• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Percyn – Love that lobster with tomalley. Great looking Crown’s fried chicken and juicy looking Juicy Lucy.

Kim – A well cooked steak should be simple. That’s one amazing bacon wrapped pork loin, pork on pork, how interestng! Bacon jam! It seems to me you guys like pork a lot.

Zeemanb – fantastic first duck.

Norm – delicious ribs. Italian sausage with rib trimmings sounds like a great lasagna .

robirdstx – Slipper Lobster Tails was plated beautifully and that is a superb looking Carnitas and Avocado salad.

Rarerollingobject – I am enjoying your blog. Thanks you.

----------

Nothing special, just fried oysters.

Dcarch

Oyster3.jpg

Oyster2-1.jpg

I think fried oysters are pretty special. What's the other fried stuff on the plate?

Beautiful presentation as always.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Calamari is Italian for squid.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Juicy Lucy topped with onions slow cooked for 24 hrs.

CIMG9921.JPG

CIMG9923.JPG

"F-" me harder....*THAT* is a burger.

I can't think of much I wouldn't sacrifce for that. I'd even offer up The Grrrlz.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Well, I finally made bacon jam. Between kayb in the breakfast thread and Jerry’s blog, I’ve been hearing about it for months and decided I couldn’t stand it anymore. It is TRULY fantastic. Thank you for providing the recipe, kayb! I told Mr. Kim that I would have to quit work and stay home and make bacon jam on a regular basis, so we wouldn’t ever run out.

Way to go! I'm telling you, I have no idea why the east side of Aisle 9 at Price Chopper doesn't go....ketchup, mustard, relish, BACON JAM, mayo...... this stuff just makes sense as a part of daily life. It sounds decadent, and it is, but you render way more fat out of the bacon than if you were just to fry and eat it. Plus, a little bit goes a LONG way. Total healthy food, lol!

Welcome to The Matrix.....you just shifted your reality by making that stuff.

I'm telling you. Bacon jam is the duct tape that holds my world together. Try it on a cheese biscuit. Put it on a grilled pork chop or burger. Spread it on a waffle. Eat it on crackers!

Kim, glad you liked it. I've been hitting mine pretty heavy of late.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

OH YUM!! that burger looks amazing.... and the fried oysters - wow!!! DCarch - what is your prep for the oysters? Are they just egged, breadcrunbed and fried? They look like perfection itself!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

... Those are Chinese deep fried shrimp chips.

... and the rings are squid, and the round, flat breaded things are... scallop slices ?

The rings are onion rings and the flat round things are potato. That makes this dish nutritionally balanced? Not really? I never deep fry scallops.

------and the fried oysters - wow!!! DCarch - what is your prep for the oysters? Are they just egged, breadcrunbed and fried? They look like perfection itself!

Thanks. Yes, typical mix, except bread crumb was homemade.

dcarch

Norm – I am too hot to even think about cooking tonight (I had tuna salad for dinner), but I wish I had a plate of that lasagna! It looks fantastic!

Jerry – beautiful sear on your duck! And the sauce sounds great. I agree – it would be good with pork chops, too!

Well, I finally made bacon jam. Between kayb in the breakfast thread and Jerry’s blog, I’ve been hearing about it for months and decided I couldn’t stand it anymore. It is TRULY fantastic. Thank you for providing the recipe, kayb! I told Mr. Kim that I would have to quit work and stay home and make bacon jam on a regular basis, so we wouldn’t ever run out. Bacon Jam:

med_gallery_3331_114_102114.jpg

I made Jake’s bacon wrapped pork loin for dinner the other night:

med_gallery_3331_114_219767.jpg

We liked this very much, Jake! The mustard/syrup glaze is wonderful!

Along with red cabbage and Rice A Roni (a guilty pleasure in the Shook household):

med_gallery_3331_114_116515.jpg

And cheese/chive rolls with BACON JAM:

med_gallery_3331_114_52619.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_137900.jpg

As you can see, I totally cheated and instead of making Jerry's poppers, I used Sister Shubert's rolls. I brushed them with melted butter then sprinkled with chives and Cheddar.

Our aperitif:

med_gallery_3331_114_261879.jpg

Peach nectar, sparkling wine and Grand Marnier. Very good. Please ignore the cobwebs in the window :blush: . We can’t figure out how to get to them to remove them. When we put the window up – they slide up; when we put the top window down, we can’t get to them :angry: .

