• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast Ideas

Megaroo

I'm not usually a fan of eating breakfast (for some reason I've never liked eating in the morning) but since my husband is, I figured that I should start making it a bit more (I never make it now) as surprises for him.

Usually, I'll just either fry or poach eggs and then roast potatoes, but I'm looking for some new (exciting?) ideas... anybody have some great things that they make for breakfast?

Fresh, good quality fruit can rarely be faulted as a good breakfast food.

Of course, neither can biscuits and gravy :wub:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

For special occasions, I like dutch baby pancakes and have a yellowed photocopy of the 1977 issue of Sunset magazine it appeared in. (Mom has the original) They're very showy, but easy to make.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Oatmeal. The steel cut variety is worth the effort (not that it's terribly difficult).

If I'm feeding a crowd, I like stratas. Endless variety.

Here's an example.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_recipes_lunch/...1377643,00.html

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I've been on a yogurt kick. Just put about 1/2 cup or so Greek yogurt in a bowl.

Add nuts (pine nuts, walnuts--whatever)

Add a sweetner (honey or brown sugar)

Add a cereal (granola, wheat bran, Grape Nuts, etc.)

Add some berries.

Mix. Voila.

It may sound a bit strange, but it tastes great. I've even variations of it for dessert instead of ice cream.

Edited by PopsicleToze (log)

I'm not usually a fan of eating breakfast (for some reason I've never liked eating in the morning) but since my husband is, I figured that I should start making it a bit more (I never make it now) as surprises for him.

Usually, I'll just either fry or poach eggs and then roast potatoes, but I'm looking for some new (exciting?) ideas... anybody have some great things that they make for breakfast?

If I'm in the mood for a real breakfast treat, I'll do an omelet, and had a great combo recently at a friends house, leftover chopped ham, spinach, tomato, mushroom, a little cheddar, and a lot of cream cheese. The cream cheese almost creates a sauce, and is delicious! The one we made was in a big pan, with six eggs, so it served 3-4 people, when you cut into wedges. Or 2 very hungry people.

In the summers, when the tomatoes are ripe and flavorful, I often fry big slices of them alongside the eggs. I don't necessarily dredge them in flour or anything, although do sometimes, but usually just let them sizzle away naked, and serve hot with salt and pepper. I love 'em.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I sometimes do an egg souffle roll. I think there's a basic recipe on Epicurious -- if you can't find it, I'll post mine. You can fill it with any number of combinations and it's good at breakast, brunch or an early lunch.

Laurie

I am surrounded by men, sons, husband, single brothers. Sundays I do a Rachel Ray thing and they think it's the perfect breakfast...what they'd order if they were eating at Cracker Barrel. Frozen (20 min. to table) buttermilk bisquits. A pound of sliced Jimmy Dean's sausage, Red eye gravy (made w/milk and coffee, ham base.) perfectly undercooked scrambled eggs. If they've been good, there might be some mini muffins. (albertson's). cleaning up is the hardest part.

I like making Biscuits & Gravy ala Chicken pot pie. I put two or three boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a 2qt. covered Dutch oven and bake until done. Remove the chicken and set aside, make a gravy out of the broth with flour, milk, and seasoning, add sliced mushrooms, peas, and onions, (I don’t like carrots) chop up the chicken into bit sized pieces and mix in gravy. Serve over hot biscuits.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

leftover meat hash, scrambled eggs and hashbrowns

tea breads(cinnamon raisin, cranberrry orange, banana nut) that you cut, toast and serve with flavored butter or cream cheese

denver or western sandwich - ham, peppers and onions on toast

yoghurt and fruit or cottage cheese and fruit - i've been having vanilla soy yoghurt with orange or cottage cheese with pineapple lately

breakfast wraps

toad in the hole - i'm going to be making this for johnnybird one day when we are both off the next two weeks

french toast with bacon and real maple syrup

cream of rice cereal made with milk and topped with real maple syrup - this is actually what john will eat as a snack late at night

damn. i ate at 430 and now i'm craving that western sandwich with ketchip and miracle whip :angry:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh my goodness, breakfast is my favorite meal. This is especially true in Mexico. You can get wonderful soft cooked scrambled eggs. Over-easy isn't bad either. The star is the chilequiles. This is a casserole sort of dish made with the left over corn tortilla "chips" from the night before. The chips are thicker than you usually find here and they are bathed in chicken broth and salsa type seasonings with fresh cheese. Sometimes there is chicken in there. One time I had chilequiles that included the BBQ from the day before diced up. When you add some "stand up" (read . . . not soupy) refried beans I am in heaven. Don't forget the jalapenos en escabeche to get the old heart started.

Any combo of eggs, cheese, sausage, potatoes, and salsa wrapped in a tortilla is also good in my book.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Oeufs en Cocotte, aka shirred eggs, aka baked eggs - simple, classy.

Butter a ramekin.

Line it with ham, or bacon, or spinach, or smoked salmon, or nothing.

Add 1 or 2 eggs (depending on size of ramekin). Don't break yolks.

Bake 325F/160C for 8-10 min., until just begins to set.

Remove, top with a spoonful of warm cream/milk and a sprinkle of cheese (and/or crumbled bacon, or fresh herbs, or...).

Back in oven until cheese melts and egg is done, 3-5 min. You want yolks soft but the whites set.

Serve in the ramekin.

Some recipes say to bake the ramekins in a water bath. It works if you don't.

A different idea, this time spicier:

Heuvos Rancheros - the poached-in-the-sauce variation, which has its own Spanish name but I can't remember it.

Fry chopped onion, garlic, chilies.

Add a can of chopped tomatoes, simmer.

Adjust seasoning (S+P, oregano, chili powder) to taste - you want some spice.

Slip in eggs (make a little 'crater' in the tomatoes for each egg), cover, and poach.

Serve w/tortillas, chopped cilantro, sour cream, jack cheese, chorizo.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

French toast (or pancakes) topped with thin sliced Granny apples sauteed in butter then tossed with brown sugar and cinnamon. Serve eggs on the side if you wish.

Bagels. Toasted and smeared with cream cheese then thick preserves.

Poached eggs on toast topped with quickly satueed onions and chopped tomatoes.

Spanish tortillas (egg dish, not the bread), or frittatas. Any kind of leftover diced meat, chopped veg (broccoli, spinach, asparagus, onions, tomatoes), starch (such as potaoes or chopped pasta), and grated cheese mixed in with eggs then poured in a small hot skillet. Cook on med low to bake the eggs. Run under the broiler the last minute or two to further puff the eggs and lightly brown the top. You can also add a little to the top before broiling if you wish. Cut in wedges or serve whole if doing only two eggs in a small skillet.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite