• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

30 minutes ago, Smithy said:

a can of coconut milk

This made me do a double take! I know there are many, many ways of making butter chicken but I have never thought of one with coconut milk. One of my granddaughter's favourite meals is butter chicken and she despises coconut.  Not trying to start a war! To each their own. I'm just saying that it caught me off guard.  I imagine it was very good.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

This made me do a double take! I know there are many, many ways of making butter chicken but I have never thought of one with coconut milk. One of my granddaughter's favourite meals is butter chicken and she despises coconut.  Not trying to start a war! To each their own. I'm just saying that it caught me off guard.  I imagine it was very good.

I'm glad you brought that up. In fact, when I looked afterward at a couple of hard-copy recipes I had, I saw that they used cream and not coconut milk. I think that would have been closer to the flavor profile I wanted, but I didn't have enough cream. When I was able to get back online and look at JohnT's method linked above, I saw it did use coconut milk and my memory wasn't as bad as I'd feared. So I think either way is fine; it'll just change the flavor a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 4/27/2023 at 7:14 AM, Smithy said:

I love Indian food. I love curries -- Indian, Indonesian, Thai -- but still have to refer to cookbooks to make them. Then I get intimidated. I know, Raghavan Iyer (RIP) did his best to take the mystery out of Indian curries. Madhur Jaffrey and Julie Sahni did the same. Still, I open a book and look at all the spices, and get tired thinking about it.

Are you familiar with the Indian spice tins many home cooks use? I first saw one at an India born neighbor's.  Hers had more than 7 I think. nyway - a nice typical selection all tgether. Here's one (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

As I mentioned before, our mountain retreat had NO internet or cell phone connection. I was forced to confront the magazines that, to my shame, have been carried around without inspection for well over a year.

20230427_191418.jpg

This issue had several interesting articles. The one that caught my eye first was about upping one's game with bean salad by dressing the beans while they're warm.

For Better Flavor, Microwave Your Chickpeas

I know some of you don't like chickpeas, but I suspect the approach would work well with any cooked beans. Here's a photo of the article, with the recipe if you can read it;

20230427_191400.jpg

and here's a link to the recipe itself. For now it's free.

Recipe for Turkish Chickpea Salad

The first question I came across was one of altitude. We were at 6,000' MSL. I'd already scotched the idea of a potato braise until we were at a more normal (for us) altitude. I didn't have canned chickpeas. How long would it take to cook the dried beans? Would they get hot enough to cook? I suspected so, but wasn't sure. I wasn't willing to run the generator long enough to run the Instant Pot.

I settled on an overnight soak for the chickpeas, followed by a good drain and rinse, then a good long simmer. I don't remember how many hours I gave it. The trailer was cool. A simmer atop the stove helped.

After the chickpeas had cooked satisfactorily, I hauled out what my darling calls "the lunar lander" to make thin slices of onion.

20230419_170506.jpg

I've normally used this gizmo only as a cheese grater. It worked pretty well on the onion. Was it better than my knife skills for thin slices? Probably not, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it if my knife hand weren't working properly.

20230419_170649-1.jpg

Finally, it got down to the seasonings. They include Aleppo pepper, sumac, lemon, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, ground cumin, fresh parsley, basil, and sun-dried tomatoes.

I didn't have fresh basil, so I substituted some of my jarred pesto. I still have a stock of Trader Joe's sun-dried tomatoes in oil. That was easy.

Then I came to the cumin. I should explain, by way of background, that I get a *groan* and protest from my darling every time I buy a package of ground cumin. "It doesn't last!" he says. "Get the whole seed and grind it!" Well, I do keep the whole seeds on hand...but sometimes I simply don't want to be bothered with that extra step. Ground cumin is more convenient.

Except...except...something was off with this dish. It was good, but something wasn't right. Could it be the cumin?

Could it really be that last month's ground cumin had already gone stale?

I don't know the answer to that question yet, but after I made that first salad I broke out a fresh package of cumin, used some of it, and put the rest in the freezer.

20230427_213636.jpg

It'll be interesting to see, in a month or so, whether there's a significant difference between the stuff stored in the freezer and the stuff stored in a bottle at room temperature.

As for the Turkish Chickpea Salad itself? A winner! 

20230420_122601.jpg

We're already on our second batch. Even my darling, who normally likes things sweeter and a bit more syrupy, thinks this recipe is a keeper.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

But the big thing is, this was a huge recipe. We ate it that night. We ate it the next night. On the third night, I simply couldn't face it again.

When I first started learning to cook, this was my strategy. Make a huge quantity of something and eat it for days.

One of the first dishes I learned was lasagna. Eating lasagna for days in a row completely ruined lasagna for me. :sad:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

39 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

When I first started learning to cook, this was my strategy. Make a huge quantity of something and eat it for days.

One of the first dishes I learned was lasagna. Eating lasagna for days in a row completely ruined lasagna for me. :sad:

That's what freezers and plastic containers are for. 😉

But I get it. I did that, more than once. I'm not sure it ever put me off anything, although I did learn the hard way about refrigeration. (Leaving a pot of corned beef and potatoes out on the counter until I'd finished it, 3 or 4 days later, was not wise. 🙄 )

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, heidih said:

"dressing while warm" is a good thing. Similarly for for potatoes and roasted vegetables. Probably fun to look throug the older magazines. 

"Dressing while warm" isn't something I've fully incorporated into my cooking consciousness yet, but it should. You're right about potato salad, especially Ina Garten's French Potato Salad where I first learned the trick. That's a favorite of mine, although I need to be sure I make only enough for myself. (My darling is of the goopy sweet potato salad persuasion. Our potato salads are safe from each other. 🙃)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No idea where I got this instruction but I always do it for potato salad: Cut the boiled potatoes while still very warm. Dress with just salt and vinegar and let sit fifteen minutes before adding everything else. whether it's no mayo or a lot of mayo. I have to say that most recipes for mayo-style potato salad call for.way more mayo than I could ever imagine using. I've seen recipes that suggest a cup of mayo for a potato salad that basically feeds three people. Now that's goopy.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

No idea where I got this instruction but I always do it for potato salad: Cut the boiled potatoes while still very warm. Dress with just salt and vinegar and let sit fifteen minutes before adding everything else. whether it's no mayo or a lot of mayo. I have to say that most recipes for mayo-style potato salad call for.way more mayo than I could ever imagine using. I've seen recipes that suggest a cup of mayo for a potato salad that basically feeds three people. Now that's goopy.

I keep meaning to revisit, and maybe contribute to, eG Cook-Off #87: Potato Salad. Then I get distracted, and forget. I might find something we both truly like. If you haven't visited that one, you might consider adding your 2 cents' worth.

The truth is my darling grew up with the standard, garden-variety Midwestern potato salad (eggs, sweet pickle, Miracle Whip and of course potatoes, and all of it cold) and that's his comfort food. I never liked the stuff as a kid, and never knew until I was in my 20's or 30's that potato salad could be made any other way! He thinks potato salad with mustard is bold stuff. I like it well enough as long as it hasn't been sweetened with pickle or MW, so we occasionally find a store-bought salad we can agree on. As a rule, he buys his deli potato salad and I make my own when I want it. 

• Like 3

Llano, Texas. Welcome to the Hill Country, just in time for storms. This morning it was dead calm; now there's a thunderstorm overhead. Last night or the night before other parts of the Hill Country experienced baseball-sized hail, but so far we haven't been so 'blessed'.

20230428_153940.jpg

After months of living in a dry climate, the humidity takes some getting used to. The flowers, which were sparse in the Davis Mountains,

20230426_160207-2.jpg

grow with flashy extravagance here.

20230428_113241.jpg

The bouquet I picked back in New Mexico

20230416_180805.jpg

finally withered and died yesterday, more than a week after I picked them. The blazing star at the top of the photo above only lasted a day, but the desert marigolds and verbena make excellent cut flowers.

20230419_101140.jpg

Those of you who've been following along know that we love Llano for the shops and the Texas 'cue, as well as the park we stay at. It's a delight, after all this time, to have 50A electrical service and water that doesn't require a pump! I used the Instant Pot a couple of days ago to cook more chickpeas for the chickpea salad I discussed above. I don't need to show you another picture of that. In the next few posts I'll show some of the shops, and some of our meals. I don't know whether we'll go get takeout tonight. Depends on the rain, I think.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Thanks for these.   I just recently learned that the famed Texas Bluebonnets were the same as our Lupine, which is now coming into full bloom.    

They are lupines, but not the same variety. I've learned that there are oodles of varieties of lupines, ranging from the 2' high beauties in Minnesota to the stunted desert lupines where we spend most of the winter. The Texas Bluebonnets are unusual (to me) in their stratified coloring and bunched stalks.

