• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 2)

elyse

Spiced peanuts with garlic, dried chillies and sea salt.

These are cooling prior to being put in a jar for snacking purposes...image.jpeg

A bit like the panda on FB, can you spot the garlic and chilli ?

Edited by sartoric (log)
  • Like 6

568611d9226c7_malarabbithead.jpg.47e99f8

I'm munching down on this. 麻辣兔头 (má là tù tóu) or Mala Rabbit Head, a Sichuan specialty. Rabbit head marinaded in Chinese spirits (白酒 bái jiǔ)then fried with Sichuan peppercorns and chillies.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This morning, I went to buy more of the shiitake chips mentioned upthread. I grabbed what appeared to be the last three packs then noticed something different.

Mixed mushroom chips. Shiitake, Oyster, Eryngi and Enoki mushrooms.

56876615ea723_MixedMushroomChips.jpg.a8b

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

The beautiful food photography and writing on this site is enough to whet the appetite of anyone!

I just had two pieces of TJ's cinnamon swirl raisin bread, each toasted separately and eaten hot and crunchy with real butter. This was unbelievably good.

I'm having to restrain myself from toasting up and eating more, but I've already consumed 500 delicious calories in just the two slices, generously buttered.

BTW, this rich bread freezes very well, and my snack was pulled from the freezer with a November 17, 2015 expiration date on the loaf. Still very, very delicious!

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

• 4 weeks later...

Toasted sourdough with copious amounts of Ludlow Food Centre rinded but soft cheese "Cheese with no name" melted over it. 

Sorry, no pics. I had forgotten dinner and was hungry :D 

• Like 3

image.thumb.jpeg.5b09ce16072bf2271973f30

Needed boneless, skinless chicken thighs so had to do some prep--the skin is snack material and the bones stock material. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

how did you do those skins ?

on my long long list of things to do is the Ck/Tirk skin in a pan with double parchment b baked crispy.

I didn't want the splatter mess to clean up today so I sprinkled a little kosher salt on a quarter sheet pan that has seen better days, stretched the skins out and plunked them down over the salt  and then put them in the Breville at 450°F with the fan on. I knew I needed the oven so these had to be done fast but they had to be watched with eagle eyes.  They could certainly have tolerated a lower temperature and still turned crispy. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice Gaviota strawberries from Harry's Berries at yesterday's farmer's market. I usually go for Seascape but they didn't seem as ripe.  I gave these guys the luxury treatment with some  TJ's vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of good balsamic vinegar:

56da00642a8b3_IMG_2608(1).thumb.jpg.e35d

and they were lovely!

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I've posted these before - it's been a while since I had any, but now I'm sitting at the computer with a bowl of these in front of me. Dried little fish. I don't know what species. They are labelled 美味鱼干, which means 'beautiful taste dried fish'

dried fish3.jpg.

Each fish is about two inches nose to tip of tail. They are dried and whole - i.e. not gutted. 

They need salt and maybe pepper, but I tend to go with sea salt and shichimi togarishi. A cold beer does no harm either.

Edited by liuzhou
Formatting (log)
  • Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

A New York egg cream. I had never heard of this until I saw Sara  Moulton make one on public TV very recently. For those as uneducated as I was it is basically carbonated chocolate milk. No eggs are harmed. Milk, chocolate syrup and seltzer. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted these in my local emporium today and thought they sounded interesting so I grabbed a couple of bags. They were on special offer, too.

pma1.jpg

pma2.jpg

The anchovy is coated in sesame seeds and have been fried with chilli until dry and crisp. They were great. I could have done without the peanuts, though. They were completely overpowered by the fish and tasted bland. If I could find the anchovies on their own I would be a very happy man.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I have developed a serious and, no doubt unhealthy, addiction to these.

pretz1.jpg

pretz2.jpg

My local stores have them in spicy shrimp flavour, tomato flavour, pizza flavour, salad flavour, butter flavour and matcha flavour. They even have strawberry flavour and blueberry flavour. The company website also claims to have spicy chicken flavour and nori flavour - I've never seen those two.

Of the ones I can obtain, I only like the spicy shrimp (which is what you see above), although I can imagine the nori ones would be good, too.

Think I'll just open another packet. I may need counselling.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

@liuzhou

The only reason I am not addicted to the tomato flavoured ones is the cost!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Snacking on the these while holed up in my hotel room, enforced by 46 C heat.

I had a hard time trying to open the packet of chips, carry on only luggage, so no sharp objects.

It's cool to ring room service for assistance isn't it ?

Both made locally in Yangon, the Regal 7 is a cold filtration lager, the chips are Texan BBQ flavour !

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

Snacking on the these while holed up in my hotel room, enforced by 46 C heat.

I had a hard time trying to open the packet of chips, carry on only luggage, so no sharp objects.

It's cool to ring room service for assistance isn't it ?

Both made locally in Yangon, the Regal 7 is a cold filtration lager, the chips are Texan BBQ flavour !

Oishi is a Philippine brand available all over SE Asia and especially China. It doesn't surprise me that they may have a factory in Yangon.

I prefer the plain variety - potato flavour - much better than Lays. But that flavour has become hard to find here recently.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Oishi is a Philippine brand available all over SE Asia and especially China. It doesn't surprise me that they may have a factory in Yangon.

I prefer the plain variety - potato flavour - much better than Lays. But that flavour has become hard to find here recently.

I probably would prefer the potato flavour too. Didn't have my reading glasses on, Texan barbecue surprise !

image.jpeg

My daughter just dropped these off. OMG. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog