• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

From Joy of Cooking to Modernist Cuisine

I cant get two? a R hand and a L hand both to use with the R hand

these are no longer made? ooooooooooooooooooooooooh so bumbed out!

so its agreed ( time code stamped) # 4 and 5 might be for Me?

:wub:

Still made I think. Never seen a sinister fish spatula but always believed they should be made left and right.

I'm pretty sure there weren't 5 - but if there is...

Here it is on Amazon.

were they 18 bills your way? ill have to stop at Bed and bath and see if they have them

there are R and L fish spats. the L are hard to find.

i have None! but the puppy you found in *** graphite *** might be getting a home at My Place.

much curiosity price Up North

glad The Amazon hopes to save me 5 cents (US)

I had 4 bananas approaching the end of life (I'll confess - I bought enough so I knew this would happen). I wanted to make the banana dulce de leche pudding I'd made at home before I left.

DSCN3490.jpg

Bananas, nilla wafers, amaretti biscuits.

DSCN3491.jpg

Pudding with DDL, eggs and cornstarch in the thermomix.

DSCN3495.jpg

Ready for fridge where the cookies will soak up the moisture and become cakey. Used whole eggs rather than yolks - won't bother with the meringue.

You Lunch Ladies seem to live Quite Large Up There.

thermomix? Oooooooooooooooh!

but do you have a Paco Jet :

http://www.jbprince.com/ice-cream-machines/pacojet-with-6-beakers.asp

a Combi-oven:

http://www.alto-shaam.com/products/combitherm_ovens/combi_ovens.aspx

Blast Chiller:

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/beverage-air/cf031af/p516607.aspx

well Im verry sorry for you.

I on the other had have None of these things. I only know about them as I am a serious student of

Great British Menu they have them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Menu

Poor Us !!!

Eggsperiments in Eggstraction.

First you take the pointy end of the egg and apply it to the sharp object on the stand.

DSCN3478.jpg

Followed by bashing the rounded end of the egg on the counter.

DSCN3479.jpg

DSCN3481.jpg

Then the egg is placed rounded end down in the stand, and the bellows placed over it.

DSCN3482.jpg

DSCN3484.jpg

Brute force is applied (over and over - reestablishing the egg's position after each failure).

DSCN3489.jpg

Helps if the egg is fully hard boiled.

We tried again with eggs that were fully cooked. First egg - nothing!!! Too round and fresh we figure.

Second egg required about 15 applications of the bellows, a bit of making sure the membrane was broken through on both ends and a move to a lower table after both trapezius muscles started to spasm.

DSCN3498.jpg

Not a rousing success. But good for a lot of laughter.

DSCN3499.jpg

I will fill you in over the next day or so with some of the stories I brought back with me from Sudbury.

Here’s the first one – the case of the missing pepper mill.

The condo where we stay in Manitoulin is rented out during the year to various people and as a consequence some things have a habit of going walkabout. This time it appeared that the pepper mill had taken a hike and so one of our top priorities on our trip to Sudbury was to find a replacement pepper mill. You can see the one we found here and a very nice pepper mill it is too.

peppermill.jpg

Of course, almost as soon as we got back to the condo we found not only the suspected missing pepper mill but a perfectly serviceable second one which was hiding very close by. Now we have 3 peppermills! :laugh:

Then there is the case of the multiplying red wine vinegar. High on my shopping list was a bottle of red wine vinegar and so on one of our very first stops I grabbed a bottle and stuck it in the car. Of course, I did not cross it off my list. Consequently I made sure to grab a bottle on our very last stop. Then, on returning to the condo and trying to find a place to stash two bottles of red wine vinegar…………. you guessed it – there was already a bottle in residence. :hmmm:

Perhaps the most amazing thing I recall from our trip was seeing cartons of self-heating MREs in Costco. I can’t begin to tell you how tempted I was to grab a carton. However, at approx $40 a pop, for I think, 12 MREs, it seemed an extravagant way to satisfy my curiosity. Not sure I will be able to resist if they are there the next time I visit though

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Now Anna and I are really not cocktail types - however we did have the bottles of Aperol and Lillet we purchased at the LCBO yesterday. A little eG searching led us to a cocktail that used both with gin (something we had in the house) - so we put an ounce of each together, shook with some ice. No bitters to be found anywhere in town. We topped up with a bit of fizzy water, a squeeze of lemon and orange. Quite tasty.

DSCN3501.jpg

For dinner a caesar salad and kalbi cut ribs - Anna had marinated them with sesame and soy (and some chili I noticed at one point) and we finished them off on the mini BGE.

DSCN3505.jpg

Roasted a couple of figs stuffed with goat cheese, drizzled with a bit of honey - we actually went back and added some Saba which went even better with the goat cheese than the honey.

DSCN3507.jpg

These figs with saba look beautiful!

I want to try this when figs start showing up at the farmers' market. What kind of goat cheese was this?

Just the no name stuff from President's Choice in the supermarket.

Rounds this morning - made Figgy Buckwheat Scones. Got distracted making the dough yesterday and put in 2 tsp of salt instead of 1/2 tsp - fished a bunch out before adding the 2 tsp of baking powder the recipe called for - which then meant I forgot to put the 70 grams of sugar in there. But they were fine without the small amount of sugar - the fig filling is plenty sweet.

DSCN3510.jpg

These figs with saba look beautiful!

I want to try this when figs start showing up at the farmers' market. What kind of goat cheese was this?

Just the no name stuff from President's Choice in the supermarket.

Oops - apparently I was way off base. We got the chevre in Costco and it's Woolwich unripened. Link to it here.

Rounds this morning - made Figgy Buckwheat Scones. Got distracted making the dough yesterday and put in 2 tsp of salt instead of 1/2 tsp - fished a bunch out before adding the 2 tsp of baking powder the recipe called for - which then meant I forgot to put the 70 grams of sugar in there. But they were fine without the small amount of sugar - the fig filling is plenty sweet.

DSCN3510.jpg

Which cookbook did this recipe come from? They look tasty, and sound healthy! You could always offset the lack of sugar by dipping them in chocolate! :biggrin:

I don’t know if any of you noticed this book that we picked up in Sudbury:

Takeout Cookbook.jpg

Here’s a better shot of the cover and the T of C.

cookbook cover.jpg

TOC.jpg

It was meant as a joke and I fully intended to take the mickey but here’s the really scary thing about this book – it makes an awful lot of sense and seems to see into a future when take-out will seem logical to all but a few of us obstinate people who think we should still prepare the food we eat! The book has a couple of pockets for take-out menus, cards to fill out evaluating the service and intended to be handed to the delivery person. It also apparently had refrigerator labels for take-out food to show the date it should be tossed. These appear to have been all used up! There are tips on tipping, tips on storing your take-out food and tips on using up leftovers.

My rather pathetic rye bread which was very tasty but very flat! This is a recipe I have made before with no issues. It is from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I do not know what happened here.

Rye bread.jpg

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN3510.jpg

Which cookbook did this recipe come from? They look tasty, and sound healthy! You could always offset the lack of sugar by dipping them in chocolate! :biggrin:

Here you go.

With Kerry working Emerg it rarely makes much sense to plan a formal dinner hour since she is likely to be called away at any time. As a consequence we both made our own dinners tonight and here’s mine:

Salad.jpg

A salad of romaine, tomatoes, shrimp and two wonderfully fresh farm eggs. I dressed it very simply with Jacques Pepin’s cream dressing.

I promised more stories from our Sudbury trip. This container of curry powder caught my eye because I am a sucker for attractive packaging and will pay far too much money just so I can have the package. But in this case it was much more the marketing spiel on the label that I simply had to share with you:

Curry powder.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

In between trips to the ER today I made this tart. It is President's Choice all butter puff pastry, a frangipane spread on the pastry and figs.

DSCN3514.jpg

Whipped cream is always easier if you have a cream siphon available.

DSCN3515.jpg

Looks like I neglected to take a photo of the guacamole I took to work today. Also took the remains of the fig tart which was apparently the best thing I've made so far.

Tonight we were to have had guests for dinner - that's been postponed until Thursday - but the 7 lb chicken we got at Burt Farms needed to be cooked today. We took at little road trip this afternoon in search of angostura bitters among other things - a fruitless search again! But we did have a lovely Farquhar's Dairy ice cream cone on our travels - almost ruined our appetite for dinner.

Continuing to experiment with the booze we have available we made a Negroni like cocktail - gin, dry white vermouth and aperol with a frizzled bit of orange rind.

DSCN3519.jpg

DSCN3520.jpg

Anna roasted the beast, and part way through added some little potatoes and cipollini onions. It was a delicious dinner - appetite back!

DSCN3525.jpg

Wiki nursing home again today - before I left last week I asked Liz the nurse in charge what she wanted this week - "coconut macaroons" she said, "just like you brought last year".

DSCN3532.jpg

On my way to Wiki this am I stopped off in the little supermarket in Manitawaning - I found some ginger beer - which had me trying to decide if I'd make a Moscow Mule or a Dark and Stormy for us when I got home. Dark and Stormy won.

DSCN3534.jpg

We enjoyed our drinks on the balcony, watching the boats go by on the North Channel.

DSCN3537.jpg

A dinner of leftover chicken heated up in the drippings with some sous vide white turnips and some grilled asparagus.

DSCN3540.jpg

Anna had been making River Cafe's Strawberry Sorbet from Amanda Hesser's blog Food 52. Having no ice cream freezer here - she adapted it using the thermomix - froze the berries and processed them with the lemon and sugar.

I made the lemon curd from MC (the one that contains no actual lemon). Nice texture - but I'm going to do some further experiments with this one.

DSCN3541.jpg

Anna had also been playing today with an idea that Andiesenji forwarded to me for drunken coffee jello squares. The recipe needs a little work to make it really pop with flavour - and it suffers from hysteresis which we are thinking might benefit from the addition of a little xanthan gum next iteration.

DSCN3548.jpg

This morning one of the nurses brought me some red currents she'd picked from her garden last night - I used about half the resulting puree to make a batch of red current pates de fruit. Can't wait until her black currents ripen - hopefully before we leave!

DSCN3549.jpg

DSCN3551.jpg

DSCN3554.jpg

Lovely pate de fruit! The first time I made it in culinary school I didn't realize that one of the fruits needed to be acidic and ended up using coconut and banana purees...tasted ok, looked like snot, and kind of oozed like it too :blink:

Needless to say, lesson learned. My favorite is passion fruit.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown