• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comparing Gin Brands

jfd666

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Currently drinking G&T with Plymouth Navy + Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic + lime wedge.  Tall, light ice.  Best G&T on the planet (imho).

Gunpowder and dangerously delicious. 

Great stuff indeed!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 months later...

Anyone try Ford's gin? I discovered it last year and it's become my favorite. It unseated Plymouth in my liquor cabinet. For context, I mostly think of gin as the primordial ooze from which a Negroni rises. So many of the gins that work great in other cocktails (Hendricks, etc.) aren't really on my radar.

Plymouth for me made an interesting negroni. I understand why it's a controversial choice. It's on the subtle side. Ford's is much more juniper-forward, but it has Plymouth's earthiness and oiliness, which makes it work great in this cocktail. It's also a few bucks cheaper. Only drawback is it's a little harder to find.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Anyone try Ford's gin? I discovered it last year and it's become my favorite. It unseated Plymouth in my liquor cabinet. For context, I mostly think of gin as the primordial ooze from which a Negroni rises. So many of the gins that work great in other cocktails (Hendricks, etc.) aren't really on my radar.

Plymouth for me made an interesting negroni. I understand why it's a controversial choice. It's on the subtle side. Ford's is much more juniper-forward, but it has Plymouth's earthiness and oiliness, which makes it work great in this cocktail. It's also a few bucks cheaper. Only drawback is it's a little harder to find.

I boast several gin bottles on my shelf, but there are only two gin drinks I really care for.  I use Magellan in my aviation, and Diep 9 Old Genever for death in the gulfstream.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

I like Fords gin.  I don't have any at the moment but I do buy it from time to time.  I like to reuse the empty bottles for infusions, batched cocktails, etc.  I like the little volume markings on the side. 

I've been wanting to try Sipsmith's VJOP but Total Wine's price is an annoying $55.  Hi Time is a more reasonable $42 but I'm waiting for them to get some other stuff back in stock before placing an order.