• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Harrysnapperorgans and Blether Thank you for your comments on my pie.

Thanks Emily, I used the last of my frozen rhubarb. In order to compensate for the excess moisture I added a little extra flour. I didn't measure, but it was probably a couple of teaspoons. That took care of the problem.

1198714586_dmdNv-M.jpg

Dinner last night was Broccoli and Chicken Turnovers. Made using frozen puff pastry. I poached a couple of chicken breasts, steamed some broccoli and made a cream sauce seasoned with thyme and finished with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

Ok, one last question Ann -- do you bake it from Frozen, or thaw it? And seriously everyone -- run, do not walk, to Ann's blog for her rhubarb pie recipe. I think its the best pie I've ever made. My only change to her recipe is to add a little orange zest to the pie, which I love.

As for me, I'm fighting off a cold, so last night made my favorite fend-off-illness meal -- Garlic Broth turned into avgolemono soup. Here's the recipe from the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/01/health/nutrition/01recipehealth.html?_r=1

It is so good -- it really feels like you are drinking a bowl of health.

IMG_3121_cr.jpg

Fish fry @ Dakki's this afternoon.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Weekend! Time for some cooking. Made Ann_T's Greek meatballs tonight. Wonderfully moist ground chicken meatballs covered with avgolemono sauce. Served with brown rice pilaf and salad dressed with Kraft Greek Feta dressing (lazy me!)

Lots of meatballs left. Will they freeze well, Ann? Maybe I'll just take a bunch for the staff on Monday.

gballs24483.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ann_T, your version looks a lot better than mine.

Also count me in your rhubarb pie's fan club.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I so love rhubarb! Bought a big bunch today in fact, might look into that pie. :wub:

Dinner tonight was sous vide lamb fillet - on a freekeh, preserved lemon, parsley, baby spinach, rocket and pistachio salad. Topped with garlic yoghurt and pink peppercorns. Also some intentionally-scorched broccoli, which I forgot to take a photo of.

lambfreekeh.JPG

Followed by figs roasted in honey and Pedro Ximenez sherry, with vanilla ice cream.

figs.JPG

Rico – so funny you should say that. Sardines on saltines are one of my favorite pantry meals! The family hates sardines, though, so I hardly ever indulge! Your po’ boy looks fantastic. I have to say that I’ve never even tasted canned oysters (except for the smoked ones – another one of my favorite and lonely indulgences), but if they were good, why not use them? That is really the best factor to consider.

Dakki – that picture of your chicken and mushroom taco is lovely. It could literally be a magazine shot!

Ann – gorgeous chicken – what is it stuffed with? And on MY calendar, February 23rd was a Wednesday. THAT is a weeknight meal for you??? Or is the Canadian calendar different :laugh: ?

Blether – love the looks of that Mac/Cheese/Cod cassserole!

percyn – lobster salad :wub: !!! It looks exactly perfect – simple and not too ‘messed with’!

rarerollingobject – I really, really want lamb like that for dinner tonight!

Dinner the other night:

med_gallery_3331_114_364541.jpg

Still trying to work down stuff in the pantry/freezer/etc. This was a chili/cheese dog casserole. Leftover chili, dogs from a Christmas package from Omaha Steaks (???) that were in the freezer, a good amount of leftover Cowboy beans from a local BBQ place, a can of navy beans and the end of some Cheddar drying out in the cheese drawer! I served it on some Jiffy corn waffles with some leftover slaw:

med_gallery_3331_114_286331.jpg

The casserole was definitely one of those “greater than the sum” things. It was really, really good and I always love corn waffles. The slaw, however, was a little tired!

I’ve hardly cooked this week, other than that. We finally got Jessica moved into her new apartment yesterday. And now we are starting to get into the nitty-gritty of plans for the England/Paris trip in May, so I don’t know when I’ll be really cooking again. I did make breakfast this morning – we got our order of Benton bacon in the mail Friday, so it was bacon and eggs on rolls today!

Ann: I'll have to check your blog for the fish batter. Yours do not look greasy at all!

Jeff: Looking forward to your finished lamb shanks. We so seldom get shanks, and they are usually New Zealand skimpy on the meat.

Sunday - last lesiurely supper until next weekend.

Chicken braised with onion, ginger, coriander, paprika, dates, and cilantro, served with roasted baby taters, sweet potato, fennel, along with broco-slaw.

cdates24499.jpg

The sauce was very flavourful and the chicken moist. The fennel and sweet potato worked well with the flavours.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Jeff – just gorgeous! I assume that is polenta? My very favorite thing to serve with lamb shanks. Especially if there’s gonna be SAUCE :wub: !

I redeemed myself tonight and had a lovely time doing it! Dinner tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_194197.jpg

Rib eyes with sautéed mushrooms and a red wine pan sauce and broccoli.

Cheddar cheese soufflés:

med_gallery_3331_114_32510.jpg

And Ann T.’s (eG) delectable Gorgonzola garlic bread:

med_gallery_3331_114_59472.jpg

Gonna braise some lamb shanks today. Here is the before. The after will come after they are done.

lambshanks-20110227-153221.jpg

And this is how it ends

braisedlambshank-20110227-200339.jpg

Jeff – just gorgeous! I assume that is polenta? My very favorite thing to serve with lamb shanks. Especially if there’s gonna be SAUCE :wub: !

I redeemed myself tonight and had a lovely time doing it! Dinner tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_194197.jpg

Rib eyes with sautéed mushrooms and a red wine pan sauce and broccoli.

Cheddar cheese soufflés:

med_gallery_3331_114_32510.jpg

And Ann T.’s (eG) delectable Gorgonzola garlic bread:

med_gallery_3331_114_59472.jpg

Well, hold the gorgonzola (anyone here read Piers Anthony?), but I'd certainly LOVE all the rest; Kim, that souffle is a thing of beauty; jsmeeker, I do LOVE me some lamb shanks!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"