• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Last night was my SO's first chance to cook in a while, so she had a bit of fun with it:

Grilled venison medallions

Grilled asparagus

Grilled bread with sauteed black trumpet mushrooms and shallots

Arugula salad with (really nice!) tomatoes from SO's grandmother's garden in FL, olives, capers, spring onions, lemon, and olive oil.

Served with iced tea.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Slow roasted leg of lamb, seasoned with nutmeg, larded with anchovies and braised with Seville orange juice.

can you elaborate?? Was it roasted or braised? It does sound very interesting.

Thanks

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Tuesday night:

chicken thighs braised with dried porcini mushrooms, garlic, rosemary and tomatoes

served over orzo

small antipasto platter of olives and vegetables slices with a cream cheese based herb dip

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Grilled salmon with a mustard-maple glaze

Warm potato salad with nicoise vinaigrette, red onions and peas

Lemon pound cake

It was a great night to be grilling, we all hung out on the patio chatting and drinking Ting.

In honour of the eGRA public release, tonight was an eGRA recipe dinner.

Mixed greens with pixelchef's Orange Jalapeno Vinaigrette

My Sesame Seed Pork Tenderloin

JAZ'sAsian Coleslaw which I must admit is better than mine!

And Elizabeth_11's Double Fudge Frosted Brownies

And because I had some flour tortilla's from last night's dinner I made some of these Tortilla Chips for a snack later!

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to the database so far :smile:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Bone-in pork loin chops with citrus-rosemary pan sauce

Sauteed leeks with a tomato-parmesan vinaigrette

Argula, spinach, and basil leaf salad with lemon vinaigrette

Served with iced tea and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Eh. It was okay.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Tonkatsu, panko'd & fried pork cutlets. Nice Nishiki rice from the cooker. Sake-simmered carrots, spinach with Torakris's sesame sauce, Japanese pickled cabbage I made. Kikkoman Tonkatsu sauce from the bottle continues to rule.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Slow roasted leg of lamb, seasoned with nutmeg, larded with anchovies and braised with Seville orange juice.

can you elaborate?? Was it roasted or braised? It does sound very interesting.

Thanks

FM

Adam I requote here because I too am interested in what FoodMan was asking. Selfish? Perhaps. I've been called worse. ANYway.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Sorry, I missed the original query.

OK it was my addaption of a Robert May recipe (English 17th C. see link).

One extremely good leg of lamb was larded with about six anchovies (salted type, desalted in milk O/N), it was then rubbed with a smallish amount of nutmeg/salt/pepper and covered with slices of Seville (Bitter) oranges. It was then placed in a close fitting roasting tray and covered closely with foil. Roasted for four hours at 160.C.. Basting with more seville orange juice occasionally + meat juices.

Anchovies make the lamb taste gamey, but not like anchovies. Seville orange perfumes suface of meat, and gives a sour/bitter edge.

Robert May would have most likely used a mixture of spice (Nutmeg alone is more of a 18th C. thing) and based with Seville orange and claret

Robert May

does dinner in our cafeteria of horrors count? this is what happens when I work late. :blink:

Monday: cod stuffed with crabmeat (a la seafood newburg), basmati rice, peas and mushrooms, honey glazed roasted carrots. Poland Spring. bananas.

Tuesday (cafeteria redux): marinated flank steak, roast potatoes. salad (not saying much considering the salad bar sucks but then again, I wasn't too keen on their flaccid green beans or overcooked spinach.) Poland Spring. At least the macadamia brownies were good.

Tonight is probably going to be takeout. Not feeling cook worthy lately.

Soba

Weds night:

chicken breast and niniku no me (garlic stem) stirfry with ginger, sake and lots of black pepper

JAZ's spicy coleslaw (this was really wonderful!!! :biggrin: ) http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r329.html

konnyaku with sesame oil-soy-red pepper

dessert:

yuzu-cha mushipan

a steamed cake made with yuzu "marmalade"

Edited by torakris (log)

konnyaku

Gah.

Well, the rest sounds lovely.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Small salade frisee with double-smoked lardons and a small poached chicken egg.

Shattered chicken (skin and meat pulled from the bone) with a Chow Chiu chile and garlic glaze atop Japanese rice mixed with an equal quantity of wild mushrooms (morels in resplendent dominance).

Haricot verts sauteed with much butter and pepper, wrapped in bundles, tied with scallions with a lemon pesto dipping sauce.

Cube of hiyayako tofu with coffee essence and toasted walnuts.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Helena, it's just pureed lemon with romano cheese and pine nuts, salt and black pepper, EVOO. Sometimes a bit of mirin to taste. Easy. Quite nice hot or cold.

Shattered chicken (skin and meat pulled from the bone) with a Chow Chiu chile and garlic glaze atop Japanese rice mixed with an equal quantity of wild mushrooms (morels in resplendent dominance).

Haricot verts sauteed with much butter and pepper, wrapped in bundles, tied with scallions with a lemon pesto dipping sauce.

Grilled cheese sandwich.

Thursday dinner:

risi e bisi rice and pea "soup"

tomato and mozarella tart with a basil-garlic crust

dessert:

left over mushi-pan

both recipes were from The Complete Italian Vegetarian by Jack Bishop

Friday dinner:

I will be watching my friends 2 kids (ages 7 and 10) while she is on business in London, so the next week will be very kid friendly! :biggrin:

sauteed chicken thighs with teriyaki sauce

crinkle cut french fries

cherry tomatoes

green bean and unknown citrus fruit salad

Japanese rice

furikake

dessert:

ice cream

elaboration on this one PLEASE!!!!

Hm? Round black bowl. White square of silken tofu. Coffee essence around. Toasted walnuts.

Is it the coffee? It's just strong French roast coffee, rendered down, sweetened with mirin to taste. I suppose one could use Camp.

edit:

Claire, grilled cheese sandwiches can be sublime. My favourite right now is sourdough with smoked caccacavallo and porcini paste.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

As always, this is quite a menu, Jinmyo! I join the chorus that wants to know more about the hiyayako tofu .... and the shattered chicken dish .... please?

Last night, an impromptu dinner party cooked from Hot Sour Salty Sweet:

Steamed dumplings of minced pork and salted radish, served with a shoyu/rice vinegar dipping sauce

Khmer chicken curry

Sauteed morning glories with garlic, fermented bean paste, and fish sauce

Jasmine rice

Water, Gewurtztramminer, and Two-Buck Chuck

Mochi (purchased) for dessert

Everything turned out great, it was a fun evening.