• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Blizzard Food of 1/05?

Rosie

We cancelled our dinner reservation and I made a Chinese vegetable soup with noodles for dinner. We had a bottle of wine and some hummus pre-dinner. How about you? What are you cooking for dinner to help you get through the NJ blizzard of 2005?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

On my way home from work last night I stopped and picked up some goodies at Bella Roma Gourmet Italian Deli on Lake Ave. in Colonia. Heated up some last night for dinner, and heating up more tonight.

I got: Chicken Franchese, Chicken Rollantini, fried chicken breast flattened cutlets, stuffed zucchini, fried polenta, and stuffed artichokes from their prepared food counter.

Also picked up cold cuts and fresh mozz.

Everything is amazing. Really delicious. (but yes, expensive.)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

We happened to have chili, potato soup, and chicken soup on hand at home so all of that just got reheated and we had a soup buffet. Plenty of cracker variety too. Tomorrow it's French toast for breakfast before the dig out begins.

made it to Kings with the rest of West Caldwell this AM, was able to pick up a little skirt steak, shrimp, chipotle peppers, and other stuff for fajitas tonight.

Do you always have hummus on hand Rosie?

Either have store bought or cans of beans which I can throw in the food processor. And you?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We just finished a big pot roast that started simmering in the slow cooker on the first Accuweather prediction of snow. Lots of gravy and veggies spooned over buttered egg noodles. The lights turned out, only candles on the table, the four of us watching out the back window as the yard is covered in white. Nice bottle of table red to go with it.

Kids are just getting stories read to them. I'm warm from the wine - no sense in wasting it getting cold shovelling. Maybe a movie under a blanket with wife tonite on the couch.

Tomorrow - french toast with good challah and bacon and then snowtubing.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Leg of Lamb Provencial

Lima Beans, Garlic Spinach, Boiled new Potatoes

Lehmann 2001 Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon

Assorted Cheeses

Cherry tart

:rolleyes:

Listened to the weather man & shopped well yesterday. Will sleep late tomorrow...

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

my lunch options today dwindled faster than a Nor'easter Went went to the Javits center first thing this morning were supposed to go to Kang Suh for lunch...gonna snow....lets hit the Park West diner on rt 46 for lunch.... it is snowing....how about Wendy's on 23?....its really snowing how about the IGA supermarket get rolls we have ground beef....need milk and eggs too of course ice cream cheese crackers mozz....Made it up the Mountain cooked burgers and made pizza dough...for

gallery_23695_426_1106440442.jpg

steak and cheese sicilian pizza ....bake until smoke detector goes off

tracey

edit ...why do I still have grand union oregano????

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

just took 5" off the driveway, cars, either side of the house and the deck. HIMSELF can do the shoveling he likes down the backyard for access to the feeders. i'm NOT doing that in the dark.

we're using up stuff since john has to go on business travel monday. lunch was vegetable beef barley soup, dinner for john was split pea and toasted cheese sandwiches. i've got an infected tooth and don't feel like eating anything so had some soy yoghurt and some coffee milk. also have been ingesting sports drinks to keep hydrated with the minerals.

don't know if i will have to work tomorrow. if i do - more leftovers. if not maybe some spaghetti with bolognese sauce and a salad(stopped yesterday and picked up some mixed greens).

nest week i'm single so who knows? :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

As I told someone today, I could easily survive for a month with the containers of different homemade soups in my freezer! There is also meatloaf, meat sauce, one of the knishes I bought at Tabatchnick's last week on the Hot Dog Run, and Lord only knows what else! Oh, and Klondike Bars. :wink:

Lunch today was leftover lamb shanks that I made in the crock pot earlier in the week--over some mashed pots. And the rest of the wine I used for the shanks. Dinner was already-cooked turkey. NOW I'm wondering what to have...perhaps a glass of madiera!! Warms you from the inside on out. :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Solo tonight so I made a vat of beef stew with Guinness, potatos & carrlots. Plenty for manyana. The boys are plowing through the snow tomorrow as I'll be the only bloke with hot food, Big TV & booze for football. Leg of Lamb, roasted taters, grilled asparagus. Being it's Sunday, the Guinea in me might have to make homemade pasta just for the hell of it.

Frankfurters and canned beans ---- DH's choice!

Plus some homemade lamb/mushroom/barley soup. I have to do some 'nesting' when it snows like this, and soup is usually it!!

