• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

From Joy of Cooking to Modernist Cuisine

Crash potatoes?

Essentially boiled whole potatoes then smashed with the potato masher to level them and open their surfaces. Oiled, seasoned and baked in a hot oven to yield a nice contrast of crispy bits and tender potato. Popularized by The Pioneer Woman blog.

They don't get any better than being made with duck fat!!!!

I gotta ask - was the blanket dog good? The beans look home made, I am impressed!

Thanks for sharing all your cooking with us, it has inspired me to make some of those potatoes for dinner tomorrow.

You and Anna make a great team :smile:

Crash potatoes?

Essentially boiled whole potatoes then smashed with the potato masher to level them and open their surfaces. Oiled, seasoned and baked in a hot oven to yield a nice contrast of crispy bits and tender potato. Popularized by The Pioneer Woman blog.

I first saw these in Fine Cooking.

Crash potatoes?

They don't get any better than being made with duck fat!!!!

Duck fat is genius. Going to try that next time!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene is right - the recipe for the potatoes was published in Fine Cooking in January 2007. I've been making them ever since and they are delicious.

Kerry & AnnaN - I'm in awe of all the cooking (and eating) you have been managing to do. This is a very enjoyable read.

Here is the Bakewell Tart inside:

bakewell inside.JPG

A couple of wedges went home with the care giver and I shall reluctantly try to send more with Kerry to share at the clinic this afternoon. I am enjoying it far too much for my already-challenged waistline.

Will not be doing much in the way of baking or cooking today as Kerry is not working tomorrow which means no one to take the bounty. And we will be heading off to Sudbury to restock our supplies and will most likely be eating on the road. So I think I will stick my head into a couple of recipe books and see what I would like to tackle next week.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I was popular after lunch when I took the remainder of the Bakewell tart to work - made up for the rather sad Impossible Buttermilk pie - to which I had neglected to add the sugar! Apparently the girls where having great fun watching everyone cut themselves a piece then laughing at them when they took a bite.

Last evening I put together some chocolate - we were heading off after work today to Burt Farm's to meet up with Max and Johanna Burt to get some meat. I get additional brownie points (and tours of the processing area) if I bring chocolate. I like to find something in an appropriate mold (those of you who have followed previous trips will recall the pigs) - so this year I found some cows that I hadn't made before. Under the cow is a cat - but unfortunately the white chocolate flaked off over the cat's face - I'll have to make them some better ones - Johanna really liked the idea there was a cat there.

DSCN3417.jpg

Also included in the little chocolate care package was some poprock bark - mixture of apple and strawberry, some peanut clusters, some gianduja layers with nougat and a few chocolates. Funny I didn't notice how bad the bubbles were until I took a close up picture.

DSCN3428.jpg

We came home with maple syrup, honey, sirloin, flanken cut short ribs, a couple of nice pieces of tenderloin, a porterhouse and a lovely 4+ pound chicken.

As irritating as it must have been to realize the omission of sugar in the pie I really appreciate your sharing the snafu with us. Good to know even very experienced bakers can have an "oops" when rushed. The chocolates as always are impressive - I do not have that kind of patience and skill.

Crash potatoes?

I first saw these in Fine Cooking.

I first encountered the style in Fine Cooking, too, way back in 2004. Potatoes Fondantes by Jacques Pepin, in 2004, I think. The idea is the same, though the preparation is different. Potatoes Fondantes are much better than most of the crash potato recipes I've seen since the potatoes have more flavour.

So, will you ladies have time to do some "fishing" while you are there on the Island? What's in season, what's the local seafood like?

I'm not a big fish eater - shrimp from the frozen case suit me just fine - but as a child when we came up here in the boat I did most of the fishing (and the cleaning of the fish, and cooking the fish - just didn't eat them).

Perch, walleye, bass are what I recall getting most.

There are lots of fish farms in the area that catch, clean and fillet the fish for you! That is how I like to fish on the Island.

Rainbow trout is the main fish that is farmed. Whitefish is caught and processed (not farmed) on the Island and apparently the majority of the whitefish is shipped to New York.

For many years you couldn't find any whitefish on the island commercially as all of it was shipped of the island or sold to local restaurants but in the last few years they have made it more available in the local grocery stores. I don't like fishing (really, it is the worms and other bait that gets me...ew!) but I would buy a fillet or two in the store or from the farmers market fish truck.

Smoked fish seems to be abundantly available any time of year on the island.

It seems every weekend in the summer have some sort of a fish derby as a fundraiser for various charities...a good way to get out fishing with the family and the charities benefit too!

I was popular after lunch when I took the remainder of the Bakewell tart to work - made up for the rather sad Impossible Buttermilk pie - to which I had neglected to add the sugar! Apparently the girls where having great fun watching everyone cut themselves a piece then laughing at them when they took a bite.