And oh, the lupines in the Sierra foothills are gorgeous! Lucky you!

• Like 2

Those of you who've followed this blog know that I love visiting Charlie's store and perusing their kitchen gear. There's usually, not always, something for me to buy. There's always something to tempt me, even when we're on the return trip and nearly home. This time, I had a specific item in mind.

We all know about buyer's remorse. How many of us have experienced giver's remorse? I gave a (large) carload of stuff, mostly cooking gear, to my greatniece last fall as she was setting up her first apartment. Yes, she needed (or wanted) the stuff! I could spare it! I was doing us both a favor, and passing forward the blessings and help that my parents and their friends had done for me when I was setting up house for the first time.

Well. I'm a bit sorry I gave her my mother's cake pans. Never needed them before now. I have springform pans. They're all at home. My mother's pans had push-up bottoms, like this set (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). What I like about them is their straight sides, perfect for baking sweet rolls. Are they better than the springform pans? Not necessarily, but those pans are at home.

I am NOT asking for them back. We did each other favors, and her aunt is a wonderful baker. She'll probably get far more use out of them than I would at this point. Still, I'd like to have some for the trailer.

I checked out the antique and junk stores. My favorite of those shops closed over the winter! 😕 Nobody else knew what I was talking about. Off I went to Charlie's.

20230428_112351.jpg

20230425_160336.jpg

I didn't bother taking photos of their hilarious tea towels, but you can see them here for a good laugh.

I fondled some charming dipping bowls.

20230425_160326.jpg

I gave mine to my great-niece too. Those I don't want back, but it's fun to look.

I admired a huge strainer, perfect for fishing dumplings or pot-stickers out of a wok.

20230425_160354.jpg

Couldn't quite justify buying it, although -- in retrospect -- maybe it would be better for removing fried shrimp than my current setup. Hmm. It isn't too late to go back!

Kim didn't know what I was talking about on the cake pans, and none of what they had would work. I wonder why cake pans are made without removable bottoms, whether of the type I'm looking for or the springform variety? Leak prevention, I suppose. However, I can all too easily imagine the bottom sticking to the baked goods and refusing to release. What a mess that would be!

20230428_112240.jpg

I did indulge my desire for a new can opener.

20230428_162820.jpg

I haven't really made friends with our side-lid opener that doesn't leave sharp edges but does often make a mess when the lid jerks off too abruptly. Kim commented that this type was her favorite, and I noted that I found our side-cutter type difficult. "I couldn't make mine work at all!" she exclaimed.

Edited by Smithy
Rearranged photos, corrected spelling, corrected linlk (log)
  • Like 11

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I fondled some charming dipping bowls.

Those are cute.  I have a weakness for little bowls like that.  I need to up the amount of foods I make that I can dip in stuff.

I love kitchen stores like that.  There was one in the big city that I always stopped in when I used to actually go Christmas shopping.  Ronnie got me that huge sunflower bowl and platter there that I use when I make a composed salad.  It's closed now :( 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, heidih said:

Angel food cake pans pushed up from the bottom didn't they? I've not seen it in regular ones. 

They do make cake pans with removable bottoms (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) though I suspect leaking could be an issue with thinner batters. 
When I was shopping for an angel food cake pan, not long ago, I saw some that came with 2 bottoms, one with the center tube for an angel food or tube cake and one regular flat bottom. I didn’t buy one but it sounded like a good idea. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, heidih said:

Angel food cake pans pushed up from the bottom didn't they? I've not seen it in regular ones. 

My mother's did. They may have been Mirro or Wear-ever but I can't swear to the manufacturer. I'm sure those pans are older than I am, and I hope my greatniece makes good use of them for another generation's wear.

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

They do make cake pans with removable bottoms (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) though I suspect leaking could be an issue with thinner batters. 
When I was shopping for an angel food cake pan, not long ago, I saw some that came with 2 bottoms, one with the center tube for an angel food or tube cake and one regular flat bottom. I didn’t buy one but it sounded like a good idea. 

Now that you mention it, I think my mother acquired one like that, maybe from a Pampered Chef party. I may have it tucked into storage at home. I think the diameter is larger than the 8 or 9" I was thinking of, but if I make enough sweet rolls it'll work, won't it? 😉

• Like 3

We needed to replenish some supplies at the grocery store. It's a nice place: clean, pretty well stocked, with what seem to me quirky selections: hunting and camping gear as well as food we'd expect to see. But my, it is expensive! It isn't especially upscale, but the prices seem more in line with those of a luxury grocery store than what I'd normally expect. I think it must have to do with distribution costs, although the Texas Hill Country isn't exactly remote.

The cauliflower was the first shocker. 

20230424_134836.jpg

It wasn't on our list, but if it had been I'd have changed my mind.

We've never been impressed with their produce section, but we were able to get the needed round of breakfast fruit (not photographed) and some lemons. These were some of the tiniest lemons I've ever seen, but their prices were commensurate with their size. I didn't complain. I also needed a head of garlic to get us home.

20230429_113023.jpg

Cheese was pricey, but not much more so than I'd have expected in Yuma.

20230429_112908.jpg

I didn't need any flour or pasta, but I had to see whether there really were 5 brands of rice flour here as I'd predicted earlier😄 Nope, only one...but the same brand that I'd bought in New Mexico. Its normal price here was the sale price there, so I'll remember this place if I need any when/if we come through in the fall. I was also interested to see a gluten-free pasta. Didn't need it, but someday maybe I'll try it. I have trouble believing that a chickpea pasta would taste the same as a flour pasta. Maybe it depends on the sauce.

20230429_112736.jpg

The meat department was the biggest sticker shock. Fortunately, we didn't need any.

20230429_112818.jpg

20230429_112616.jpg

The price of chicken was good, although we didn't need or buy any.

20230424_135332.jpg

They didn't have the brand of Polish sausage (Kiolbassa) that I especially like, but Opa's are also good tube steaks. It could be argued that we didn't need these either, but we bought 'em anyway. The Country Blend is new to us, but we know we like their Hatch Green Chile version.

20230429_120726.jpg

Outside the store is a profusion of barbecue grills, deer corn, deer feeders, and garden starts. I got two basil plants to take home with me. I've always had good luck with these, and the basil is nice to have along the way.

20230429_120357.jpg

I've mentioned before that most of my photos are collages to cut down on data usage. However, the pictures are fuzzy as a result. If anyone wants a clearer picture -- for instance, to read fine print on a label -- let me know and I'll post the original.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The cauliflower was the first shocker. 

Yikes!  That would scare me away, too!  My local farmers market has big heads of cauliflower for $4 - 5.  Higher than in previous years but they are big and very fresh. 

The garlic and citrus seem more within reason.  I usually get 4/$1 lemons at the farmers market, though they are huge.  Limes have pretty much gone out of season locally so I'm hoarding what's left on my tree but when in season, they were also 4/$1 for big juicy limes.  I paid more than the pictured price (3/$1) for organic garlic yesterday, though the stuff in the picture looks to be Chinese or another import as the roots have been scooped out. I paid $1.79 for 3 heads of California organic garlic. 

I don't buy much meat so I don't have a point of reference there, though I do enjoy snooping through the markets with you!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

I paid more than the pictured price (3/$1) for organic garlic yesterday, though the stuff in the picture looks to be Chinese or another import as the roots have been scooped out. I paid $1.79 for 3 heads of California organic garlic. 

They didn't have any California garlic. I could have bought 3 heads of garlic packaged together for under a dollar, but those were from China. The loose stuff, of which I bought 1 head, was labeled as being from Peru.

• Thanks 1

Cauliflower! Maybe a weather thing but also a consumer mania thing - think cauliflower rice for low carb/dieters and cauliflower treated like meat - schwarma, tacos, wetc. I have not bought in a while. Hard when I was used to giant firm heads at 99cent store. Will check next time. Like when short ribs, shanks and such were bargains - ha! I think I am still just paying 50cents for California garlic. May have edged up to $1.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I didn't need any flour or pasta, but I had to see whether there really were 5 brands of rice flour here as I'd predicted earlier😄 Nope, only one...but the same brand that I'd bought in New Mexico. Its normal price here was the sale price there, so I'll remember this place if I need any when/if we come through in the fall. I was also interested to see a gluten-free pasta. Didn't need it, but someday maybe I'll try it. I have trouble believing that a chickpea pasta would taste the same as a flour pasta. Maybe it depends on the sauce.

20230429_112736.jpg

It tastes faintly like chickpeas. Not noticeable if it’s in a strongly flavored sauce like a bolognese, but noticeable if it’s, say, in Mac and cheese. It does hold up in sauce better than a rice pasta does.

I’ve tried, I think, all the gluten free pastas. My favorite is a corn and quinoa based one. Hard to tell it from wheat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com