• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. chefmd

Grocery Shopping

First of the season local MD asparagus.
  3. kayb

Best First Cookbook

I find Shirley Corriher's Cookwise to be a good intro for people who know little about cooking. I've give that, as well as Bittman's HTCE, several times for wedding gifts when I knew people had an interest in cooking but little experience.
  4. Glad to know someone else does this. I will sit down with a cookbook and read it like a novel, but when it comes to needing a specific recipe for something, unless I'm going to a tried-and-true in a specific cookbook, nine times out of 10 I'll look online.
  5. Without trying to go back into soapboxing again, just to answer your question. I meant what you said to an extent. But I also meant that the precepts of inclusiveness that go along with political correctness inspired people to all want a piece of that pie. The idea that was supposed to inspire togetherness accidentally inspired a great deal of selfishness. If people weren't part of a historically oppressed group then they would come up with their own thing to be offended over so they could be special too and the whole concept of political correctness insisted that we accept it. That's what got us to the point where everything is offensive and must be catered to.
  6. Today
  7. @Tri2Cook you’ve been totally civil and made some good points. Not 100% sure what you meant about human nature, but if you mean that nobody likes to be told what to do and people get overwhelmed by bring expected to care about every last unique group, I think you’re right and that does explain the backlash.
  8. I do asparagus in the CSO as described above, too. But I think my favorite is simmered in a skillet for a minute or two in a half-cup water and a copious quantity of butter, until the water evaporates, and then sizzled in the remaining butter until it develops a little browning.
  9. kayb

Easter Menus

Due to circumstances at least some of which were beyond my control, Easter dinner got pushed to the side. So I'm eating junk; will make a pilgrimage out to the crawfish place later this afternoon for three or four pounds of boiled crawfish, because that sounds good; and recycle the turkey breast (which never got brined) by brining tonight and smoking it tomorrow, and make the sugar snaps into a salad with viniagrette, and maybe cook one pound of the asparagus or just blanch it and throw it in with the sugar snaps in a salad. In a viniagrette dressing, I can eat on that and smoked turkey most of the week. I did make Good Friday service and the 11 a.m. today, although sunrise service went by the wayside.
  10. I wrote last fall about the terrible flooding along the Llano River that prevented us from visiting then. The park where we like to stay was badly damaged. I'm happy to report that most of the trailer camping facilities have been repaired, so we were able to visit for a few days, get our fill of barbecue, and see how the town fared. I have been enjoying Cooper's pinto beans for breakfast for the last couple of days, and it's a good way to fortify myself for walking tours. The Inks Bridge that connects the northern and southern sides of the town actually had water over it at the worst of the flood. It wasn't damaged, but the river bed has been scrubbed down to the rock. On the downstream side of the bridge, there are two photos that show the "before" so you can see how much that flood affected the vegetation. I walked across the bridge and admired the sculptures that have gone up in another riverfront park. (Note the flood debris high in the tree's branches!) I walked on into town, and by sheer dumb luck discovered that there's a Farmers' Market on Saturday mornings! I went to the Courthouse Square to see what they might have. I walked around two corners of the square before I found it: 3 stations, only. Well, this was the first weekend of the season for the market. One woman was selling vegetable plants that wouldn't appreciate being asked to flourish where we live. Another woman was selling baked goods. The third vendor was a man selling hand-woven cloths. To the left of the spinning machine were some plain, soft cotton napkins; the cloth to the right was woven of linen, or maybe linen and cotton. I had never seen a spinning machine like this, but the style dates back to Mahatma Gandhi's day. Lest this veer off into politics, please see this link for more information. This vendor is making his own yarn from cotton, but the cloth I bought as a table centerpiece is made from purchased yarn. It's luxuriantly soft. You'll see it in use at the table before we get home...but not when we're eating something messy! The weaver assured me that it's been washed many times, and that as cotton it's quite washable. Still, I don't think I want to risk it with barbecue sauce.
  11. chromedome

Food funnies

12. I'm with @liuzhou. I have filtered (through cheesecloth or paper towels) used oil as long as it's not used for fish, and kept it in the fridge and reused three or four times, maybe more. Fish-frying oil gets dumped in an empty glass jar and tossed in the trash. When I was a kid, we lived out in the country and, to minimize trips to the dump, burned a lot of our trash in a big 55-gallon barrel. We'd just pour fish oil, or oil that had gone off after several uses) on that and burn away.
  13. ...and the part of my personality that is still 11 years old giggles at the name. Food sounds glorious, though. I always enjoy your reviews.
  14. demiglace