I'm so happy you two are sharing this month with us! There must be something in the water up there; the no-sugar Impossible Pie sounded familiar, so I looked back at your Manitoulin travelogue from last year:

Oops - apparently I forgot to put the sugar in the impossible pie!

Patty

Whitefish is caught and processed (not farmed) on the Island and apparently the majority of the whitefish is shipped to New York.

I wish some of the whitefish made it to my part of New York. I know we see it on the rare occasions we shop in Buffalo, and also on the somewhat less rare occasions when we shop in Rochester. Alas, I've never seen whitefish sold in CNY, in any of my usual shopping grounds.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I'm so happy you two are sharing this month with us! There must be something in the water up there; the no-sugar Impossible Pie sounded familiar, so I looked back at your Manitoulin travelogue from last year:

Oops - apparently I forgot to put the sugar in the impossible pie!

Funny - I had that same vague memory!

So today Anna and I headed to Sudbury for some retail therapy. There were probably a dozen things on our list that we absolutely had to get - beyond that we figured we'd just see what we could find. We didn't NEED anything else. Well we ended up with quite a bit of stuff.

We stopped and had lunch at My Thai Palace reported here on the LWL thread.

Stops included Bulk Barn, a lovely little european deli and food shop, Paris Natural Foods, Costco, Homesense, the liquor store, Stop Restaurant Supplies, the Salvation Army Thrift store, the Jarrett thrift store, Value Village, Liquidation World and Dollarama. Followed by the Metro grocery store.

DSCN3442.jpg

DSCN3443.jpg

DSCN3445.jpg

DSCN3446.jpg

The Eggstractor is a joke for one of the girls at work. She's eating low carb and complains about peeling eggs - I suggested she blow the eggs out of their shells - this will help!

DSCN3447.jpg

DSCN3448.jpg

DSCN3449.jpg

DSCN3450.jpg

DSCN3451.jpg

DSCN3452.jpg

DSCN3455.jpg

DSCN3456.jpg

DSCN3459.jpg

Grabbed some commercial Jamaican patties at the grocery store and had them for dinner to compare to the ones I've been making.

DSCN3461.jpg

So I'm in the liquor store today - and ask the young man putting away bottles where I would find the bourbon. He looks at me with a blank look. I said "it's a spirit", he says "you mean wine?". "No" I say, "a spirit, like rum or rye or brandy". That's when I noticed the 'American Whiskey' sign on the other side of the room and saved both of us any further frustration. I can see not knowing the names of all your products - but how can you work in a liquor store and not know what bourbon is?????

in the second picture up there is a spatula-like item thats reddish. one of those 'fish' type spastulas but this one has a rubber edge the same color as the handle

Id like a lot more info on this as I have to get one soonest! a single pic?

many thanks continue

So I'm in the liquor store today - and ask the young man putting away bottles where I would find the bourbon. He looks at me with a blank look. I said "it's a spirit", he says "you mean wine?". "No" I say, "a spirit, like rum or rye or brandy". That's when I noticed the 'American Whiskey' sign on the other side of the room and saved both of us any further frustration. I can see not knowing the names of all your products - but how can you work in a liquor store and not know what bourbon is?????

I think you may have gotten some summer help or something....must be new. I know my DH has to take courses while working at the liquor store and I think Whiskey's and Bourbon was the 4th or 5th course. Kids these days don't seem to take interest in the non-sweet or non-caffeinated drinks.

A sin like unto this is calling Jack Daniels a bourbon.

in the second picture up there is a spatula-like item thats reddish. one of those 'fish' type spastulas but this one has a rubber edge the same color as the handle

Id like a lot more info on this as I have to get one soonest! a single pic?

many thanks continue

Funny you should mention that - I was just about to post a picture of my NEW FAVOURITE fish spatula!!!!!

It works beautifully in a non stick pan - beautifully!

Someone is going to Sudbury Tuesday and she will have instructions to pick up the other ones I decided not to buy (what an idiot I am). I had a second one in my hand (one to leave up here - one to take home) - then thought - but what if the silicone is too floppy and I don't like it. What an idiot! Hope they are all still there. Anna wants one, I want a second and I suspect the one who picks them up will want a third. If there are 4, I'll get your address!

DSCN3464.jpg

DSCN3470.jpg

Hope that handle is food grade!!!

I think you may have gotten some summer help or something....must be new. I know my DH has to take courses while working at the liquor store and I think Whiskey's and Bourbon was the 4th or 5th course. Kids these days don't seem to take interest in the non-sweet or non-caffeinated drinks.

Kid was clearly young - likely summer help for sure.

They were sampling coolers at the door - we didn't try any as we don't really care for them. The couple who did complained they were way too sweet.

I cant get two? a R hand and a L hand both to use with the R hand

these are no longer made? ooooooooooooooooooooooooh so bumbed out!

so its agreed ( time code stamped) # 4 and 5 might be for Me?

:wub:

Edited by rotuts (log)