The fireplace is lit, I'm warm and dry, homemade soup --- how better can it be?

Fresh baked rolls, big kosher hot dogs, chili, tater tots:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=823236

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Let's see... Got plenty of leftovers sooo.... Onion soup, since there's some gruyere and sherry; pork stew with lots of dried chilies; got potatoes for chips tomorrow along with avocadoes and cilantro and Tequila and Bud and Football. Just gonna wait until it melts and then, maybe I'll go out.

just returned from a pot-luck dinner of sorts with friends willing and able to brave the weather on foot or via subway.

early grazing:

assorted olives, nuts, camembert and blue cheeses, sliced pears

main event:

wilted spinach and arugula salad with roasted beets and pickled onions

brandade de morue with garlic croutons

dessert:

lemon tart

coffee and tea

assorted wines (mostly red, southern france or spanish) were poured throughout the evening.

currently back home, sipping calvados, listening to the wind, feeling lucky to be inside, warm, and dry.

Trying out a couple of new recipes.

Last night, it was Hungarian Goulash from Arthur Schwartz's website. Delicious!! And perfect for a snowy winter's evening.

Tonight, it will be Lahori Chicken Curry With Whole Spices and Potatoes from Suvir's wonderful cookbook, Indian Home Cooking. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to cooking Indian cuisine, so it was fun putting together a little pantry of Indian ingredients. Suvir's cookbook has lots of easy-to-follow recipes, plus very interesting text and beautiful photos.

Last night we had homemade rolls with hot dogs and chili. This morning we had the rolls with salami and eggs. The salami was excellent, we tried a new brand of kosher salami from Abeles and Heymann, we usually have Hebrew National in the house. Anyway, this was bison instead of beef, it was on sale at ShopRite last week, and is excellent.

rachel - that bison from shoprite is wonderful! i've been using it for months now.

18" of snow removed from around the house, the cars, the patio and down to the bird feeder. came in and finished making white bean and kale soup. sent some over to my neighbor who was showing off his "big unit" and took some swipes at my driveway so all i had to do was tidy up around the cars.

since john will be away next week have to use up the stuff in the fridge. soup and a turkey club sounds good. though baked beans and hot dogs does have it's charm. hmmmm.... if i cheat a bit they could be ready by 7 and i have the stuff to make brown bread with raisins.

gotta go......

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yester day we went to a Christening up in Nyack, NY and then to New City for the party. Only 4 hearty couples from North Jersey made it. But it was fun.

Today I made a large pot of Ground Meat and Vegetable Soup. I have a loaf of rye bread, so that will be dinner.

Here's the soup recipe. It's from an Adele Davis cookbook that is ancient.

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/shugga/SOU...table_Soup.html

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Last night Leg of lamb with herbs and all the fixins. Drank a big jammy Elyse zinfandel.

Tonight lasagna with sides of meatballs and sausage. Opening up a nice sangiovese.

Denise is cooking up a storm the past two days.

Tom

PS A bunch of Advil for dessert for the 4+hours of shoveling today :biggrin:

Tom D

I was so excited at the prospect of being snowbound that I started menu planning on Thursday! We got to Wegman's a bit late on Saturday morning and got the makings of "comfort food" for the weekend.

The menus came together from my collection of Fine Cooking magazines. Saturday we had roast chicken with a lime, tomato and hominy sauce, long cooked stringbeans with oregano and creamy mashed yukon golds. Sunday was a pot roast which was filled with slivered garlic and had been marinating in balsamic vinegar and rosemary since Saturday afternoon, a braise of acorn squash and potatoes in a mustard sauce and leftover string beans from Saturday. We have mucho leftovers for the week and I had the luxury of cooking all weekend. I hate the snow but I love an excuse to keep out the cold with a good meal. :biggrin:

KathyM

We actually left the house and made our way down to New Green Bo in Chinatown, where we ate scallion pancakes, pork dumplings, vegetable dumplings, pork soup dumplings, mushroom and rice cakes, fried rice with pork and preserved cabbage and tong po pork. Unbelievably, we received water the first time we asked for it. More unbelievably, refills were immediately forthcoming whenever water level dipped below 1/2 in the glass.

No, it was not just two of us :blink: ! Five people. Total bill including tax & tip: $45. It's obscene. And JUST what the doc ordered on a snowy cold blowy night.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous