• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl Food

jhlurie

What your regional Apres-Booze meal ? Some notables I've seen are

Boston - Chinese Food

Philly - CheeseSteaks and Italian Sausages

NY - Anything

Chicago ???

LA ???

U.S. Southwest (the Americans) - Chili & Eggs

U.S. Southwest (the Latins) - Menudo

St. Louis - Slingers (similar to Chili & Eggs, but you put the whole breakfast - Eggs, Toast, Sausage or Ham - on the plate and then cover the entire thing with chili :biggrin: )

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I am a hot dogs or italian sausage (SAAAASAGE!) kind of guy

Someone told me with all the cash you get from eGullet you just bought this beauty...

odd_buns_of_steel.jpg

Oscar Meyer? You really don't know Perlow that well I guess.

Now if it was the Nathan's or Sabrett's van...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Taylor ham is a chopped and mildly spiced pork loaf...the size of a soft salami. Pale pinkish color, becomes a deeper pink/red when cooked. Original was Trenton Porkroll, but a few other brands are now available. Consumed by countless NJ partiers after massive quantities of alcohol, known to have qualities that actually ABSORB the alcohol remaining in your system, when paired with egg, cheese and a kaiser roll. I believe it works like the inside of Pampers..kinda solidifys the juices and the alcohol rumbling around in the morning after gut.

mildly spiced pork loaf

but also very salty and sweet

Ah, so we can add Ms. Levine to the list of those that needed to partake in this calssic hangover remedy :laugh: And yes, its very salty, and a little bit sweet. Part of its magic, you see.

[

What your regional Apres-Booze meal ? Some notables I've seen are

Boston - Chinese Food

Philly - CheeseSteaks and Italian Sausages

NY - Anything

Chicago ???

LA ???

from college days -grape juice(welch's of course) and beef on 'weck down at dickinson's or a bismark from the bakery around the corner

from early marriage - huervos rancheros

now - try not to get to that point as i push 50

BACK to on topic- we have our tree untrimming party on Stupid Bowl Sunday(unless my team is playing - last year the tree didn't get done till just before Valentine's day). The menu tends to be chili, stew or jambalaya(venison sausage and chicken is the best), beer, baked tortilla chips, and chocolate mousse pie with the last of the eggnog.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

a common nacho sauce is Velveeta 'cheese' melted with a can of Ro-Tel chile/tomatoes.

are you from the midwest by any chance?! :wink:

Don't know if HB is from the midwest or not, but having lived a great portion of my life at various places throughout the U.S. Southwest, can tell you that everyone's "fall back" quick Chile con Queso recipe is exactly that, Velveeta melted with a can of Ro-Tel.

Although I should add that even down here, it's no one's idea of "haute cuisine," not even the people who make it all the time (including college kids in dorm rooms with microwaves). We know what it is. :raz: And what it ain't. :biggrin:

So, yeah, I've got better recipes for Chile Con Queso - many with fresh peppers, and some that even include chorizo - but in a pinch - you can't beat good old Velveeta & Ro-Tel. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Taylor ham is a chopped and  mildly spiced pork loaf...the size of a soft salami. Pale pinkish color, becomes a deeper pink/red when cooked.  Original was Trenton Porkroll,  but a few other brands are now available. Consumed by countless NJ partiers after massive quantities of alcohol, known to have qualities that actually ABSORB the alcohol remaining in your system, when paired with egg, cheese and a kaiser roll.  I believe it works like the inside of Pampers..kinda solidifys the juices and the alcohol rumbling around in the morning after gut.

Better known as pork roll. When my brother comes down from NJ to visit me here in the Capital of the Confederacy, he knows that the entrance fee to my house is a big ol' chunk of pork roll. :biggrin:

Oh, and before I forget:

E A G L E S EAGLES!!!!!

Edited by IsItSoupYet? (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Pigs in blankets, with French's mustard.

Pork on the grill. (Maybe it's time to smoke a butt?)

Beer made in America by St. Louisians.

Oops, almost forgot the big bowl of salami and eggs. Yummy.

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

Oops, almost forgot the big bowl of salami and eggs.  Yummy.

Please expound!

you know, cube a Hebrew National Salami, fry (saute) in some butter; add a bunch of scrambled eggs. Serve with toast points (delicately trim the crusts).

Makes for good burping.

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

Oops, almost forgot the big bowl of salami and eggs.  Yummy.

Please expound!

you know, cube a Hebrew National Salami, fry (saute) in some butter; add a bunch of scrambled eggs. Serve with toast points (delicately trim the crusts).

Makes for good burping.

Instead of cubing them before frying do you ever leave them as discs and cut them afterward (or just EAT them as discs)? For me, frying a Salami of that configuration is all about how the salami cups itself, and the variations in taste between the edges and the inside.

I was a Hebrew National Salami loyalist for this purpose for many years, but have recently been using the Applegate Farms Salami--which I HATE when its not fried but LOVE when it is.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

My dad used to cut it in half, and then into half-moons. I don't know why I started cubing it -- probably because it deters me from shoving large half-moons of salami into my mouth.

Have you ever fried the sliced discs of salami until its cups, and then served with a dollop of creme fraische and caviar?

Er... anyone actually holding a Superbowl Party? Are your food choices any more ambitious if you are?

