• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

It was a typical hot Kansas weekend, so we fired up the smoker

gallery_54689_4781_1123386.jpg

We cut up a chicken and marinated it in Morton's Quick and Tender, then seasoned it up with garlic, onion, red pepper flakes and poultry seasoning

gallery_54689_4781_830124.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_488695.jpg

Here's the chicken all smokey with crispy skin

gallery_54689_4781_755399.jpg

Made asparagus pasta salad and baked beans to go with the chicken

gallery_54689_4781_1007532.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_103603.jpg

And, finally plated

gallery_54689_4781_336293.jpg

Shelby~

What is Morton's Quick and Tender?

(Chicken looks delicious!)

Kathy

http://www.finosalt.com/consumer/products/...tenderquick.htm

It's a salt cure. We love to marinate chicken in it--we even leave it over night if we've planned ahead enough lol!

Everyone's dinners look wonderful as usual. My boyfriend and I are thinking of trying the atkins here next week, so we are going carb crazy, to get some out our systems. So here are some pics from this and last week: Starting off last Tuesday or Monday, with hamburgers (with our homemade pickles), and Tyler Florence's Ultimate Onion rings. The rings were okay, since I did the recipe to a T, by the time it was time to eat, they were cold, and didn't taste very good reheated...other than that, pretty tasty.

gallery_45680_4699_705290.jpg

Then last Weds or Thurs, we had chicken stir fry. Here is the stir fry of the veggies, I liked the colors in the pic:

gallery_45680_4699_1247926.jpg

Here's the chicken ala America's Test Kitchen:

gallery_45680_4699_771314.jpg

Here's the final plate:

gallery_45680_4699_425944.jpg

On another night, I just felt like having dessert, which isn't very often, so here are the port brownies with Dr. Bob's chocolate chip, hot fudge and raspberries

gallery_45680_4699_843084.jpg

Last but not least, last night's and tonight's dinner and probably tomorrow night. My boyfriend's yummy lasagna. Gotta get our carbs in before we start atkins.

gallery_45680_4699_780518.jpg

mmmmm all looks good but special shout out to these!

Last night we started with summer rolls with shrimp and peanut sauce.  buckwheat noodles with sesame and chives

gallery_51874_4337_333588.jpg

beautiful!!

Made asparagus pasta salad and baked beans to go with the chicken

gallery_54689_4781_1007532.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_103603.jpg

what a great idea! i love asparagus and pasta salad- thank you!!

last night we had a friend over- started with pegu clubs, fried chickpeas with rosemary and procuitto wrapped bread sticks.

then salad of green beans, radish and basil

slow roasted Yukon River King Salmon with fresh herb buerre blanc and roasted asparagus wrapped in bacon.

1999 JKCarriere Pinot Noir in the glass

Nigella Choco Hoto Pots :biggrin:

Last night, a ricotta, spinach, and walnut roll (surely there's a better name for this rather than 'roll'). I made 6 of these and froze 5 for later, and kicked myself today when I realised I had a sweet potato to use up -- some sweet potato would have been a perfect addition.

gallery_38684_2093_33549.jpg

And tonight, fettucini carbonara. Ever since I've got my pasta making routine down with the food processor I've been making it a lot, and carbonara's probably my favourite simple way to treat fresh pasta.

gallery_38684_2093_19658.jpg

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Wendy: Thank you! Our garden has produced asparagus a lot longer than normal--I guess because it hasn't been so hot. I love steaming them in a bit of water with lemon pepper just until tender and throwing it in a pasta salad.

Doctortim: Your pasta looks to die for. I tried a few years ago to make some--failed miserably!

Wendy:  Thank you!  Our garden has produced asparagus a lot longer than normal--I guess because it hasn't been so hot.  I love steaming them in a bit of water with lemon pepper just until tender and throwing it in a pasta salad.

thank you!!! tonight I made some pasta salad with asparagus, spicy capacola, pecorino, roasted shallots and parsely- we'll take it for lunch over the next 2 days!!

636223872_9bc251e08e.jpg

tonight we also had pasta! fettucinin with arugula pesto and garlic/chili pepper grilled shrimp

636223788_0760a32f1d.jpg

Tonight, I stuffed fresh morels with Spanish tetilla. Sauteed them in butter with a bit of sliced garlic. Added rapini-stuffed ravioli. Glass (or two) of good Zinfandel.

Finished the evening with a pour of 8-yr-old bourbon and a small bit of extra dark chocolate.

These pastas have me inspired. Tomorrow, after making some mead, I'll be trying out some fresh pasta dough.

Tim

Wendy:  Thank you!  Our garden has produced asparagus a lot longer than normal--I guess because it hasn't been so hot.  I love steaming them in a bit of water with lemon pepper just until tender and throwing it in a pasta salad.

thank you!!! tonight I made some pasta salad with asparagus, spicy capacola, pecorino, roasted shallots and parsely- we'll take it for lunch over the next 2 days!!

