• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Tonight I did a butterflied leg of lamb on the Weber grill outside. I used a recipe from one of Tom Douglas's cookbooks-"Bengal Spice Lamb." The lamb is marinated in all sorts of Middle Eastern spices and fresh herbs and olive oil.

I served the lamb with a cucumber raita, steamed rice and some grilled zuchinni that I dressed with olive oil and sherry vinegar.

gallery_41580_4407_79554.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_72038.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_47823.jpg

For dessert I had vanilla ice cream, Tillamook brand, with some fresh raspberries.

gallery_41580_4407_48909.jpg

Originally I thought of putting the raspberries between layers of pastry like a Napolean. Then I got lazy and instead of the Napolean I decided to just cut out some 'cookies' from the puff pastry dough. I brushed each puff pastry cookie with melted butter and sprinkled the baked cookies with powdered sugar. They actually turned out wonderful, light and puffy and crispy. (I think for the Holidays I'll make them and stuff them with some kind of jam).

gallery_41580_4407_10175.jpg

David, what a good idea to use the puff pastry like that! If I can get motivated I might make homemade ice cream and garnish with that!

Last night we lasagna

gallery_54689_4781_430991.jpg

with and asparagus lettuce salad topped with blue cheese crumblies

gallery_54689_4781_214299.jpg

David, what a good idea to use the puff pastry like that!  If I can get motivated I might make homemade ice cream and garnish with that!

Last night we lasagna

Kill me now, that lasagna looks delicious! Give me some info on your 'lasagna' recipe. What kind of cheese is that melted on the top?

David, what a good idea to use the puff pastry like that!  If I can get motivated I might make homemade ice cream and garnish with that!

Last night we lasagna

Kill me now, that lasagna looks delicious! Give me some info on your 'lasagna' recipe. What kind of cheese is that melted on the top?

LOL @ "kill me now" :biggrin:

I had some awesome fresh mozz. cheese. I sliced thick slabs of it --very gooey :raz:

I reserve the term 'kill me now' when something looks so delicious I want to eat it, then die and go to food heaven. I use the phrase quite often actually. Just about everything looks good to me.

I reserve the term 'kill me now' when something looks so delicious I want to eat it, then die and go to food heaven.  I use the phrase quite often actually.  Just about everything looks good to me.

Yeah, me too! I read this thread and want to eat the house LOL!

Thanks for the comments, all.

Shaya--everything looks amazing!  You need to do a pasta-making demo.  How did you use that mould-type thing to make the pasta?  It's just for the ridges, I assume, so how did you make the shape?

And that florentine!!  I love florentines--what recipe did you use?

The pasta is rolled on top of the board; the stick helps to form the tube shape.

The florentines are gorgeous but they are not mine...they are from a French bakery in town called Avenues Gourmandises.

Beautiful lamb, David.

Welcome Shelby. I love lasagna.

Tonight I was once again inspired at the farmer's market. Bought this beautiful rainbow chard and made fricos, which are from the Friuli region of Italy. More here. Also had a T-bone and striploin as I am still trying to source out a good local organic beef purveyer.

Rainbow Chard

gallery_41870_2503_5460.jpg

Chard Frico - blanched, sauteed with olive oil and onion, panfried with fruilano cheese

gallery_41870_2503_31333.jpg

Dessert was David Lebovitz's roasted banana ice cream. HIghly recommended. It was a special dessert as my little guy told us it was "Zipper-Mouth's" birthday; he turned 2 1/2 today. And yes, we did sing Happy Birthday... :raz:

Roasted Banana Ice Cream

gallery_41870_2503_24529.jpg

Edited by Shaya (log)

David: That lamb looks worthy of a killing. :smile:

Shaya: Aww – happy half-birthday to, um, zippermouth. Roasted banana ice cream sounds scrumptious.

