• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Last night was take out, but tonight will be Beef Tenderloin roasted on a spit over hot coals, basted with a butter garlic sauce. Coleslaw, macaroni salad, dinner rolls, Chocolate Mousse again for dessert. Big family bbq.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Last night (special night):

Tuna 'carpaccio', pea shoots, wasabi cream, ponzu drizzle.

Monkfish rolled in aged Serrano ham, oven-roasted figs, pommes-anna, oxtail jus.

Vanilla risotto, carmelized pears.

Tonight:

hand-chopped chuck burgers, sweet potato chips, waldorf salad.

Saturday night:

sweet and sour okra and chickpeas with tamarind and lots of garlic

potatoes and onions sauteed with mustard seeds and ginger

Japanese rice

dessert:

the cake for the last time! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Grilled langoustine tails with chipotle, ganished with chives and few scatterings of lemon pesto.

Linguine nests topped with arugula, poached quail egg, and a few lardons. (fits on a fork)

Salad of wilted chiffonade of beet greens with a parmesan tuile and a few salmon roe.

Bone in loin pork chops with a gojuchang (Korean chile miso paste) glaze.

Buttery haricots vert with a few fingerling red potatoes and tuna tartare.

Cheeses (creamy chevre with frsh black pepper, 12 year Canadian cheddar, camembert cru, Stilton) with peeled red grapes tossed with balsamico tradionalizale, thin slices of fresh baguette.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Sauteed sweet Italian peppers with onions...

sautepeppers.jpg

With Arthur Avenue Sausage, Balthazaar baguette and Corn on the Cob.

sausagepeppers.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mmmmmm, nice sangweech indeed. :biggrin:

Did a late brunch for us today (after very late dinner last night at Otto):

huevos rancheros with eggs over easy, white corn tortillas toasted over the open flame, D'Artagnan chorizo, homemade salsa verde and bought (Old El Paso) salsa rojo. The beans were (canned :shock: ) red kidney beans mushed up with homemade pickled onions and roasted garlic, chipotle paste, Mexican oregano, and sherry vinegar. That was six and a half hours ago and we're still not hungry for dinner.

Grilled langoustine tails with chipotle, ganished with chives and few scatterings of lemon pesto.

Linguine nests topped with arugula, poached quail egg, and a few lardons. (fits on a fork)

Salad of wilted chiffonade of beet greens with a parmesan tuile and a few salmon roe.

Bone in loin pork chops with a gojuchang (Korean chile miso paste) glaze.

Buttery haricots vert with a few fingerling red potatoes and tuna tartare.

Cheeses (creamy chevre with frsh black pepper, 12 year Canadian cheddar, camembert cru, Stilton) with peeled red grapes tossed with balsamico tradionalizale, thin slices of fresh baguette.

As I sit here eating Fritos!

You freakin' rock.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Boyfriend cooked some kind of sole, starts with a P, pan-roasted in a roll with an olive paste. Tomato, basil, and spinach on top. I made Middle Eastern Couscous with herbs de provence. (and washed the dishes).

Made some delicious southern fried chicken using a recipe from Paula's Home Cooking on Food Network.

The recipe calls for you to dip the chicken parts into a mixture of eggs, water and an alarmingly large quantity of Texas Pete's Louisiana hot sauce (1 cup), but the end result is some very, very tasty and only mildly spicy fried chicken.

And even though it's a total pain to heat up the cauldron of molten peanut oil, I'm sure I'll be making this recipe again and again.

Friday night (had friends over):

Chips and Salsa Mexicana

Jicama cut into batons and served sprinkled with cayenne and lime juice

Chilled Poblano soup

Chicken legs marinated in achiote and citrus and baked in foil, served with minced Serrano chiles, marinated onions, salsa verde, and flour tortillas

Chard sauteed in Ancho chile oil

Molten chocolate cake thingies

My weight in beer and some wine, plus more beer, followed by beer

Saturday night (fed my girlfriend, who'd been cruelly forced to work on a Saturday):

Chilled avocado soup topped with grated goat gouda and ground Ancho

Pan seared Delmonico steaks served over caramelized sping onions with a tequila - Black Trumpet sauce

Asaparagus sauteed in duck fat

Oven-roasted home "fries" with ground chipotle, lime zest, and sea salt

About a gabillion bottles of red wine

Sunday night (fed my parents, who'd just returned from South Carolina):

Seared, rare duck breast with Black Trumpet wine sauce (lots of Black Trumpets at the Farmer's Market this week)

Quinoa pilaf with pepitas and shallots and a orange vinaigrette

Sauteed spinach

Arugula salad with red spring onions and a lemon vinaigrette

Water

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Had some some friends over for dinner on the WE. Gave them:

Gougres - to have with drinks

Pan fried Red Mullet fillets with Celeriac and apple remoulade

Slow roasted leg of lamb, seasoned with nutmeg, larded with anchovies and braised with Seville orange juice. Fondant pototoes. Corsican minted zucchini fritters and green asparagus and lemon juice.

Salad of rocket leaves, fresh figs, Procuitto St. Danielle and shaved Parmesan

Warm tart of Rhubarb

Plate of cheese and fruit

Was fun.

Steamed pea greens with fresh shelled peas and cubes of pillow tofu with red mint.

Braised lamb shoulder, onions, assorted mushrooms, and red bell pepper with a Thai ginger and curry sauce.

Steamed scallion buns with a gojuxchang (Korean chile miso paste) dipping sauce.

Char siu pork (mine is not sweet, much shoyu and ginger).

Seaweed congee with gomasio.

Ten kinds of kimchi (purchased).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

this weekend I was in Cleveland, OH...

Cleveland has a wonderful food market that's open year round, called the Westside Market. Much like NYC's Chelsea Market and various Greenmarket rolled up into one, and housed within a cavernous building with a tiled ceiling faintly reminiscent of Guastavino's magnificent interior, the Westside Market offers all manner of food from a diversity of farm fresh produce at wholesale prices, to artisanal meat products, dairy, pastries and breads, desserts, and more. It was the first time I had ever seen sweet and sour red cabbage pierogi and ricotta pierogi, for example. Red bell peppers, four per $2. Cauliflower, $1.50 for one head. Garlic, four heads for $1. Honeybell oranges, six for $1. 1/2 lb. of oyster mushrooms for $2.50. Amazing prices and the quality of produce was outstanding. Too bad this doesn't exist in NYC. (Maybe other members are familiar with this establishment?)

Saturday: roasted tomato, onion and black bean soup. Roast plum tomatoes, onion and garlic with EVOO and kosher salt. Add some carrots for sweetness. Combine with simmering chicken stock when the vegetables are done (be sure to peel the garlic first). Puree and return to pot. Add one can of black beans. Add diced seeded tomatoes. Simmer for ten to fifteen minutes, adjust seasoning and serve. I occasionally spike this with a dash of cayenne pepper. Avocado butter (just mashed avocadoes folded with a little unsalted butter) or sour cream is especially great with this soup. Try it with toasted pumpkin seeds for a change of pace.

Also: rigatoni with puttanesca sauce (we had forgotten to get crushed tomatoes, thinking we had tomatoes in the house. I was forced to substitute Prego, but managed to survive, thanks to the availability of Kalamata olives on hand); roasted brussel sprouts with homemade raspberry vinegar; Jim Dixon's wonderful roasted cauliflower (I am a recent convert as this was my first introduction to JD's cauliflower...yum!!!) and spiced roasted bananas over vanilla ice cream. Bottled water.

Sunday -- recovered from bad airline food; brown rice, broiled tofu, steamed broccoli. Green tea.

Cheers,

Soba

this weekend I was in Cleveland, OH...

Cleveland has a wonderful food market that's open year round, called the Westside Market.

Oh Cleveland :wub:

I discovered the Westside Market very late in life, oh sure I knew about it, but hey it was over on the Westside after all and us Eastsiders would never be caught dead on the West side! I have grown up now and find the Westside market the best place to my grocery shopping while visiting my parents in Cleveland.

Anyway Monday dinner:

lemon-garlic chicken thighs

coucous salad with roasted kabocha and green beans with mint and a lemon-honey-sriracha sauce

leftover potatoes

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Pan-fried catfish sandwiches with red leaf lettuce, onion, and lots of mustard

Pickles

Chocolate clusters from Costco

I should have made lemonade to go with it. I have fresh lemons and simple syrup after all...

Here's what I -- wait, I mean Jimmyo -- had last night.

Cheap French wine (Vin De Pas) called Le Carre. Wasn't awful, wasn't great

Orange/Asian chicken from January Food and Wine Magazine

Baked Potato

Broccoli

Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream (not pictured)

dinnersunday.jpg

Malawry I have to remember to make lemonade, too. I juiced the lemons and forgot! And the simple syrup, well, it's a staple.

Last evening we finally tried steaks a local supermarket (Ralph's, for those in CA, or, I guess, the West) has been touting as "aged." At least 14 days, the label claims, a claim which did not fill our hearts with promise and confidence, understatedly.

Curiosity, plus the desire to be able to easily purchase a decent steak, PLUS a steak-loving guest joining us for dinner all combined to make it time to see if that dog would hunt, and so.

What looked best in the "aged" department was T-bones, a cut I normally don't like but everybody else does, and these had a nice big tenderloin eye really more Porterhousey. Nice and dry, as in not sopped with moisture as bad beef can be, and visible tracery of marbling. So, OK.

Superhot mesquite fire, grill grill grill, season the turned-up cooked side, grill grill grill. Meanwhile, frites getting their second dip in the old hot oil, Romaine salad getting its buttermilk-based dressing, LBB baguette a-heatin'.

And, they weren't bad! In fact, good! Nice supercharry outside, cherry-red interior. Pretty! Tender tenderloin side, the NY side a little more resistant but with tons of flavor. A suggestion of actual tang, and behaved very well during the cooking, too. Of course this first outing could well be only a chimera, so we'll be going for those reproduceable results right quick here. Overall, the weeknight-supermarket steaks to beat.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter