Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time to Give Canola Oil Some Love


Chris Amirault
 Share

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I decant my major oil :  TJ's Kalamata EVOO from Greece

 

into a much smaller squeeze bottle , that has a tight top and

 

I can squeeze what I need out of that.  it warms up if I take it out

 

and I get just the amount of what i want that way

 

then it goes back into the refrigerator.

 

And what happens to the larger container the oil comes in from Trader?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it goes back into the  refig

 

it come out to get a little more ' liquid '  so I can pour from it

 

into the smaller squeeze bottle.

 

it never gets to room temp.

 

DSC09347.thumb.jpg.d8d1f9dea4aa9444b6d8d66791b7cc29.jpg

 

note the top on the squeeze bottle :  very hard to find

 

these bottle were a ' sample '  dumped the contents and use them

 

as above.

 

note the kalamata has two different levels :  the top is ' smother ' 

 

the bottom a bit more granular.

 

that means I took the bottle out of the refuge , left it at room temp

 

just enough time to fill the little bottle.

 

note the squeeze bottle is ' liquid '  I left ie out this am for todays use.

 

generally , I don't leave it o0ut that long

 

but , it still tastes like ' Kalamata '

 

not oxidized.

 

works for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

its cold , and usual dark

Are you sure it's dark? I mean, when the doors closed isn't this a Schrödinger's cat situation? You're pretty certain it's dark in there but you have no evidence.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

P.S ;

 

S's cat ?

 

more a sub-atomic issue

 

EVOO

 

more a ' bending ' of space-time

 

like this :

 

1*-w9TbIwL17LM9Cl0fdNsEg.png.8eef604741dcb3a0871520510b376295.png

 

EVOO is a bit to the far Left

 

Id think

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

EVOO is a bit to the far Left

Apart from not wishing to engage in politics, you'll get us both in trouble from getting off-topic here. Nice illustration though.

 

I use good cheap Australian canola all the time. It is not fishy. I buy four-litre tins when it is half price at the local supermarket.

 

Voters from across the political spectrum like my shallow frying.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

Funny, I don't get much peanut flavor from peanut oil.

 

I keep two types of peanut oil on hand:  less refined and lower smoke point for when I want peanut flavor, and more refined with higher smoke point and essentially no flavor for stirfries and deep frying.

 

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2021 at 6:35 PM, Anna N said:

I did try to do a bit of research on why he is so into canola oil but I didn’t come up with anything. I am not opposed to canola oil but it’s a curious choice for a restaurant of such stature.

 

I'm sure I read about this on one of his books. I remember it because it left me puzzled, I always read bad comments about canola oil and I was surprised reading it was his oil of choice for cooking. But for sure he knows much better than me. Besides that, I never saw it on sale here so I have zero experience.

If weinoo did not find about this on "Le Bernardin Cookbook" then it must be on "On The Line". I just picked the book to check, canola oil is not listed in the index, I gave a cursory look at some pages to no avail. Sorry but I'm not re-reading the whole book to check this.

 

 

 

Teo

 

Teo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Sorry but I'm not re-reading the whole book to check this.

I can’t say that I blame you. I can’t see either that Ripert would put his reputation on the line by using an oil that he did not feel appropriate to the task at hand. It may have to remain a mystery. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, teonzo said:

 

I'm sure I read about this on one of his books. I remember it because it left me puzzled, I always read bad comments about canola oil and I was surprised reading it was his oil of choice for cooking. But for sure he knows much better than me. Besides that, I never saw it on sale here so I have zero experience.

If weinoo did not find about this on "Le Bernardin Cookbook" then it must be on "On The Line". I just picked the book to check, canola oil is not listed in the index, I gave a cursory look at some pages to no avail. Sorry but I'm not re-reading the whole book to check this.

 

 

 

Teo

 

This got me thinking - I have his "A Return to Cooking" or some title like that - I used to love that book - commonly with dressings at that time, he'd use 1/2 evoo and 1/2 canola - at the time he said that canola was neutral and thinner in viscosity than the evoo, so he used half and half to get the evoo flavor but used the canola to thin it a bit.  That's all I remember him saying about canola at that time.  That book is currently buried among the packing boxes, so I don't think I could dig it out to look it up right now if I had wanted to!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2021 at 12:33 PM, Anna N said:

I can’t say that I blame you. I can’t see either that Ripert would put his reputation on the line by using an oil that he did not feel appropriate to the task at hand. It may have to remain a mystery.

 

My suspicion is that this was the publishers choice rather than put 'neutral oil' and have to explain the options. OTOH when I read recipes in French it seems to be the most called for neutral oil maybe he does use an expeller pressed canola oil. It seems a funny thing to be judge-y about, easy enough to use your favorite oil 🤷‍♀️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AAQuesada said:

It seems a funny thing to be judge-y about, easy enough to use your favorite oil 🤷‍♀️ 

I’m not sure that anyone was making a judgment so much as trying to figure out why Ripert’s oil of choice was canola. (Certainly there were plenty of judgements about the oil itself.) And I’m not buying that it was the publishers choice since almost every recipe of his I have so far encountered calls for canola oil. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I’m not sure that anyone was making a judgment so much as trying to figure out why Ripert’s oil of choice was canola. (Certainly there were plenty of judgements about the oil itself.) And I’m not buying that it was the publishers choice since almost every recipe of his I have so far encountered calls for canola oil. 

 

I was making a judgement.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Pam R said:

Maybe he just likes it and uses it.  Simple as that. 

 

It's also very common for restaurants, in the 16L jugs and pails. 

 

His choice.  As was mine to ship his book back to amazon.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

I was making a judgement.

 

So you were.

  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Pam R said:

Maybe he just likes it and uses it.  Simple as that. 

 

It's also very common for restaurants, in the 16L jugs and pails. 

 

Your second statement I sure understand, but it's certainly not as if Le B is using it because it's inexpensive and comes in big jugs. Only reason would be because chef prefers it.  When I staged after cooking school, I think I remember chef using (when it wasn't all olive oil or butter) a 50/50 mix of olive oil and canola.

  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

His choice.  As was mine to ship his book back to amazon.

 

How come?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...