde to the PA student who brought her hubby in to have his ankle xrayed after the bull took exception to his attempts to dissuade him from locking heads with another bull on the other side of the fence. He's apparently spent too much time fixing fences this year! I had them in for a chat and a drink for hubby - then sent them home with the soup and and mixmaster that I've replaced with the little Siemans mixer I found in a thrift store this year.

• Like 6

IMG_1366.jpg

Pie crust I'd put in the freezer when I made them last weekend, remains of the pumpkin puree - another of the Idea's in Food pies.  

• Like 4