• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Ann T - LOVED (and am so totally stealing...) the Tex Mex Layered Supreme. I have leftover pork shoulder roast that was slow cooked, covered, at 275° after being rubbed with chipotle chile powder and salt. That would be a great use for some of that porky goodness.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Yesterday was Mrs Sheepish's birthday. Tomorrow is Valentine's. Next week is our wedding anniversary so something special in order. And a chance to try out 5 dishes I haven't made before.

Started with Pea and Coconut soup with Coconut Milk Foam. From "Essence". Made the coconut milk from a coconut. Another first for me. Lovely depth of flavour. Easy to do. Will do again!

5440031730_c128abbb65.jpg

Bad Beer by *Mrs C*, on Flickr

Next up, Anglesey Seas Bass with Parsely Coulis. The same recipe as Fish & Chips from "The French Laundry Cookbook", but with sea bass. And having (over)cooked the garlic chips I chose not to use them. Having had a snoop at the French Laundry at Home this morning, I see I'm not the only one to make that mistake.

5439427573_94f42412d9.jpg

Fish and Green Stuff by *Mrs C*, on Flickr

Moving on to Fillet of Roe Deer with Butternut Squash Gnocchi and Butternut Squash. From "From Nature to Plate". The gnocchi were too hard, I think because I didn't have enough squash in the mixture, and too much flour. I was trying to halve portions and halving an egg and a yolk wasn't very accurate. The squash goes very well with the venison, but like fillet of everything it doesn't have loads of flavour and I slightly over-cooked it for my taste.

5440032784_48ff0f7016.jpg

Bambi by *Mrs C*, on Flickr

Cheese course was Parmesan Custard, Parmesan Crisp and Anchovy Dressing. The Caeser Salad recipe from "The French Laundry". OK. I prefer the Roquefort trifle from the same book as a cheese dish. Actually, I prefer a couple of hunks of cheese.

5440033430_122c17b027.jpg

Cheesy Custard by *Mrs C*, on Flickr

Finally desert. I never do deserts. As Mrs Sheepish remarked, "Oh my God, you can cook a desert!" Please with this. Confit (how is it confit with no fat?) of Rhurbarb, Candied Fennel, Orange, Strawberries, Mascarpone Sorbet and Pirouette Biscuit (that I wrapped incorrectly before studying the picture).

5440034210_4e7b338f8d.jpg

Fruit Salad Thing by *Mrs C*, on Flickr

Wine. Always tricky for just two. We worked round the issue by drinking quite a lot. I don't like Champagne with food, but didn't have any half bottles of any appropriate white so we muddled through!

<5439429887_c55275efd5.jpg

Vino by *Mrs C*, on Flickr

Sheepish - What a lovely dinner. From start to finish.

Pierogi - I often make it with slow roasted pork that has been seasoned with garlic and chipotle pepper. Enjoy.

Looking forward to Halibut season opening again around March 12th. But until then I'm happy to eat what I can get. On my way home from work I made a detour down through Cowichan Bay and picked up halibut at my favourite seafood store - Cowichan Bay Seafood.

Started on a grill pan and then finished off in a hot oven. Served with a green olive relish/salsa. (Green olives, tomatoes, garlic, lemon zest, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper.

1185657002_NAZVe-M.jpg

Edited to add photo

Edited by Ann_T (log)

Shelby, very delicious looking pizzas, and the Super Bowl goodies are so good!

Ann, an incredible display of cooking skills, from baking to roasting to ---well, everything.

djyee100, the tapioca pearls were cooked in clam juice. Delicious and fun. I love the way you prepared the chicken. Your beef stew is a reminder to me to make my own soon.

Dakki, your cornish hen caught my eye, not only because it looks super, I think I also have the same plate.

Kayb, the “sort-of pissaladiere“ is nothing short of amazing, and what a great idea to recycle shrimp cocktail.

I made an early Valentine’s Day dinner.

Trying to stay healthy, so no cream, butter, egg yolks, fat, etc.

Sashimi and egg plants with lean ground turkey.

Happy Valentine, everyone!

Dcarch

eggplant.jpg

eggplant2.jpg

sashimishrimp.jpg

sashimishrimp3.jpg

sashimishrimp4.jpg

You plate everything unlike anyone I've ever seen. You have SO much talent! Beautiful sashimi.

Thanks, Dakki and Blether. I'd like to take credit for the improvement, but I'm afraid it's all due to the new camera and the talent the 'auto' button has ...

Thanks to the feedback from some of the folks here, I tried a steak and kidney pie. It worked well with the regular, and not puff pastry, crust. That's not to say puff pastry would have not worked - only that the regular worked well.

Steak and Kidney pie 01.jpg

Last night at the Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen we prepared a dinner for 8 for the winners of the drawing that was held when the we opened the kitchen.

For a main course - Cornish hen with citric, honey, wine sauce served with roasted root vegatables.

PMMK Gigi\

And for dessert individual Chocolate Chaud et Froid with fruit coulis.

PMMK Gigi\

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Pork chops, artichoke, mustard vinaigrette.

IMG_3089_cr.jpg

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I have been craving Crab for a while now and made this to try to end the craving...eating like this too often may end more than cravings LOL

Home Fries, Rib-eye Steak, Jumbo Lump Crab, Asparagus, and Hollandaise Sauce

FEB 028.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tracey, i say go for it - that dish has all my favourite things on one plate!!

Last week I cooked a rack of lamb spiced with ras-al-hanout, potato/beetroot dauphinoise, salad with a pomegranate dressing. The dauphinoise is one of my wife's favourite dishes. If you've never tried this variation then I urge you to soon. I use 2:1 ratio of spud to beet and cook it a little longer than the usual potato only classic. Keeps well for a couple of days too, we had it with steak and it was just as good.