We will have house guests for much of July. Since they are not terribly adventurous eaters, we decided to have a last fling from Thai Food: stir-fried beef with coriander, cumin, chile jam, and deep-fried shallots; trout braised with caramel, celery, and fish sauce (not pictured); grilled banana chile salad with poached chicken and shrimp; cucumber relish; and jasmine rice. More pictures and information on Thai cooking at home (clicky).

gallery_42956_2536_42989.jpg

Everything looks so good!

Last night: Lamb chops, wild rice and fresh steamed asparagus

Marinating chops

gallery_54689_4781_1321803.jpg

Plated

gallery_54689_4781_95790.jpg

Oatmeal raisin cookies for dessert

gallery_54689_4781_1262041.jpg

See the pickling thread--I pickled a bunch of baby corn from our fields yesterday

gallery_54689_4781_182052.jpg

Hi everyone :)

Sorry for the blurry pictures, my camera is out of batteries and I forgot to charge some :P

On Saturday, we had a 1/2 can of coconut milk to use up, and I had gotten some nice cilantro and sugar snap peas at the market, so I made coconut saffron rice and shrimp and vegetables in a sort of jury-rigged coconut chili broth. With lots of cilantro, because I love it.

gallery_54928_4824_74521.jpg

Then yesterday after reading Domestic Goddess' post I got a hankering for something mexicanish, but I had no tortillas. Fear not! I just made some.

gallery_54928_4824_40391.jpg

They're a little shapeless, but tasty anyway :P Inside went beef with lots of cumin and some other stuff, tomatoes, more red peppers, garlic scapes because I had them, cheese and of course more cilantro.

gallery_54928_4824_11173.jpg

Kate

Last night:  Lamb chops, wild rice and fresh steamed asparagus

Marinating chops

Plated

See the pickling thread--I pickled a bunch of baby corn from our fields yesterday

Where, oh where, did you get that blue spatter ware plate-dish-bowl-whatever? It's TOO beautiful! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

shaya I have the same pasta board but need help with those pastas!!

tonight we did pork chops on the grill that i marinated in oj, evoo, fresh oregano and parsley and garlic, s&p- i drizzled them with some aged balsamic when they came off the grill

also grilled corn and served with butter and parsley and some ricotta gnocchi I had in the freezer with brown butter and sage

701082301_d199051731.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhhh, how I wish I had a digital camera !! :sad: Maybe for my birthday.....

Anyway, dinner tonight was so good, even without pics I had to jump in and contribute my first to this thread.

It was hotter than the hinges of Hell here today, so when I got home, and the house was like an oven after being closed up all day, the last thing I wanted to do was turn on the oven or the stove burners. Salad sounded like the way to go.

So, chopped romaine, chopped orange bell pepper, sliced radishes, chopped sweet onion, cubed extra-sharp cheddar, some about-to-go-South cauliflower trimmed of icky parts and broken into very small flowerets, a small can of drained, oil-pack tuna and some croutons (packaged, sadly, but still decent). All tossed with Ina Garten's basil-Green Goddess dressing.

A good rosemary baugette and some sweet butter. Trader Joe's chocolate gelato for dessert. Cool (cheap) sauvignon blanc in the glass.

I'm happy.

And in absolute AWE of everyone else who posts here. I want to come to ALL of your houses for dinner. :wub:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Last night:  Lamb chops, wild rice and fresh steamed asparagus

Marinating chops

Plated

Where, oh where, did you get that blue spatter ware plate-dish-bowl-whatever? It's TOO beautiful! :wub:

Judiu, my husband got them over the internet and gave them to me for Christmas--I use the crap outta 'dem :biggrin:

Ohhhhhhhhhh, how I wish I had a digital camera !! :sad:  Maybe for my birthday.....

Anyway, dinner tonight was so good, even without pics I had to jump in and contribute my first to this thread.

It was hotter than the hinges of Hell here today, so when I got home, and the house was like an oven after being closed up all day, the last thing I wanted to do was turn on the oven or the stove burners.  Salad sounded like the way to go.