Cooking plain old chips

A restaurant I cooked for years ago made great chips. Russet potatoes prepped the night before, soaked in water and kept in the walk-in overnight. After a good drying, they were pre-cooked at 325f til just before they browned. They were kept in fryer baskets in portion sizes that were popular and cooked to a nice golden brown at 350f. We served halibut on newsprint but the piece closest to the fish was clean unprinted paper so no issues. Good luck.
  15. I just want a piece of pie.
  16. Yeah, I had to work backward from the knot on that one to work out that it was a lass at the upper left!
  17. No one knows for sure Last but not least (the second one had me stumped for a minute)
  18. I've written before about Lone Star Beer. To be honest, I buy it more for the bottle caps than the flavor, but it's become a tradition for us: when in Texas, we have to buy at least one 6-pack of the stuff so we can enjoy the puzzles. Here are two. Can you make out what they say?
  19. BonVivant

Lunch 2019

Turning (pseudo) Russian! Love beetroots already as a child and am still eating them year round. The herring is supposed to be "under the fur coat", but mine is clearly not "under". Curly bits are grated salt-cured yolk. My cheat's version of "Paskha" (Russian Easter cheese cake, but then without the crust). You are supposed to eat it with Kulich but I ate it with the bread in photo above. I made it with full-fat farmer's quark which has the texture and consistency of crème fraîche. I made 2, in case 1 didn't turn out. Russian-style gherkin soup. Made mine without meat and loosely based on Rassonik. Garlic bread to go with the soup. Speck and minced garlic mixed with some oil were scatter on the bread near the end of baking. Garlic rolls are normally served with Borscht, however. There's pureed beetroots and liquid in the batter but the colour was lost when cooked. The beetroot sauce here is a little sweet. Little cottage cheese cakes with blueberry-honey compote. The original Russian pancakes are called Syrniki. Savoury version with the same cottage cheese cakes. Hate beetroot? More for me and Chefmd. Washed down with a beetroot broth, contained no vodka... I used Korean dumpling skins (twice as thick as Chinese and Japanese ones). The end of my Russian-style feast. What shall we do with him?
  20. I found some ripe prickly pear fruit! I only took a small sample because I didn't actually see anyone from whom to ask permission. They probably wouldn't have cared, since there's a significant number of tunas on the ground - but still. I settled for just three. They're in the freezer now. If I manage to get juice out of this paltry sampling, I'll report back on the taste and tartness.
  21. JoNorvelleWalker

Aprons: Do you use one?

I'm guessing liquid nitrogen.
  22. In reponse to my kvetching about the Joule, I'm happy to report that I used the Joule successfully yesterday for 3 separate cooks, with no trouble. It may be because the firmware and app have both been updated. It may be that I've finally figured out that I have to turn the Joule on before launching the app. At least, that's how I did it yesterday, and it all went smoothly. The chicken breasts received two different spice treatments, and I used 145F (working my way toward Shelby's numbers) for 2:15. We'll be set for sandwich meat and chicken salad until we get home. The lamb was cooked at 125F for 1:30 in my standard Greek-ish marinade. I'll plan to rewarm it, then give it a quick sear on a pan or a grill, depending on when I cook it. How nice to have a trouble-free experience with the Joule!
  23. I'm gonna step out of this one at this point before people start assuming I'm some kind of insensitive uncaring ass (perhaps some already have). I'm really not. I'm a fan of the basic precept of political correctness. There are just a lot of things it's branched into that I'm much less a fan of. And I don't think it's because political correctness was a bad idea. It just failed to take human nature into account. What was supposed to create an environment of inclusiveness and caring about others has blossomed into one of the biggest dividers and displays of complete individual selfishness that's ever existed. I'm not sure there's a realistic way to remove human nature from anything so it's a concept that will never accomplish what it set out to. It's one of very few political soapbox triggers for me but I really didn't mean to dive in as deeply here as I did. So I will now go back to restricting myself to food and drink related discussion. Thanks for putting up with my ranting, regardless of whether you agree with me or not.
  24. BonVivant

Dinner 2019

Skrei season has just come to an end. I got 2 fat loins. The fish is so delicate and expensive you really need to keep it simple. I just seared, topped with onions fried in butter. Got 5 meals out of this lean duck. This is the last one. Used the stock in the soup and made some crispy Speck.
  25. Kerry Beal

funnel dispenser

These are from Chef Rubber
  26. TdeV

Dinner 2019

Hi Ann, How do you stretch your pizza? (In spite of making pizzas for years, I have a fairly clumsy way of stretching out the dough). Your pizzas (again) look fabulous. It seems to me that you have very little dough gumminess (?) where the topping intersects the dough. How do you manage this? Thanks.
  1. Load more activity