My best friend Kate and I are, we are having (now, I realize) chicken wing pizza, beer, and tequila. Oh, and thanks, everyone--mini-reubens. She's been bugging me about the menu . . . :biggrin:

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

i now have to work till 5 then my firend, who is from england, is coming over and i will attempt to explain american football to her. since her husband is from the great garden state and understands american football he tends to be a bit snarky with her if she asks questions while he is watching a game and on the computer at the same time.

i found some white stilton with apricots, some glouscter with herbs so we will have those with some nice crackers, smoky black bean soup, and don't know what we will have for afters. :rolleyes:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

admit it. You've gastronomically profiled your SBowl party guests and put sour cream in your guacamole. This year, in the spirit of American ingenuity, my foodie bretheren, I say unto you, "JUMP THE SHARK"! Break out the ramekins, European butter pats and let the devil take the hindmost!

For all y'all who are still finalizing your menus -

Here's a little something for the fellows - combines all the major food groups:

Beer-Cheese Dip

1 C good, strong beer - no "lite" types

3 6-oz pkgs prepared sharp cheddar cheese spread

2 T butter - room temp

1/2 yellow onion, coarsely chopped

1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped

1 t Worsty

1 1/2 oz bleu cheese (or more, to taste)

1 large round loaf of bread

Put all ingredients except bread into blender or food processor and process until thoroughly combined.

Dig out center of bread to make a well to hold about 1 1/2 cups. Place on large platter. Tear the bread you dug out into "dipping size" chunks and arrange around the loaf. Pour the beer-cheese dip into center.

After the bread chunks are gone, get a sharp, serrated knife and place on platter for guests to cut bread "bowl" into more chunks.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

...anyone actually holding a Superbowl Party?  Are your food choices any more ambitious if you are?

A couple friends invited themselves over so I guess I am. :smile:

Beer will be homebrewed Belgian White Bier and Octoberfest.

Buffalo Wings. I bought a gallon of sauce from The Anchor Bar in Buffalo New York, home of the original buffalo wings. They list several ingredients but the four most prominant are: cayenne pepper, water, vinegar, and oil. (Farther down this list is garlic powder.) Everything else seems to have been selected by the lab to give it a long shelf life. From those ingredients I should be able to duplicate their flavor profile and not have to buy it again.

Italian Beef Sandwich In honor of my Chicago Bears wonderful 4-12 season.

makes about 6-8 sandwiches

3-4 pound boneless chuck roast

6 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tbsp dry crushed red pepper flakes

1 tbsp oregano

1 tbsp salt

1 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper

1 cup water

2 bay leaves

sausage rolls

3 thin slices Swiss cheese per sandwich

Preheat oven to 250°F. Combine garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt and pepper. Rub into roast. Place water into a sauce pan not much larger than the roast; add roast and bay leaves. Cover with a lid and bake for 3 hours; basting about once every hour.

Remove beef from pan and let sit for about 15 minutes. (This allows the juices to evenly flow through-out the meat.) Use a deli slicer to thinly slice the meat or use an extremely sharp knife.

Test the gravy in the pan and adjust seasonings. Note: It should have a strong pepper taste to it. You may optionally add 1/4 cup barbecue sauce.

Turn broiler on and broil opened sausage rolls for about 2 minutes to brown. Use tongs to place meat on rolls; top each with 3 slices Swiss cheese. Broil till cheese melts. Serve with gravy for dipping.

Thomas Keller's Lemon Tart

From The French Laundry Cookbook.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Anyone got a good cole slaw recipe for topping a pulled pork sangwich?  Yeah, I know it's kind of obvious, but it can't hurt to ask.  I like the creamy kind.

Thin slice some cabbage and mix with a sauce.

Whisk together:

4 parts mayonnaise

1 part sugar

1 part vinegar

pinch of salt

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Stone, I have a great recipe courtesy of Michael and Wendy Jordan of Rosemary's Restaurant and Rosemary's at the Rio:

Maytag Blue Cheese Slaw:

1/2 head green cabbage, shredded

1 cp Maytag blue cheese mayonnaise (see below)

3 green onions, sliced thinly

1/4 cp. maytag blue cheese

ground pepper and kosher salt to taste

Toss cabbage with just enough mayonnaise to coat. Add half of geen onion and half of cheese (use the rest to garnish the platter). Season with kosher salt and ground pepper. Toss well.

Maytag Blue Chees Mayonnaise

1 egg

2 tbsp. lemon juice

1 tbsp. dijon mustard

2 tbsp. sherry vinegar

2 cps. peanut oil

1 oz. maytag blue cheese, crumbled

In food processor combine eggs, lemon juice, mustard and vinegar. Turn on machine for 30 seconds, then slowly add peanut oil. Season with salt and pepper and add blue cheese. Run machine for 5 seconds. Taste for seasoning. Push mayonnaise through fine mesh strainer.

Anyone got a good cole slaw recipe for topping a pulled pork sangwich?  Yeah, I know it's kind of obvious, but it can't hurt to ask.  I like the creamy kind.

Thin slice some cabbage and mix with a sauce.

Whisk together:

4 parts mayonnaise

1 part sugar

1 part vinegar

pinch of salt

I've got something similar:

1 C mayo

1/2 C sugar

1/4 C vinegar

Dash of Durkee's Famous Sauce....