• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Thanks everyone!

As for the stuffed pattypans:

I blanched them first for about 10 minutes (they were pretty big). Then I softened some shallots in butter, added parsley, salt and pepper, finished with a little white wine which I let cook a bit. Then I added bread crumbs and let them soak it all up. I tossed this mixture with chunks of cheddar (the more the better). I had to bind it a bit with egg after adding the cheese to the mixture. Then I hollowed out the squash (as much as possible without compromising their structural integrity, stuffed and baked them for about 10 minutes at 400 F.

The pizza on the left is a white, with garlic anchovy oil as a base, cheese, yellow tomatoes, and some beet greens I had, sauteed with tons of garlic.

Getting them round is actually pretty easy--I learned it from a Julia Child show I watched on the internet, featuring Roberto Donna, here.

All you have to do is take a rounded ball of dough, press down through the middle of it with your index and middle fingers of both hands together like they're marching in line. Then, when you get to the end of the circle, split your fingers out and walk them around the dough, gently pushing out, until they meet again at the top. Then repeat. After that, you just stretch the disk using your knuckles, making sure to keep stretching it in a uniform fashion. At this point, its hard to mess up because the gluten in the dough should be developed enough so that it won't stretch to much at one pull. Its all in the Julia/Donna clip. I hope the link to it works, since this is the first time I tried to post a link and I'm not sure.

Edited to add: The Roberto Donna video in which he actually does the shaping is the Pizza Margherita one, I think.

Edited by saucée (log)

josh

it was something crazy like 95+F in Seattle yesterday so dinner was as much no cook as possible!

Mint Julep for TallDrinkOfWater and a Test Pilot for me served with homemade hummus and pita chips

788999324_4cc7424309.jpg

then it was so hot we decided a 2nd cocktail was in order! mai tai's

788999394_0a19dde7a5.jpg

grilled corn, garlic bread (not pictured) and fresh dungies from my fish market earlier in the day!

788999452_4cef54b02e.jpg

Finally had a chance to cook dinner at home, and it was simple and good:

gallery_15557_2797_10669.jpg

Chili rubbed pork with a dollop of sour cream, grilled zucchini, and tossed salad.

It really hit the spot.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Jamie Lee and Saucee – Welcome to Dinner!

Marcia – They may be simple, but your grilled zucchini look so good.

Mild dinner week, continued: Javanese chicken curry with fried shallots; stir-fried broccoli with garlic and soy bean paste (Susan’s “baby poop” :smile: ); eternal cukes; and jasmine rice. Details about the curry on Cooking With 'Cradle of Flavor' (click).

gallery_42956_2536_12116.jpg

ooohh those zucchini look great! I never think to make them into sticks like that!

tonight for cocktails we tried out a champagne punch recipe I'll be serving at a wedding shower for eG'er Della on Sat! I'm glad we tested it as it did need some joojing! :smile:

then dayne grilled as I was making things for said shower-

flank steak marinated in evoo, balsamic, rosemary, garlic, shallots &b s&p; asparagus and pan con tomate- WA Lemberger in the glass.

794944726_b129838777.jpg

espressos after and now off to see Ratattoui (sp)

it was something crazy like 95+F in Seattle yesterday so dinner was as much no cook as possible!

grilled corn, garlic bread (not pictured) and fresh dungies from my fish market earlier in the day!

788999452_4cef54b02e.jpg

Beautiful looking dungies! Were they as big as they looked in the picture? The ones in Sobeys are $7.99/lb, and smallish.

Nice plating of the flank steak. :smile:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Fried some leftover steamers in cornmeal last night...

gallery_16643_1028_43844.jpg

More clams! This time a littleneck ceviche (shallot, serrano pepper, garlic, cilantro, lime juice)

gallery_16643_1028_17021.jpg

Main course: Walkerswood slow-cooked Jerk Chicken, jamaican rice&peas, crazy slaw, kale braised in Worcestshire Sauce with chix stock, and a little corn bread.

gallery_16643_1028_33005.jpg

Check out our cool ceramic version of classic TV dinner containers! :biggrin:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

dejah- these were about 1.5-2 lbs each which is perfect size for these crabs. bigger and they tend to have a little different taste, not as sweet. mine were also $7.99 lb!

Wendy, did you like the movie?  I saw it last Friday and loved it.

it was quite cute but I still don't want any rats in my kitchen! it kind of creeped me out at times !! :shock:

I am in Halifax for the summer and constantly eye the catfish in the market, mainly due to its low, low price. I'll admit I've been dubious, but maybe I'll give it a try.

So many good dinners here, very inspiring.

Tonight we had something different (for us) since my twin children turned two years old. We had a surf and turf: beef ribs and sea catfish (aka seawolf, wolf eel, Atlantic cat) Never had the fish before, it was very nice, white and sweet like haddock. I probably went for it based more on price than reputation. It was $11/kilogram and I have never met anyone who has bought, ordered, coked or otherwise eaten it.

And until I taste otherwise I believe pork to be the better rib, beating beef for price and taste.

gallery_42214_4635_87209.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_57238.jpg

those are button mushrooms with sharp cheddar, young poatoes and grilled bread.

the fish was done in a foil pouch built up as follows:

gallery_42214_4635_55513.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_182627.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_226361.jpg

the oranges were dominant, spinach and yellow zuke and red onion looked and tasted well enough. Probably didn't need soy sauce and olive oil in the pouch, but cracked black pepper made it happen for me.

The kids were not too into it, favouring the strawberry dessert (no pic) We are having a real more kid-friendly birthday deal in 10 days or so. I predict I will photograph and post more food at that time.

Edited by Khadija (log)

I have GOT to replace my dig camera!

Dinner last night was PNW Copper River Salmon... sauted in EVOO (sorry RR haters!) with copious amounts of fresh garlic, red onion and shallots. I sauteed the aromatics until I was sure I'd gone too far.

In essence, the slightly browned aromatics were "deliciouso"! I added the salmon filet, sauteed it until just medium rare, topped it with the sauteed garlic/shallot/onion mixture, finished it with lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley, and PERFECTION!

Served it with jasmine rice cooked in chix stock and steamed pea shoots.

Damn, that was good eats! :raz:

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

It has been extremely hot in the Pacific Northwest, particularly East of the Cascade Mountains in Oregon, all through Idaho and into Montana. Hot.

I didn't want to cook much, so I made my version of Caesar Salad. I do it the old-fashioned way by making my own croutons and putting both anchovies and raw egg in my dressing.

gallery_41580_4407_46986.jpg

For dessert I concocted a sort of brownie 'sundae.' I made brownies the other night so I broke up the leftover brownies into chunks. I used Tillamook dairy vanilla bean ice cream and drizzled the ice cream and brownie chunks with milk chocolate sauce. Oh yeah, and a couple of delicious maraschino cherries. I love maraschino cherries. May not be 'gourmet' but I sure like them.

gallery_41580_4407_44815.jpg

dejah- these were about 1.5-2 lbs each which is perfect size for these crabs. bigger and they tend to have a little different taste, not as sweet. mine were also $7.99 lb!
Wendy, did you like the movie?  I saw it last Friday and loved it.

it was quite cute but I still don't want any rats in my kitchen! it kind of creeped me out at times !! :shock:

My bf had the same problem!

I am in Halifax for the summer and constantly eye the catfish in the market, mainly due to its low, low price.  I'll admit I've been dubious, but maybe I'll give it a try.

I read about some seafood enthusiasts somewhere (I don't think it was on eGullet, but I believe they are in the UK, I could be wrong) and their mission was to systematically scour all available seafood outlets for the best value items. That means: what has great taste and nutrition, but is really affordable? What is the best kept secret?

I am always amazed when good stuff is so cheap and lesser stuff is so pricey. Around here I would say the great deals include pork tenderloin and farmed Atlantic salmon. But beef tenderloin - forget it, it is woefully overpriced and under aged.

Chicken used to be the food of kings, lobsters were used to fertilize Nova Scotia potato crops, and so on.

The "sea catfish" was definitely a new treat - it was moist and sweet. I recommend it to anyone who likes haddock or halibut or the like. I bet it would be lovely in a batter with fries, too.

But like the monkfish, maybe you ought not to image google it before you dig in.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

That larb looks great, I might have to try that (never had it before, but heard a lot about it).

Last night:

Chicken with Riesling sauce, shelled sweet peas with herb butter, mushroom risotto

gallery_55092_4871_750347.jpg

Peach tart

gallery_55092_4871_548336.jpg

I should have used bigger plates since these were a bit crowded, but they were new so I had to use them.

ETA: proper punctuation.

Edited by saucée (log)

josh

That larb looks great, I might have to try that (never had it before, but heard a lot about it).

Last night:

Chicken with Riesling sauce, shelled sweet peas with herb butter, mushroom risotto

gallery_55092_4871_750347.jpg

Peach tart

gallery_55092_4871_548336.jpg

I should have used bigger plates since these were a bit crowded, but they were new so I had to use them.

ETA:  proper punctuation.

that peach tart looks amazing! can you give the recipe?

Sure--here's how I made the tart:

I made a pate brisee with a pinch of salt, pinch of suger, 1 stick of cold butter, 1 cup of flour combined quickly in the food processor with the addition of as little of cold water as I could add to make it just come together. Let it rest for about an hour, roll it out, and put it into the tart pan, then into the freezer for about 45 minutes.

I preheated the oven to 400F and cut up the peaches which I macerated for a couple of minutes (not too long, though, they'll turn mushy). Then I arranged them in a concentric pattern, using two layers of peaches. The bottom layer turns almost to the consistency of jelly, the top holds its shape. When it came out after about 45 minutes, I strained some peach jam I got from the farmer's market, loosened it a bit of water, and used it as a glaze.

I like tarts because they seem to be easier than covered pies and they are easier to make look this good. All it takes is some photogenic fruit.

josh

Sure--here's how I made the tart:

I made a pate brisee with a pinch of salt, pinch of suger, 1 stick of cold butter, 1 cup of flour combined quickly in the food processor with the addition of as little of cold water as I could add to make it just come together.  Let it rest for about an hour, roll it out, and put it into the tart pan, then into the freezer for about 45 minutes.

I preheated the oven to 400F and cut up the peaches which I macerated for a couple of minutes (not too long, though, they'll turn mushy).  Then I arranged them in a concentric pattern, using two layers of peaches.  The bottom layer turns almost to the consistency of jelly, the top holds its shape.  When it came out after about 45 minutes, I strained some peach jam I got from the farmer's market, loosened it a bit of water, and used it as a glaze.

I like tarts because they seem to be easier than covered pies and they are easier to make look this good.  All it takes is some photogenic fruit.

Thank you! Did you peel the peaches?

Edited by tryingsomethingnew (log)

Wow, great meals!

Chef Bradley, that cheese plate looks to die for

Saucee, what a beautiful tart!

A few recent shots

Oysters

gallery_54689_4781_632184.jpg

Paella with prawns, scallops, squid and razor clams

gallery_54689_4781_350260.jpg

Smoked salmon on pepper water crackers

gallery_54689_4781_319607.jpg

Venison cheese burgers with fresh tomatoes from our garden

gallery_54689_4781_818649.jpg

I need ideas for dinner tonight--I have a ton of beets! Any suggestions?

Thank you!  Did you peel the peaches?

Nope.

Venison cheese burgers with fresh tomatoes from our garden

gallery_54689_4781_818649.jpg

Great looking burger-I've never had a venison cheeseburger, do you mix it with a little bit of beef or eat it straight?

After some drinking, I wanted something fast. This was eaten really late at night, but I hadn't eaten since afternoon, so I'm calling it dinner ( :cool: ).

Buckwheat crepes with gruyere and ham, fries

gallery_55092_4871_200941.jpg

The crepes and fries took a bit too much color, but they hit the spot.

josh