The jam and cheese rolls are all I can think about right now. Those look delicious!

I love the cobweb--perfect for upcoming Halloween ;)

Everything is looking wonderful on this thread, as usual.

Last night's dinner was Halibut Grenobloise based on a classic French recipe; I used the version from Les Halles. The fish is sautéed in butter, then more butter is added once the fish is flipped over. The sauce is primarily butter with capers, lemon juice, parsley, and croutons that were extra tasty as they soak up some of the sauce. This dish still manages to taste relatively light (!). :blink: (It must be the acidity from the lemon juice and capers that is tricking my senses). I served the fish on top of yellow wax beans and pencil asparagus from my CSA.

Normally this recipe calls for skate wing but it's hard to find, so I used local halibut instead.

5987107458_24e9c99e9c.jpg

This is one of our favorite ways to have chicken cutlets. Sorry, not the best plating, but delicious.

Chicken%252520Breast%252520with%252520Veggies.jpg

Lightly breaded and pan fried boneless chicken breast (pounded thin) with tender, crisp yellow squash, zucchini, white onion, and sweet bell peppers, topped with a bit of grated pecorino romano and, from my garden, fresh boxwood basil leaves.

I was given a cookbook for my birthday and made a recipe from it called Malaysian Spiced Beef. The rice is medium grain in a rice cooker with a packet of Sazon Goya Con Azafran. The beef is braised with onions and a mixture of paprika, curry powder, red pepper and coconut milk.

DSCF3324.jpg

Recipe at

http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

I was given a cookbook for my birthday and made a recipe from it called Malaysian Spiced Beef. The rice is medium grain in a rice cooker with a packet of Sazon Goya Con Azafran. The beef is braised with onions and a mixture of paprika, curry powder, red pepper and coconut milk.

DSCF3324.jpg

Recipe at

http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/

This just caused me to drool.

percyn – I adore fried chicken on waffles. It is also fantastic on cornbread waffles – nice mixture of salty and sweet. And drizzling with a little black pepper honey ain’t bad, either! If you will make the Juicy Lucys, I’ll bring the bacon jam!

dcarch – yes, we are big pork people. We have to wear baggy pants to hide our curly tails :laugh: . I am also mad about fried oysters and am wondering about making some soon. Last Christmas I miscalculated and bought twice as many oysters as I actually needed for the stuffing and my dad and I had a FEAST!

Shelby:laugh::laugh::laugh: we always say that at Halloween. It becomes somewhat less appropriate at Christmas. You really need to make some bacon jam. It will improve anything.

Scotty – I cannot for the life of me find kayb’s post where she gave me the recipe, but here is a link to it on my webpage – I’ve credited it to kayb! I just love panzanella – such a perfect summer dish and really great for using up bits of this and that.

Elise – your halibut looks and sounds gorgeous! I just went and got my Les Halles off the shelf and added that recipe to my list of ‘to tries’.

We ordered pizza the other night. And since we had leftover pizza the next night:

med_gallery_3331_114_244750.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_44975.jpg

While this was a nice combination, I’d have preferred it on a white pizza – I don’t much care for the combination of tomatoes and eggs. We are thinking of a bacon jam and egg breakfast pizza.

I wonder if I have very strange pets, or if this happens to anyone else....

My lab and my Brittany have begun to pick the just beginning to get ripe fruits and veggies from my garden. They actually sniff out the tomatoes that have a beginning tinge of redness. Cucumbers? Yep. Watermelon? Yep. They bring them all to me....slightly poked with tooth holes.... sigh.

So, the other evening, here comes Roxy--the Brit--rolling a football sized black diamond watermelon to us. Not even close to being ripe. My husband was SO mad.

Anyway, I brought it inside, hacked off the outer layer and had an idea.

Fried green watermelon!

P7240057.JPG

I don't know if it's been done before...probably has, but it was a first for me. It's really good. No need to add any sugar to it because it's got a touch of sweetness. I added a lot of chili pepper to my breading mix and we dipped in ranch dressing.

Along with that, my husband smoked the cutest little pork roast. Very juicy and tender.

P7240055.JPG

P7240058.JPG

P7240060.JPG

P7240064.JPG

Also had beer brats a while back

P7180054.JPG