So, chopped romaine, chopped orange bell pepper, sliced radishes, chopped sweet onion, cubed extra-sharp cheddar, some about-to-go-South cauliflower trimmed of icky parts and broken into very small flowerets, a small can of drained, oil-pack tuna and some croutons (packaged, sadly, but still decent).  All tossed with Ina Garten's basil-Green Goddess dressing.

A good rosemary baugette and some sweet butter.  Trader Joe's chocolate gelato for dessert.  Cool (cheap) sauvignon blanc in the glass.

I'm happy.

And in absolute AWE of everyone else who posts here.  I want to come to ALL of your houses for dinner.      :wub:

Your salad sounds wonderful--and so does the wine!

eskay, welcome! your dinners look great (i love cilantro, too :smile: )

2 recent dinners:

Giant fusilli with zucchini and creamt bleu d'auvergne sauce, topped with bits of crispy pancetta

gallery_21505_2929_70118.jpg

meatballs stuffed with egg in chipotle chile sauce, mexican rice with fried plantains

gallery_21505_2929_39149.jpg

I think there´s a bit of a mexico-bug going around :smile:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Tonight Chicken Enchiladas al horno

gallery_38003_4832_467952.jpg

Recipe from Bon Appetite June 2007 cover.

gallery_38003_4832_1366392.jpg

Plated.

gallery_38003_4832_52032.jpg

with black beans and epizote.

Jmahl

P.S. Chufi, te admiro, what cooking, what photography.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

A little bit of catching up to do, since moving up to the new cottage for the summer.

The first night, I made beef stroganoff

gallery_6080_205_7427.jpg

One night, my son made chili cheese enchilladas:

gallery_6080_205_22605.jpg

Blue cheese and bacon devilled eggs I made for a cocktail party up here:

gallery_6080_205_80523.jpg

My son made potato skins for an afternoon nibble one day:

gallery_6080_205_73572.jpg

And tonight it was rack of lamb, with a dijon, garlic and parsley crust, with leftover grilled potatoes that I sliced and fried in butter and freshly shelled peas with butter.

gallery_6080_205_57287.jpg

We've also had occassion to do a pork roast, a prime rib on the spit and a smoked pork butt on the smoker.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I love the “Mexico bug” that’s going around, and welcome back to Marlene. For July 4th I smoked pork spare ribs with a Memphis dry rub . . .

gallery_42956_2536_46162.jpg

. . . and made collard greens with smoked ham hocks.

gallery_42956_2536_1751.jpg

Mrs. C baked skillet cornbread, made devilled eggs, and mixed up dark & stormys. Our house guest made stovetop beans and a second batch of ribs in the oven. Watermelon for dessert, plenty of leftovers for tomorrow, and fireworks in the driveway between thunderstorms.

gallery_42956_2536_32110.jpg

I'm new at taking pictures of food  :biggrin:

Last night I made the Grill Roasted Clam Linguine and the Spanish Style Grilled Vegetables with Breadcrumb Picada from the July issue of Bon Appetite. Both were yummy!

gallery_46943_4831_816076.jpg

Nice shot- one can tell that the linguine was just perfect (always one of my favorites).

I also smoked some ribs tonight, and for the first time in a long time I just said "whatthehell" and grabbed the camera at the last second, and I guess I'm following through on that attitude by actually posting the hasty photo. These were really good, fwiw- smoky but not too much so, and tender in the same way.

gallery_21237_2573_41937.jpg

Shelby- I am officially jealous of your dill growing abilities. I grow about a dozen herbs regularly but cannot get my dill to be anything but leggy. I'm sure it was great on that lamb. It is something I'd love to use with more regularity.

It's been a while since I've posted to this thread and, jeez, you folks are all amazing. I've got some catching up to do but even the last few pages have been a real treat to look through. I'm looking forward to the rest.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."