• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. liuzhou

Dinner 2024

I boil the noodles for one minute, drain then fry. The other stuff is fried first until almost done and then I add the boiled noodles. They have never stuck in th hundreds of times I've done something similar.
  3. KennethT

Dinner 2024

How do you cook the fresh noodles? Do you boil/drain then add to the stir fry or stir fry directly? Do you need to do anything to keep them from sticking in the wok?
  4. rotuts

Dinner 2024

@Maison Rustique a secret benefit of cooking for one is planned leftovers. some of the things I cook are good for several days after on purposes. that goes for shopping also I buy 2 packs of Capari tomatoes from TJ's that's 4 days worth of tomatoes when I start in on a pack. etc.
  5. liuzhou

Dinner 2024

Chicken liver and matsutake fried noodles*. Also contained garlic, ginger, chilli, Chaoshan fish sauce, soy sauce, coriander leaf and Chinese chives. *Fresh hand-pulled noodles. I know they were fresh and hand pulled because I saw them being made when I was in the local noodle shack this morning . They aren't on their menu but I pleaded insanity again and scored some to take home to make this dish. They know me well.
  6. Today
  7. I tried Rorie’s grain free flour for Passover and really liked the flour combo but it’s really expensive. It’s almond flour, coconut flour and arrowroot flour, in that order. I was wondering if anyone had a copycat recipe for the mixture. Looked under Paleo recipes and they used more arrowroot that coconut, so what I saw was clearly different.
  8. Maison Rustique

Dinner 2024

Still trying to get the hang of cooking for one. A friend foraged some wild onions and shared with me. I roasted some with some tomatoes that needed to be used. Then used that with some ham (also on last legs), a tortilla, eggs and odds and ends of cheeses that were over-staying their welcome. Not pretty, but it was tasty and got a few things used instead of tossing them.
  9. This is BC only, but a bunch of Juwei brand food products have been recalled for potential listeria. I doubt many of us have a pack of "spicy duck esophagus" in our pantries, bit if so... https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/juewei-brand-meat-and-vegetable-products-recalled-due-listeria-monocytogenes?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23
  10. I didn't find that firmness to be the case, not even close to what you've experienced.
  11. I never heard of these Korean dogs. But the more I learn about them the more I just want an old-fashioned state fair corn dog. Thanks, but I'll take my mozzarella on a pizza. As for rolling a panko breaded hot dog in sugar, well, the end is nigh.
  12. Dejah

Dinner 2024

Thanks for the Enchilada sauce recipe, @Tropicalsenior! Saved onto my files! Made a Weight Watchers Bouillabaisse for supper. Didn't have crusty bread, so we used paratha. We used a spoon to slurp up the amazing broth!
  13. They were on sale for $1:69/lb where the Pink Lady was $1.99/lb and Honey Crisp was $2.49/lb. Those WildTwist were not worth the $1.69/lb worst apples ive had in a while.
  14. I don’t understand what you mean by early season? Unless you’re getting these from the southern hemisphere, apple season in North America is autumn, I think.
  15. I didn't find that firmness to be the case, not even close to what you've experienced.
  16. I think the cheese dogs are essentially mozzarella sticks on a stick? I do appreciate a good corn dog, so I’m mostly curious about these snacks. has anyone actually tried one?
  17. They were so firm they bruised my gums trying to bite into them. It could be early season, but i have not had that issue with Pink Lady, or Honey Crisp during the same season. I am not sure how you can explain that.
  18. Yes, we get those here, too. But the 'small red onions' above are not segmented at all; they are exactly like red onions but small. 5cm / 2 inches in diameter.
  19. https://www.ohkdog.com/menu I don't understand. Are these fried cheese/corn dogs? They look unappetizing. I wouldn't mind a kimchi dog at all though.
  20. The hot dogs have been a thing for a while. This one on Ludlow Street opened a few years ago; it drew big crowds for a while; don't know if it still does. https://www.ohkdog.com/ With Katz's around the corner, I find very little reason to ever try a Korean hot dog.
  21. I'm pretty sure that most of the apples currently being sold at any Trader Joe's were harvested last fall. Certainly, their peak texture and flavor has passed. And I would venture a guess that the same has happened to the apples being sold at Monterey Market...and most anywhere else.
  22. MaryIsobel

Dinner 2024

I make a very similar recipe - the cost saving over buying the canned sauce is phenominal!
  23. If you can find it, Oakridge Carne Crosta. Last time i checked it was $100/lb on ebay. I still have a stock pile i vacuum packed and froze when it was $30/lb. That said, Plowboys Bovine Bold would be my second choice.
  24. Yesterday
  25. They look similar, though more rounded and less segmented, to Laos and Northern Thai shallots. The common bulb allium consumed there -
  26. Thank you. I have a tri-tip in the freezer. I don't recall ever cooking a tri-tip I don't know how to cut one. Until now.
  27. Tropicalsenior

Dinner 2024

This is the recipe for enchilada sauce that I have used for years. Although the recipe calls for making it in a skillet, I often make it in the microwave. If you don't have the New Mexican chili powder, any good chili powder will work. I also sometimes add sour cream to it for a richer flavor. Ten Minute Enchilada Sauce A super speedy enchilada sauce with a truly authentic taste. 1/4 cup vegetable oil 2 tablespoons flour 1/4 cup New Mexico or California chili powder 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce 1-1/2 cups water 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon onion salt salt to taste Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour. Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.
  1. Load more activity