636223872_9bc251e08e.jpg

tonight we also had pasta! fettucinin with arugula pesto and garlic/chili pepper grilled shrimp

636223788_0760a32f1d.jpg

Wow this looks really good. Shrimp are definitely in my top 3 favorite food items!

So many delicious meals here as usual. I always read this thread, but I rarely post mostly because I forget to take pictures. My husband and I both had our birthdays last week, so we had a party. I remembered to take pictures, but then I almost forgot to post them.

little tomatoes stuffed with succotash

gallery_44218_3482_21903.jpg

little potatoes stuffed with shrimp

gallery_44218_3482_26519.jpg

tiny black bean burgers and beef burgers on gougeres. The black bean burgers are on the left, the beef burgers are on the right. (I tried like hell to get a non blurry picture of these, but it just wasn't working.)

gallery_44218_3482_23564.jpg

pastrami spiced gravlax

gallery_44218_3482_12870.jpg

I also made spinach artichoke dip, fruit salad, white cake with maple frosting, and a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache, but there are no pictures of those. I built the whole menu around the burgers because I got the idea for the gougere buns one night when I was drunk. The gravlax was a huge hit and almost the whole 4 lb piece got eaten.

Live It Up: Happy birthday to you and hubby. Looks like you had a delicious (and labor-intensive) feast!

Tonight we had caramelized minced pork from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen, lettuce and green mango salad with cilantro-lime dressing, and very ripe mangos. Details on Vietnamese Food (clicky).

gallery_42956_2536_17089.jpg

Live It Up - Happy birthday to you and hubby! I love the tiny food presentation. Drooling over those burgers...

Bruce - I do hope you would have continued health always so you won't miss any day posting in here. Your dinners are always wonderfully colorful and delightfully appetizing. That mango looks like the mangoes from the Philippines! (-> the best in the world).

Today, supper was Chicken Afritada with Steamed Rice and Bruce's eternal cukes :wub:

gallery_48583_3741_286442.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Live It Up - Happy birthday to you and hubby! I love the tiny food presentation. Drooling over those burgers...

Bruce - I do hope you would have continued health always so you won't miss any day posting in here. Your dinners are always wonderfully colorful and delightfully appetizing. That mango looks like the mangoes from the Philippines! (-> the best in the world).

Today, supper was Chicken Afritada with Steamed Rice and Bruce's eternal cukes  :wub:

gallery_48583_3741_286442.jpg

That looks really yummy! What's in the Chicken Afritada?

Last evening, TV Dinner, since we're doing our Boston Legal now and are finding it hard to stop... oh my goodness, what excellent Shatnerage. And James Spader, pure gravy.

Bolognese sauce I'd made over the weekend with the overage from a big old chuck roast ground for burgers, on farfalle, and iceberg salad with creamy Italian dressing. Baguette.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Recent Dinners inspired by the farmer's market...

Pan Roasted Veal - Bacon Sage Wrapped Loin and Chops

gallery_41870_2503_33116.jpg

Veal Loin with Salad of Radicchio, Chevre, and Roasted Farmer's Market Yellow Beets - the most tender veal I have ever had

gallery_41870_2503_20392.jpg

Farmer's Market Mushrooms - Maitake and Oyster - you can read more about the many health benefits of Maitakes here.

gallery_41870_2503_9003.jpg

Potatoes and Mushrooms baked with Cheese, Salmon Grilled to Rare

gallery_41870_2503_65135.jpg

Took advantage of the weather for some grill'n

Blue Cheese Burger - Stuffed with raw milk blue cheese which was warm and gooey inside. Burger brushed with some chipotle bbq sauce.

gallery_21049_162_22354.jpg

Shaya, that veal looks delicious. I love Mitake mushrooms with eggs, without even realizing the health benefits.

Edited by percyn (log)

Doddie: Why thank you so much, and back atcha! So, do tell about the chicken afritada – it looks delicious – and I’m interested to hear about Philippine mangos, too.

Shaya: Beautiful dinners as always.

Tonight we made chorizo fried rice with canned tomatoes, canned red curry paste, eggs, fish sauce, scallions, and a whole (albeit small) head of garlic. Eternal cukes, reasonably good supermarket tomatoes, and lime wedges on the side.

gallery_42956_2536_47707.jpg

Speaking of citrus, my birthday presents from Mrs. C :wub: arrived: dwarf kaffir lime and Meyer lemon trees. We had a potted kaffir lime tree at the old house, but it was infested with scale insects so we left it behind. I’m really looking forward to having a constant supply of kaffir lime leaves again.

gallery_42956_2536_26326.jpg