• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Is This Kitchen Tool Gadget Thing?

CaliPoutine

Ice crusher for ten points and the bonus round.

I have one and it's indispensible for making perfectly ice cold martinis.

I almost wish it was a lemon juicer( although I have a few of those). It seems rather tedious to crush one ice cube at a time.)

Ice crusher for ten points and the bonus round.

I have one and it's indispensible for making perfectly ice cold martinis.

I almost wish it was a lemon juicer( although I have a few of those). It seems rather tedious to crush one ice cube at a time.)

Because it crushes the ice you have more ice! I use only four or five cubes if I'm making a tini for two. It's so worth it. It chills the gin in a faster time, IMO.

s

• 4 months later...

A butter curler it is and a lovely one at that.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

• 4 months later...

Could it be a lemon (or other citrus) juicer, instead? Take a look at these for comparison:

gallery_28661_3_6319.jpggallery_28661_3_7301.jpg

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a little game we can all play. The greater the challenge the better.

Somebody puts up pictures (or for those photographically challenged writes up a description, suitably obscure, but workoutable) for the rest of us to guess what the function of the item is.

After a suitable time interval for answers (guesses) the correct use of the item is revealed.

The current thread on gadgets you've never used was the inspiration for this piece of tomfoolery.

Here's a start. What is this?

gallery_22910_3555_10516.jpg

gallery_22910_3555_1388.jpg

Pretty easy this one, but it should get thing rolling.

Here's a little game we can all play. The greater the challenge the better.

Somebody puts up pictures (or for those photographically challenged writes up a description, suitably obscure, but workoutable) for the rest of us to guess what the function of the item is.

After a suitable time interval for answers (guesses) the correct use of the item is revealed.

The current thread on gadgets you've never used was the inspiration for this piece of tomfoolery.

Here's a start. What is this?

gallery_22910_3555_10516.jpg

gallery_22910_3555_1388.jpg

Pretty easy this one, but it should get thing rolling.

A ravioli sealer a.k.a. crimper, right?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

A ravioli sealer a.k.a. crimper, right?

Knew you would be too knowledgable for me.

gallery_22910_3555_12621.jpg

I'm thinking that maybe David Cronenberg can make a movie where Jeremy Irons plays demented twin chefs.

I'm far better looking than Jeremy Irons. Quite a bit older too!

Ok, here's another one. Hopefully a bit more of a challenge.

gallery_22910_3555_26242.jpg

gallery_22910_3555_17290.jpg

OK you asked for it.

Yes, this is used in the kitchen only .

Its electric, not made by Ronco, and purchased by Nana.

No, it doesn't realy do what its supposed to.

gallery_23695_426_242892.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

OK you asked for it.

Yes, this is used in the kitchen only .

Its electric, not made by Ronco, and purchased by Nana.

No, it doesn't realy do what its supposed to.

gallery_23695_426_242892.jpg

tracey

I'll bite. Pure guess here.

Its a one egg egg mixer?

It's a vegetable/fruit peeler - I think it is called Quick Peel and I think someone put a photo up a year or so ago on another gadget thread.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

How about this? It was in another topic also.

gallery_17399_60_68956.jpg

gallery_17399_60_24172.jpg

gallery_17399_60_21860.jpg

gallery_17399_60_24372.jpg

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...

I hope this is a stumper - it was for me.

It measures 8 inches long. At its widest, it would be about 1/4 inch diameter coming to a very sharp point. On the fat end is a hinged arm - not spring loaded. Inside the opening of the hinged end is a single pointed tooth on just one of the sides - the side that isn't hinged (meaning the top arm hinges, the bottom arm if part of the 8 inch long stick. Made of stainless steel, stamped "Nimbus Stainless Germany" Even though its stamped Nimbus, this is not a magic wand for Harry Potter. Good luck.

gallery_41282_4708_21234.jpg

gallery_41282_4708_8730.jpg

gallery_41282_4708_22318.jpg

I hope this is a stumper - it was for me.

It measures 8 inches long.  At its widest, it would be about 1/4 inch diameter coming to a very sharp point.  On the fat end is a hinged arm - not spring loaded.  Inside the opening of the hinged end is a single pointed tooth on just one of the sides - the side that isn't hinged (meaning the top arm hinges, the bottom arm if part of the 8 inch long stick.  Made of stainless steel, stamped "Nimbus Stainless Germany"  Even though its stamped Nimbus, this is not a magic wand for Harry Potter.  Good luck.

gallery_41282_4708_21234.jpg

gallery_41282_4708_8730.jpg

gallery_41282_4708_22318.jpg

That'd be a larding needle I be thinking.

Dang! I'm going to banish back into the chocolate kitchen for such a quick and CORRECT answer! :blink:

A dear Dutch friend of ours (was part of the kinder train, and summer of eating nothing but tulip bulbs) shared it with me today. She stated that you cut a piece of long thing lard, hook it on the bard, close the clamp, then thread it through "dried rabbit." I get it, but I don't. Either way...ding, ding, ding. You are the winner!