20110209c.JPG

Yesterday, unusually for a Monday, I cooked two courses. Ok partly because it was Valentine's day but mainly I wanted to clear some room in the freezer. Yeah who said romance was dead?! I cut up some bone marrow to roast for a starter. For the main I had some frozen langoustine so made some stock in the pressure cooker with the heads for risotto and gently sautéed the tail meat. I had a lot of leftover parsley, so made some parsley oil with which to dress the plate.

20110214c.JPG

20110214d.JPG

Beautiful meals all, especially Prawncracker.

Was running a bit late from work yesterday and wife wanted surf n' turf, so I picked up:

Dry Aged Prime Ribeye (the marbeling was almost like Wagyu)

CIMG9129.JPG

3.5 pound lobster - just steamed and served with truffle butter

CIMG9123.JPG

and served hericot verts with a Bordelaise sauce to complete the dish.

CIMG9125.JPG

The steak was simply seasoned with sea salt and pepper, seared in a cast iron pan and finished in the oven. My wife claimed it was the best steak she had in her life !!

Thanks Shelby. You are too kind.

Yes, I feel honored to be in the company of so many gastronomic masters, such as and especially Prawncracker, Ann_t, etc.

--------------------------------------

For Valentine's Day, much lower budget than percyn's surf & turf.

Sous vide drum sticks on home make pasta.

And salad: Artichoke hearts, palm hearts, napa hearts with rose petals

dcarch

Valentinedrumstick2.jpg

Valentinedrumstick4.jpg

VDsalad.jpg

VDsalad3.jpg

dcarch – your razor clams are just amazing! What was the sauce? It looks rich and dark!

Rico – I’m jumping on the bandwagon about how wonderful your pictures are getting. The pastrami picture, especially. Great colors and composition. It’s very ‘vintage’ looking, somehow. Not to mention delicious looking.

Shelby – you are sighing about your weather and I am green with envy. I would give anything for a REAL blizzard! I would also like the cats, the pizza and those wonderful frizzly onions!

Miss Ann!!!!! - so glad to see you at ‘the table’! As always, your photos and food are gorgeous and delectable! That corn custard looks amazing. Any chance of getting the recipe?

kayb – that pissaladiere!!! What gorgeous color.

Bruce – missing your beautiful pictures, but still love your food!

sheepish – well, this is odd. My comment on your dinner was “what a lovely meal – start to finish.” Then I read Ann’s response. Great minds, I suppose! The cheesy custard is staring at me. Wow.

I have been a giant slacker in the kitchen lately (actually not just lately – I’m dying to get in the kitchen on a regular basis, but sh*t keeps happening). If you’d like to see Mr. Kim’s take on what has been occupying our time just lately, check out this blog post.

I have cooked a little this week, nothing very exciting, though. The other night we had chili dogs, fries, slaw and baked beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_238738.jpg

Tonight I thawed some of Mr. Kim’s chili:

med_gallery_3331_114_250057.jpg

To go with it, I made a pan of cornbread:

med_gallery_3331_114_185376.jpg

I served it with some leftover slaw from the other night:

med_gallery_3331_114_195021.jpg

We used this recipe for Deep Fried Quails with Spicy Salt

DeepFriedQuail.jpg

Oh my, robirstx, I hope those quail were for Valentine's Day. The plating looks positively. . . romantic. :blush:

emilyr - Too, too funny! I hadn't looked at them that way but I guess the romance carried over from Monday to Tuesday. :wink:

Delicious food all!

Yay for Valentines dinners.

Endive, hazelnuts, dried iberico in white cheddar-mustard dressing.

5449841666_395d759fa5_z.jpg

Jidori yolk pasta, mussels, garlic, onion, white wine, chili and herbs.

5449232243_977c2d225f_z.jpg

Fudge bar, homemade strawberry ice cream, nuts and salted caramel.

5449232847_13b72184b9_z.jpg

I love taking care of my lady :smile:

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

For Valentine's Day, much lower budget than percyn's surf & turf.

dcarch, I will gladly trade you the surf & turf for some of those delicious looking chicken.

Did you sous vide them with some spices/maridane or just plain? What temp and how long? They looked seared/grilled after.

Percy, that steak is so beautifully marbled. Love your cutting board.

Dcarch, nice plating.

Kim, Moe would be thrilled with your chili dog and baked beans. The recipe for the Corn Custard is HERE

Robirdstx Thanks for sharing the Quail Recipe. This will definitely be on the menu here soon. Moe and I both love quail but I've never had it deep fried.

Earlier this week -

1188002848_HGmMu-M.jpg

Roasted Pork Sirloin with Parisienne Potatoes and

1188002672_HPnYP-M.jpg

With mashed potatoes, green beans and cauliflower.

Last night's dinner -

1189968292_H8QTx-M.jpg

I grilled a small prime rib. Just big enough to two thick slices.

1189968415_crEBX-M.jpg

Roasted Butternut Squash.

ScottyBoy : your ideas already stolen, but that dried iberico, is that something you have further dehydrated? Wish I could persuade Mrs Sheepish to make mussels but I think I'll attempt the pasta for myself anyway!

robirdstx : is that seasoned flour coating the quail, or something else?

Robirdstx Thanks for sharing the Quail Recipe. This will definitely be on the menu here soon. Moe and I both love quail but I've never had it deep fried.

Ann_T Your welcome. We really liked the seasonings in the marinade and think it would work well with chicken wings, too.

sheepish I bought 2 legs of bellota back with me in December and I've been doing all types of stuff. This is just thin sliced and dried in a oven at 175 for 2 hours. Concentrates the flavor and I can break it up into shards or grind like bacon bits.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog